The Blind Side was a lie!

RaidersAreOne

For those who don't want to read the article, here's the gist:

The Tuohy family promised Michael they would adopt him when he turned 18. Instead, once he turned 18 they had him sign a document making them conservators over him and never legally adopted him (which he didn't know). That conservatorship allowed them to sign the movie deal which gave their entire family (not Oher) millions in royalties for the movie. Additionally, they continue to refer to Michael as their "adopted son" in additional things to promote Leigh Ann's personal ventures (speakerships, foundations, etc.) despite Oher not being legally adopted by them in any way.

He allegedly found out about all of this in February of this year, that's why the suit is happening now.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

For those who don't want to read the article, here's the gist:

The Tuohy family promised Michael they would adopt him when he turned 18. Instead, once he turned 18 they had him sign a document making them conservators over him and never legally adopted him (which he didn't know). That conservatorship allowed them to sign the movie deal which gave their entire family (not Oher) millions in royalties for the movie. Additionally, they continue to refer to Michael as their "adopted son" in additional things to promote Leigh Ann's personal ventures (speakerships, foundations, etc.) despite Oher not being legally adopted by them in any way.

He allegedly found out about all of this in February of this year, that's why the suit is happening now.

If the Tuoys or past family members in Mississippi/Tennessee own(ed) a plantation, I’ve got bingo.

• Like 12

Read the article, it's pretty messed up considering he thought he was adopted and they had manipulated him into thinking so, while in reality using their status to further enrich themselves and their biological children. Disgusting, and doubly so that Leigh Ann continues to exploit his name.

They should have legally adopted him, and include him in the royalties for the movie. But their true colors are now coming out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Read the article, it's pretty messed up considering he thought he was adopted and they had manipulated him into thinking so, while in reality using their status to further enrich themselves and their biological children. Disgusting, and doubly so that Leigh Ann continues to exploit his name.

They should have legally adopted him, and include him in the royalties for the movie. But their true colors are now coming out. 

All while being Ole Miss boosters to boot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Wait, is this like, new information?  I thought everyone already knew this.

i think everyone had more or less intuited that there was something slimy going on because, well, duh, but i'm not sure we had *all* of the details until now? but yeah. pretty nasty stuff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i think everyone had more or less intuited that there was something slimy going on because, well, duh, but i'm not sure we had *all* of the details until now? but yeah. pretty nasty stuff.

Yeah, it seems like this is new info for Oher, and I guess I'm just remembering previously known general sliminess in that whole situation.

Edited by Daniel