The Road to 53: The Birds cut the dead weight

EaglesPeteC

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

So who is the PR now or is Howie going to cut a TE (Calcaterra) and promote Covey before week 1?

Somebody has to go

No PR?

No Punter?

they can elevate 2 players per week, each individual player up to 3 times. So they basically have 3 weeks of the season to find a better punter.

So you'll see guys like him get deactivated in lieu of those needed positions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

He doesn't have to be Micah, can he be a mixture of his actual NFL Comp by most experts and you be happy , Hassan Reddick?

Is Reddick a pass rusher or do you consider him a coverage LB too because in college that wasn't what he was asked to do?

What are you talking about?  Are you saying Reddick did not rush the passer in college?  Hasson Reddick had 22 TFLs and 9.5 sacks his final year at Temple, year before that had 13 TFLs and 5 sacks.

Also mind you Micah Parsons to me is probably the 2nd best OLB prospect I have seen in almost 25 years.  Luke Kuechly is the only one I had rated over him.  Now granted he has been an edge in the NFL, I would have thought he would be a 3/4 OLB maybe but a 4/3 DE is a little surprise.  Either way the kid is super elite and Nolan Smith to me is not super elite like that at all.  

12 hours ago, Jays3 said:

Thing that a lotta people misunderstand is that sack numbers aren’t everything. In fact, most of Brandon grahams career would be considered “not high sack numbers”. Brandon Graham is always in the QBs face though and that could actually be more effective than a sack at times.

Nolan smith has everything you want in a prospect though. He’s got speed, strength, a good motor, and good pass rush moves. I think he will be fine.

For a guy that ran a 4.39 30 and had a 41+" vertical, his pressure numbers are pretty suspect.  I really doubt he is ever some 10-15 sack guy in the NFL because he never has shown the ability to do that exactly.  Might be better as a speed ILB potentially.  

He also had two pretty big injuries that caused him to miss 6-7 games and miss the remainder of the year in 2020 and 2022.  

Super smart kid and very intelligent, great teammate and clearly great athlete.  Those are his attributes and I am sure he will work and improve, great insurance policy if Reddick goes down but not sure he will ever be that impactful of a pass rusher.  

13 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

Why would you cut Ringo?  It's way to early to give up on him and he'd 100% get claimed.

I said probably Goodrich, and yes to me why not keep another edge instead of keeping that many corners when a lot of them will not see the field.  Unless they view Goodrich as a backup slot to Maddox because no way Ringo or Ricks or even Jobe really could be backup slot guys.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I said probably Goodrich, and yes to me why not keep another edge instead of keeping that many corners when a lot of them will not see the field.  Unless they view Goodrich as a backup slot to Maddox because no way Ringo or Ricks or even Jobe really could be backup slot guys.  

It is really simple. The guys they kept were the ones that were most likely to be claimed lol. It is that simple. You keep the guys you think are the least likely to make it to your PS and cut the ones you are ok with losing. And it worked out cause we kept all the young guys we really liked.

Goodrich is going to be the backup slot if Maddox goes down for extended time. The Eagles will likely also use a decent amount of 4 CB sets with Maddox playing a safety like role and either Bradberry or Goodrich playing in the slot with Jobe filling in outside. The only CB that was likely even cuttable for the Eagles was Ricks, but they like his talent to much so they were forced to keep him on the roster. Ringo was a sizable investment so cutting him was never an option.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

For a guy that ran a 4.39 30 and had a 41+" vertical, his pressure numbers are pretty suspect.  I really doubt he is ever some 10-15 sack guy in the NFL because he never has shown the ability to do that exactly.  Might be better as a speed ILB potentially.  

I’m just gonna quote this point made in this article and link the article for reference:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/new-york-giants-draft-prospect-edge-nolan-smith

In his college career, Smith averaged a sack every 49 pass-rushing reps; that’s better than LSU’s B.J. Ojulari and Texas Tech’s Tyree Wilson. Here are Pro Football Focus’ pass-rush win rate statistics from the 2022 season:

• Nolan Smith: 25.5%
  • Tyree Wilson: 22.3%
  • Will Anderson: 20.4%
  • B.J. Ojulari: 18.9%
  • Lukas Van Ness: 18.8%
  • Myles Murphy: 14.3%
  • Like 2

Just for comparison sake to see how good 1 sack in every 49 snaps is, haason reddick and Myles Garrett tied the nfl with fewest snaps per sack at 45.4. So Nolan’s college production actually wasn’t too far off that number. 

and yes, I realize college is vastly different than the nfl, I’m just saying regardless of the “low sack totals” Nolan smith was a very productive pass rusher in college.

• Like 1

Just now, Jays3 said:

I’m just gonna quote this point made in this article and link the article for reference:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/new-york-giants-draft-prospect-edge-nolan-smith

In his college career, Smith averaged a sack every 49 pass-rushing reps; that’s better than LSU’s B.J. Ojulari and Texas Tech’s Tyree Wilson. Here are Pro Football Focus’ pass-rush win rate statistics from the 2022 season:

• Nolan Smith: 25.5%
  • Tyree Wilson: 22.3%
  • Will Anderson: 20.4%
  • B.J. Ojulari: 18.9%
  • Lukas Van Ness: 18.8%
  • Myles Murphy: 14.3%

That is clearly a skewed statistic because he was not asked to rush the passer that often or he was literally not playing because he got freaking hurt!  Better than Will Anderson Jr?  Yeah right, let me guess that "statistic" does not take into account freaking double teams or chipping with the TE or RB?  

Lukas Van Ness was a backup on Iowa and did not play that often at all, again skewed stat.  

Was Nolan Smith on a good pace currently, no doubt about it before he got hurt but Georgia has a horses *** scheduled to be honest with you, especially compared to the SEC West.  Last year sure Oregon was a tough game on paper but obviously not in that killing, the Samford, South Carolina before they figured it out, Kent State, Missouri, Auburn, Vandy who is improved but still... then Florida who sucked last year then Tennessee as the first real test...oh wait Nolan Smith was injured from that Tennessee game forward....

So yeah he had success but it was against some crap competition and even take this up coming season they do not play a real game until Kentucky maybe and that is not till October 7th.  I guess South Carolina will be harder than before but still is a long shot.  And only real competition is Ole Miss and Tennessee at the end of the year.  Compared to schedules Alabama has, yeah Georgia is pretty easy.  Alabama in their first nine games has to play seven good teams in Texas, Ole Miss, Miss State, A&M, Arkansas, Tennessee and LSU.  Only two easy games in that stretch.

So to find some stat where outliers are not explained or included, yeah forget that.  That stat says Nolan Smith is better than Will Anderson Jr, that is total horse **** and not true at all.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is clearly a skewed statistic because he was not asked to rush the passer that often or he was literally not playing because he got freaking hurt!  Better than Will Anderson Jr?  Yeah right, let me guess that "statistic" does not take into account freaking double teams or chipping with the TE or RB?  

Lukas Van Ness was a backup on Iowa and did not play that often at all, again skewed stat.  

Was Nolan Smith on a good pace currently, no doubt about it before he got hurt but Georgia has a horses *** scheduled to be honest with you, especially compared to the SEC West.  Last year sure Oregon was a tough game on paper but obviously not in that killing, the Samford, South Carolina before they figured it out, Kent State, Missouri, Auburn, Vandy who is improved but still... then Florida who sucked last year then Tennessee as the first real test...oh wait Nolan Smith was injured from that Tennessee game forward....

So yeah he had success but it was against some crap competition and even take this up coming season they do not play a real game until Kentucky maybe and that is not till October 7th.  I guess South Carolina will be harder than before but still is a long shot.  And only real competition is Ole Miss and Tennessee at the end of the year.  Compared to schedules Alabama has, yeah Georgia is pretty easy.  Alabama in their first nine games has to play seven good teams in Texas, Ole Miss, Miss State, A&M, Arkansas, Tennessee and LSU.  Only two easy games in that stretch.

So to find some stat where outliers are not explained or included, yeah forget that.  That stat says Nolan Smith is better than Will Anderson Jr, that is total horse **** and not true at all.  

This stat is based on all pass rush attempts, it’s not a skewed stat. Take it however you want to but it’s comparing all pass rush attempts between all those players.

Now, yes, I agree that the teammates he had at Georgia made it easier for him to get more one on one opportunities, but that’s exactly why I’ve been saying that I think Nolan smith was drafted into a very good situation. He’s gonna get a lot of one on one opportunities in philly too.

11 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

This stat is based on all pass rush attempts, it’s not a skewed stat. Take it however you want to but it’s comparing all pass rush attempts between all those players.

Now, yes, I agree that the teammates he had at Georgia made it easier for him to get more one on one opportunities, but that’s exactly why I’ve been saying that I think Nolan smith was drafted into a very good situation. He’s gonna get a lot of one on one opportunities in philly too.

I agree he is in basically the perfect situation and can technically sit behind Reddick and learn from him and fill in if need be.  He will not be counted on greatly unless someone gets hurt.

Still those win rate stats, sometimes those lists have dudes that have no business being on the list and it clearly does not take into account how one is blocked on the play or who they are playing in general.  

Nolan Smith is the only one on that list that did not play the entire season, he and Wilson but Wilson missed less games, and again Van Ness was a backup mostly so that is skewed as well a bit and I think he only had 400-500 or so snaps where most have 600-700.  If one can be productive obviously in less snaps that rate goes up, it just means they are fresh or are not being played as often as others.

And I still say with that competition they played is pretty weak compared to other top teams.  So Georgia totally overmatches people.

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is clearly a skewed statistic because he was not asked to rush the passer that often or he was literally not playing because he got freaking hurt! 

Do you not find the irony here? 

You make several posts suggesting Smith is not really a good pass rusher, didn't produce in college, ect, ect yet acknowledge the bolded above to discredit a "skewed stat" in your opinion? 

The only singular knock you can possibly have with Nolan Smith I'd 100% agree with is "Health", that's it. There's nothing to suggest he will suck at the NFL level. 

Work ethic,  non stop motor, athletic freak? I'll take my chances especially with Reddick as a mentor/similar type player showing him what it takes to succeed in the NFL. 

It's why the core 4 are still here.

Cox-Davis-Carter

Kelce-Jurgens-Dickerson

Graham-Sweat-Barnett-Smith

Johnson-All OT on this roster

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Can we just love Nolan Smith and hope he pans out how we expect? Lol

Who cares if he's not like Parsons. I hope he makes his own name

Ozzie is not an Eagles fan, he doesn't have to love Nolan Smith nor hope he pans out as you expect. 

For my part, I'll love him when he is good, not because he's on my team. I sure hope I'll get to that, but won't go about defending him just yet.