The Blind Side was a lie!

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

"Hey Mom, Dad, did ya'll adopt me?"
"Yes son"

You think he'd go: "Let me see the papers"?

or perhaps he'll trust his 'parents' word?

He was born in 86. He moved in with them in 04. 

Anybody calling somebody mom and dad after a couple of months is probably in need of a conservatorship. 

On 8/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, Soko said:

This is sorta like blaming the old lady for being telephone scammed, only Oher was a teenager and his “parents” were the scammers. Probably should’ve been smarter, sure, but he was probably so happy that he just went along with it. I’m not sure that that is a part of being illiterate (was that an established fact?), maybe childlike naivety at most. Most people, let alone teenagers, probably don’t expect their parents to do stuff like this. 

Except he's not an old lady. He was an adult. 

If their treatment of him was so abhorrent, why was he happy to go along with it?

Literature is a sliding scale, Oher is documented as having serious academic difficulties far below his grade level in his district. When you consider what average is in the district he was in, it paints a pretty grim picture.

You're letting the movie influence your view of this. Oher was never the soft spoken baby from the movie. 

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not only that they didn't adopt him, but they used him to enrich themselves while he got nothing from those royalties and deals, and then continued to use the whole "he's our adopted son!" thing to parlay more deals and events to enrich themselves.

While true, they could have left him on the street. So there's give and take here. 

There's also no details out yet about the conservatorship. There may be money for Oher. We just don't know yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We'll see have to see if what Oher alleges is true, but if it is, trusting family doesn't mean he's illiterate. Wouldn't be the first time somebody signed legal documents without reading them because a trusted person put the docs in front of them and misrepresented what was in the documents. And hell, it's easy to understand how a literate 18 year old who did read the documents might not comprehend the difference between an adoption and a conservatorship, especially if the people who are supposed to be his family are giving him incorrect information.

Why do people say he's family? He lived with them when he was an adult for less than a year. 

Placing your entire faith in a group who you've known for less than a year is bizarre. 

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

There's no merit to arguing a young man should be defrauded for his own good 

We don't know enough to say that's the case though. It'll play out in court and we'll see what happens.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:55 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Except he's not an old lady. He was an adult. 

If their treatment of him was so abhorrent, why was he happy to go along with it?

Literature is a sliding scale, Oher is documented as having serious academic difficulties far below his grade level in his district. When you consider what average is in the district he was in, it paints a pretty grim picture.

You're letting the movie influence your view of this. Oher was never the soft spoken baby from the movie. 

I didn’t see the movie, so you’re wrong on that assumption, lol. 

Also didn’t say their treatment was so “abhorrent”, that’s out of the blue. In fact, I imagine the opposite is true, which is probably why he was so trusting of them in the first place. 

You’re basically saying since he isn’t academically smart/was too naive and trusting, that he was rightfully in a conservatorship, right? I mean let’s just call a spade a spade at this point, no reason to dance around the ignorance.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Soko said:

I didn’t see the movie, so you’re wrong on that assumption, lol. 

Also didn’t say their treatment was so “abhorrent”, that’s out of the blue. In fact, I imagine the opposite is true, which is probably why he was so trusting of them in the first place. 

You’re basically saying since he isn’t academically smart/was too naive and trusting, that he was rightfully in a conservatorship, right? I mean let’s just call a spade a spade at this point, no reason to dance around the ignorance.

Who's dancing around it? 

Michael Oher at 18 was literally too ignorant of functional society to survive in it. 

57 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why do people say he's family? He lived with them when he was an adult for less than a year. 

Placing your entire faith in a group who you've known for less than a year is bizarre. 

Not really interested in the playing dumb act you're doing. Enjoy your night.

• Like 4