The Blind Side was a lie!

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oher strikes me as a weird dude, if we're being honest. I never totally understood his beef with the movie. Was it 100% accurate? Nah. Neither was Lincoln. Neither was The Passion. Neither are documentaries for the most part. I get it, being his life story. But I remember him being pretty critical based on it somehow hurting his career potential- bro, you were a 1st round pick to one of the best run franchises in the league and made a ton of money, that movie didn't harm your brand at all. If anything, it made you a bigger deal than you arguably wound up being. Again, royalties aside, he benefitted. Why beef at all? But whatever. That brings us up to post Ole Miss...

It does suck to have be perceived as someone completely different though. Movie Oher was much weaker and was essentially saved by the family. 

Real life Oher had to deal with a lot more **** that was not mentioned in the movie either. 

Edited by Trey Lance
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trey Lance said:

It does suck to have be perceived as someone completely different though. Movie Oher was much weaker and was essentially saved by the family. 

Real life Oher had to deal with a lot more **** that was not mentioned in the movie either. 

Sucks, sure, but c'mon. Literally anyone could claim that. If the basis of someone's beef is that a movie portrayal of them wasn't realistic enough ....first world problems. There's a kid in the Memphis area right now going through the same that would absolutely kill for the "raw deal" Oher is claiming he got. And was it really that different? People are naturally gonna ask "Ok, but you got to live in a nice house and they got you tutoring, without which you wouldn't have even been eligible for JUCO, and you're worried about it not being dramatized enough?". 

Again, not saying he doesn't have a legal complaint. Not saying he doesn't have a moral complaint. I hope the Tuohy's get reamed if it's shown they were shady, because I don't like charlatans. But the sympathy card is gonna be a tough one to play. 

Let me be clear- I do not condone the rich taking advantage of the disadvantaged, adults taking advantage of 18 year olds who are "adults", or anyone using someone else's plight to get rich. Any of those things happened, I'll be the first to admonish the guilty party. 

But....I'd counsel Oher to steer clear from any emotional based argument that could appear or be spun as ungrateful. That doesn't play well with juries in my experience. To his credit, I haven't seen where he has. I'd stick solely to the legalities of anything formally signed (fraud claim, maybe). Either way, amongst fans more than anything, it's bound to wind up divisive. There's undoubtedly a lot of people who think the Tuohy's walk on water. I wouldn't give them a single ounce of ammo to sling back and muddy any legitimate claim he has. 

On a side note- anyone remember the other sort of similar biopic? If I recall, there were a lot of criticisms about that one, too, where a family took someone in and really exaggerated their role. Maybe it was a coachnthat took someone in? Heck, it might've just been an article. I can't remember who it was or what ever happened with it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

1. This whole thing sucks.

2. If the movie came out a decade or so ago, how is Michael just figuring out he wasn't getting royalties 

3. Were his agent and attorney asleep at the wheel? I know they didn't sign on until draft time but how did they never get these documents?

According to the article, he was too focused on football to really dig into these things. When he retired, he hired an attorney to look everything over and then just got everything back in February is what I understand.

13 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Tuohy's did indeed provide him a home and assistance in getting into school in the first place- something that, even based on his own admission, probably wouldn't have ever happened for him otherwise. That isn't to say he must always be unconditionally grateful and they can do no wrong, only to say he benefitted greatly from then as well, adding another layer onto the morality of the situation as a whole. It's not as if he didn't benefit in any way, so my sympathy is minimal for him while being rock bottom for the Tuohy's. 

We have to teach the good parts of forced work too!

21 minutes ago, Kepler said:

We have to teach the good parts of forced work too!

I appreciate the snark, but it's misplaced. That's Florida's job, not mine. 

Did they force him to play football? No. Did they force him to live with them? No. Did they force him to go play at Ole Miss and then the NFL? No. 

The problem with the movie is that, at least in part, it was partially their story too. Now, was it cringey? Absolutely. I haven't held back in my criticisms of them. Was it enough of a "group" topic to say he was unjustly "used"? The argument can be made that without him, they likely have no story to tell. However, the inverse is equally as likely. 

Basically, there's gray areas here. The film was based on Lewis' book, at least in part  the portion of the book following Oher (and, in my personal opinion a very large and targeted part). There's a lot more that goes into it all than "It was MY story". 

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sucks, sure, but c'mon. Literally anyone could claim that. If the basis of someone's beef is that a movie portrayal of them wasn't realistic enough ....

I mean it probably does suck forming new relationships with people in your life with the chance that they formed their opinion on you. 

But I say this to say that Oher definitely has every right to not like the movie based on how he is portrayed, whether it's a first world problem or not.