2023-24 Around the NFL Thread

TheRealMcCoy

14 hours ago, Last Stand said:

People said Andy choked before KC. 

kyle has never had the guy. He has his weaknesses but coaches can fix that like players can. If they ever fired him I’d hope the eagles would roll out the red carpet for him

jalen hurts would be life changing for shanahan 

Jalen Hurts would be a very bad fit for Shanahan's offense in my opinion. He needs a quick processor and even though we use our fair share of condensed sets, don't think Jalen is particularly good at throwing to the middle of the field. 

6 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Jalen Hurts would be a very bad fit for Shanahan's offense in my opinion. He needs a quick processor and even though we use our fair share of condensed sets, don't think Jalen is particularly good at throwing to the middle of the field. 

I think he can be coached up. He’s got the tools. 

Throwing in the seams and short throws isn't the issue for Hurts.  His issues are being able to process what is happening immediately after the snap.  If his 1st read isn't immediately there he gets antsy which becomes magnified when route concepts take longer to develop and or receivers have difficulty uncovering quickly. 

He's also not good at hitting outbreaking routes outside the numbers.  That has more to do with his physical limitations though.

45 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Throwing in the seams and short throws isn't the issue for Hurts.  His issues are being able to process what is happening immediately after the snap.  If his 1st read isn't immediately there he gets antsy which becomes magnified when route concepts take longer to develop and or receivers have difficulty uncovering quickly. 

He's also not good at hitting outbreaking routes outside the numbers.  That has more to do with his physical limitations though.

A lot of processing is coaching. Mahomes just 2 years ago said he was just learning how to read a defense and that’s with Andy Reid and being in the same offensive system for years his entire professional career.

jalen hurts isn’t mahomes obviously but if the baby goat needed to improve his processing so does Jalen hurts. I think from a coaching standpoint he’s been taught look for the explosive play on every down. Nick has said as much. They want explosive plays and they want them often. Jalen needs adequate coaching on how to take what the defense gives him. 

if shanahan was fired the eagles would be stupid not to hire him and shanahan would likely shepherd a new and improved Jalen hurts

the thing about Jalen is he throws a well placed accurate ball. Outside inside his passes always look nice. They’re placed well. His understanding of what to do and where is what’s severely lacking. His understanding of where to look on the football field first is severely lacking from a coaching standpoint

every playcall has a primary. If the coaches playcall isn’t targeting the right primary against the defense then now it falls on the QB to see that and bail ideally to the 2nd or 3rd depending on how they see the defense. 

Andy has taken care of the primary for mahomes’ entire career. Mahomes has now developed knowing with other guy to go to in a given scenario. 

if Jalen can have a coach take care of making the correct play calls like in 2022, then I do believe he can develop the other stuff. But if they miss on Kellen Moore I think likely Jalen will be a lost cause because too much bad coaching will typically make QBs unsalvageable. Tbh this is a pretty critical year from a coaching standpoint for Jalen. He needs a guy to reset his development path now. Joe Brady did this for Josh Allen this past year. 

23 hours ago, Last Stand said:

A lot of processing is coaching. Mahomes just 2 years ago said he was just learning how to read a defense and that’s with Andy Reid and being in the same offensive system for years his entire professional career.

jalen hurts isn’t mahomes obviously but if the baby goat needed to improve his processing so does Jalen hurts. I think from a coaching standpoint he’s been taught look for the explosive play on every down. Nick has said as much. They want explosive plays and they want them often. Jalen needs adequate coaching on how to take what the defense gives him. 

if shanahan was fired the eagles would be stupid not to hire him and shanahan would likely shepherd a new and improved Jalen hurts

the thing about Jalen is he throws a well placed accurate ball. Outside inside his passes always look nice. They’re placed well. His understanding of what to do and where is what’s severely lacking. His understanding of where to look on the football field first is severely lacking from a coaching standpoint

every playcall has a primary. If the coaches playcall isn’t targeting the right primary against the defense then now it falls on the QB to see that and bail ideally to the 2nd or 3rd depending on how they see the defense. 

Andy has taken care of the primary for mahomes’ entire career. Mahomes has now developed knowing with other guy to go to in a given scenario. 

if Jalen can have a coach take care of making the correct play calls like in 2022, then I do believe he can develop the other stuff. But if they miss on Kellen Moore I think likely Jalen will be a lost cause because too much bad coaching will typically make QBs unsalvageable. Tbh this is a pretty critical year from a coaching standpoint for Jalen. He needs a guy to reset his development path now. Joe Brady did this for Josh Allen this past year. 

We'll see.  I agree it's a pivotal year for Jalen though.  If he has another year like 2023 you have to consider replacing him. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

We'll see.  I agree it's a pivotal year for Jalen though.  If he has another year like 2023 you have to consider replacing him. 

I agree with that. The type of year he has will matter a lot. Again sometimes when you flub coaching you jointly flub the QB. People talk about Herbert a lot but he’s another guy that if Greg Roman doesn’t mesh you have likely started an uncontrollable descent for the player where he flashes but is inconsistent

consistency, efficiency, creativity at the coaching level is pretty much the best and only way to fully realize a QBs potential. 

Jalen Hurts is the only QB in NFL history to throw for 300+ yds, rush for 70+ yds and 3TD in a game. 

He accomplished that in a SB!!!!

You don't give up on that, period. You figure out how not to give up a 75yd game ending drive to Pat MF Mahomes in 5 minutes instead. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Jalen Hurts is the only QB in NFL history to throw for 300+ yds, rush for 70+ yds and 3TD in a game. 

He accomplished that in a SB!!!!

You don't give up on that, period. You figure out how not to give up a 75yd game ending drive to Pat MF Mahomes in 5 minutes instead. 

That's like saying the Eagles should never have moved on from Nick Foles because he went toe to toe with the goat and outperformed him to win the teams 1st SB.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

That's like saying the Eagles should never have moved on from Nick Foles because he went toe to toe with the goat and outperformed him to win the teams 1st SB.

Well in hindsight given what transpired with Carson Wentz. What decision would of been better?

Jalen Hurts isn't the issue.