The Blind Side was a lie!

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, Trey Lance said:

But I say this to say that Oher definitely has every right to not like the movie based on how he is portrayed, whether it's a first world problem or not. 

Oh he absolutely does. I'm simply stating that I don't see that going over well once scrutinized (if it is, which right now it's not- it's fan talk at present) and a lot of people (not Oher, to my knowledge) are jumping to a conclusion based off of his opinion of the movie and whatever strained relationship he may or may not have had with the family following the movie's release. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

According to the article, he was too focused on football to really dig into these things. When he retired, he hired an attorney to look everything over and then just got everything back in February is what I understand.

If that pans out, I hope whoever his agent, attorney, whoever during his playing days gets hammered and black listed. Missing something that major with all the hoopla over the years is, frankly, pretty unforgivable. I don't blame Oher for not knowing- that part checks out for the most part- but someone made a hefty sum of money from him a long time ago to figure this stuff out. 

Assuming what you read is correct, good on him finding different counsel to handle it in that case. A lot of guys tend to stick with their agent/rep they've had, and in this case, that may be a big part of the problem 

So . . . This is going to confirm that I am an *******, but considering the Britney Spears conservatorship debacle, it's worth considering. 

Isn't a conservatorship the exact right thing to do when dealing with a semi literature person who is about to make tens of millions of dollars? Especially one with a proven track record of making poor choices?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So . . . This is going to confirm that I am an *******, but considering the Britney Spears conservatorship debacle, it's worth considering. 

Isn't a conservatorship the exact right thing to do when dealing with a semi literature person who is about to make tens of millions of dollars? Especially one with a proven track record of making poor choices?

I feel like the issue is about Oher feeling like they explained the conservatorship as an adoption.  He thought he was adopted.  He was not.  And he's not happy about that.  Add in the lost revenue from that movie and he's really not happy.

Optics are terrible.  Even if the family was trying to do right by him, they did mislead him.  

• Like 4

On 8/15/2023 at 3:23 PM, vegas492 said:

I feel like the issue is about Oher feeling like they explained the conservatorship as an adoption.  He thought he was adopted.  He was not.  And he's not happy about that.  Add in the lost revenue from that movie and he's really not happy.

Optics are terrible.  Even if the family was trying to do right by him, they did mislead him.  

Isn't being literature to the point you can't tell the difference between adoption and conservatorship as an adult, a very good reason that somebody should be in a conservatorship in the first place? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Isn't being illiterate to the point you can't tell the difference between adoption and conservatorship as an adult, a very good reason that somebody should be in a conservatorship in the first place? 

"Hey Mom, Dad, did ya'll adopt me?"
"Yes son"

You think he'd go: "Let me see the papers"?

or perhaps he'll trust his 'parents' word?

Edited by RuskieTitan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tough pill for some people to swallow, but yes. 

Add in that he was 18, it's possibly not even as scandalous as some may think it is. Yes, it's possible to formally adopt an 18 year old, but how often do you see that happening? I'd be interested in knowing how they presented it to him in person- ie: "We'll take care of you" vs "We are going to formally adopt you". 

My overall opinion of them isn't likely to improve much, but it's very possible the Tuohy's and Oher were at a disconnect when discussing their respective roles at the time. Just because he thought he was formally adopted doesn't mean that was their intent. Just because they didn't formally adopt him doesn't mean they defrauded him (in that regard). 

Like I've said before, legal and moral are two different playing fields. Legally, who knows how this plays out. Morally, the optics could look sketchy, but there not be anything actually legally wrong with any of it. 

Not to be that guy, but we're talking about someone who once rocked a 0.6 GPA, not Myron Rolle. I can feel bad for Oher if he's hurt because he thought he was a fully fledged adopted member of the family and his heart is broken. If he's just pissed because he was too illiterate to comprehend what was put in front of him....not so much. Like you said, it's possible that they were (at least trying to) act in his best interest at the time. Maybe, just maybe, they're all ignorant of the peculiarities of the situation and figured he wouldn't care, given the NFL money. People are quick to paint then out as worse than they already look. 

Weird weird weird situation altogether. 

On 8/15/2023 at 3:23 PM, vegas492 said:

On 8/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Isn't being literature to the point you can't tell the difference between adoption and conservatorship as an adult, a very good reason that somebody should be in a conservatorship in the first place? 

Not only that they didn't adopt him, but they used him to enrich themselves while he got nothing from those royalties and deals, and then continued to use the whole "he's our adopted son!" thing to parlay more deals and events to enrich themselves.

• Like 6

This is sorta like blaming the old lady for being telephone scammed, only Oher was a teenager and his “parents” were the scammers. Probably should’ve been smarter, sure, but he was probably so happy that he just went along with it. I’m not sure that that is a part of being illiterate (was that an established fact?), maybe childlike naivety at most. Most people, let alone teenagers, probably don’t expect their parents to do stuff like this. 

• Like 1

We'll see have to see if what Oher alleges is true, but if it is, trusting family doesn't mean he's illiterate. Wouldn't be the first time somebody signed legal documents without reading them because a trusted person put the docs in front of them and misrepresented what was in the documents. And hell, it's easy to understand how a literate 18 year old who did read the documents might not comprehend the difference between an adoption and a conservatorship, especially if the people who are supposed to be his family are giving him incorrect information.

• Like 3