The Week 1 Gameday Thread: 'Ders vs. Cards, 1 PM, FOX - GIF THEME SPONGEBOB

MikeT14

3 ups

#1: The fans
Incredible. They sounded LOUD yesterday. Ready to cheer. I heard @Thaiphoon personally a couple of times. 

#2: The D-Line, especially Sweat
They just dominated the Cardinals from start to finish. Everyone from Payne to Abdullah made plays in the backfield. Everyone's name was called for some play back there. It was great to see. 

#3: Special Teams and coverage
Slye was perfect on the day, Way did his thing, Reaves was the first guy down there. They gave the Cardinals no advantages Sunday. 

3 downs

#1: Sam Howell's pocket presence and hero ball
Overall, he had an okay game Sunday. Made some nice throws. Seemed to understand the offense. He took a lot of unnecessary hits, and that fumble was, in my opinion, on him as much as anyone else for trying to do too much. I am worried he is going to last the season at this rate. 

#2: The offensive line
Wylie was awful, Gates was below average, and it was just tough. They did not help Howell at times, and barely provided the run game anything. They need to figure this out quickly. I hope there are some hard questions for Rivera on the line this week.

#3: Bieniemy's playcalling
I vehemently disagree with those of you arguing "that's how Andy Reid did it." Not only was that not how it went under Alex Smith (go see my previous post on it), but Andy Reid is not here. An OC's best trait is his ability to adjust to what is happening. It was POURING rain, and we never ran the ball. He was forcing rhythm into Howell and it wasn't working at times. We had a handful of "2nd or 3rd and longs" that we had to overcome. I get it, you need to keep things from being vanilla, but at one point I think I looked and we had 29 out of 42 of our plays were passing? 70%. On a wet day with poor pass blocking.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

3 ups

Incredible. They sounded LOUD yesterday. Ready to cheer. I heard @Thaiphoon personally a couple of times. 

They just dominated the Cardinals from start to finish. Everyone from Payne to Abdullah made plays in the backfield. Everyone's name was called for some play back there. It was great to see. 

Slye was perfect on the day, Way did his thing, Reaves was the first guy down there. They gave the Cardinals no advantages Sunday. 

3 downs

Overall, he had an okay game Sunday. Made some nice throws. Seemed to understand the offense. He took a lot of unnecessary hits, and that fumble was, in my opinion, on him as much as anyone else for trying to do too much. I am worried he is going to last the season at this rate. 

Wylie was awful, Gates was below average, and it was just tough. They did not help Howell at times, and barely provided the run game anything. They need to figure this out quickly. I hope there are some hard questions for Rivera on the line this week.

I vehemently disagree with those of you arguing "that's how Andy Reid did it." Not only was that not how it went under Alex Smith (go see my previous post on it), but Andy Reid is not here. An OC's best trait is his ability to adjust to what is happening. It was POURING rain, and we never ran the ball. He was forcing rhythm into Howell and it wasn't working at times. We had a handful of "2nd or 3rd and longs" that we had to overcome. I get it, you need to keep things from being vanilla, but at one point I think I looked and we had 29 out of 42 of our plays were passing? 70%. On a wet day with poor pass blocking.

Really good breakdown here Mike. I agree with all of it. I wasn't impressed with EB. I think he had a suspect game along with the rest of the offense. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Also, wasn’t really sure where to put this, but what would it cost to liberate Kyle Pitts from the clutches of Arthur Smith and his archaic system (for TEs)? Good lord, that guy is so good, and it’s shameful to see him still only getting 3 targets.

Can't we just send them our second round pick? We're so bad with them anyway I don't think it would matter lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW- yes that was me on the Junkies this a.m. complaining about the porta johns. I figured the team might not have seen my Tweet (or 'X') and isn't watching these forums, so I'd get it out there on the radio.

But did give the team kudos for everything else (re: game day experience). 

What did they say back about it? 

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What did they say back about it? 

I was the last caller at the end of the segment and they said that it sounds like something the ownership would address now that they are hearing about it (hopefully I did good putting it on air). And Lurch was asking "yeah, where are people gonna pee?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

3 ups

3 downs

The first 3 under 3 downs. After watching our boys play the lowly Cards, opposing defenes will have field day sacking our QB. Six sacks, fumble and a INT which could have been 2. SH seems to be holding on the ball to long around 4sec's in the pocket on some throws.. That's to long. Putting this all together EB needs to help SH speed up his delivery. And yes you are right that fumble by SH was on him. Gibson fumble, poor OL and we can go on and on. The upcoming schedule is scary and it will be helpful that SH has some good escape ability. He will need it.

Every game is different. Just because we beat Arizona by 4, doesn't mean we're getting stomped by everybody else.

It was Howell's 2nd career start. They were playing in a monsoon.

I was actually impressed. Howell got his 1st comeback win. The Defense allowed no Offensive TD's & the team pulled it together to get a win.

This is the kind of game the Snyder owned teams would have lost.

We regroup & get ready for Denver. That's what we do.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 4209 said:

The first 3 under 3 downs. After watching our boys play the lowly Cards, opposing defenes will have field day sacking our QB. Six sacks, fumble and a INT which could have been 2. SH seems to be holding on the ball to long around 4sec's in the pocket on some throws.. That's to long. Putting this all together EB needs to help SH speed up his delivery. And yes you are right that fumble by SH was on him. Gibson fumble, poor OL and we can go on and on. The upcoming schedule is scary and it will be helpful that SH has some good escape ability. He will need it.

The idea that the fumble is solely on Sam bothers me. Wylie has a job to do too. It bothers me that we're now okaying the OL awful play and shifting the blame to Sam. Wylie got paid a lot of money to be the starting RT here and he was awful. You cannot develop a young QB with play like that. 

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The idea that the fumble is solely on Sam bothers me. Wylie has a job to do too. It bothers me that we're now okaying the OL awful play and shifting the blame to Sam. Wylie got paid a lot of money to be the starting RT here and he was awful. You cannot develop a young QB with play like that. 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-strip-six-gardeck-s-spin-move-sparks-fumble-takeaway-td-vs-howel 

Here's the play in question. Wylie gets beat like a drum but it looks to me like Gibson also could have chipped the guy on the way out on his route. Then Howell doesn't protect the ball, a lot of mistakes were made on the play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-strip-six-gardeck-s-spin-move-sparks-fumble-takeaway-td-vs-howel 

Here's the play in question. Wylie gets beat like a drum but it looks to me like Gibson also could have chipped the guy on the way out on his route. Then Howell doesn't protect the ball, a lot of mistakes were made on the play.

That I agree with. It was a combination of bad play but now the day after I'm starting to see people basically excuse the OL bad play. There's one guy on Youtube, show is Locked on Commanders I believe who claimed the OL had a good day and none of the sacks were on them. Its just absurd. 

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

100%. Wylie has to be better. It starts with him. Less than two seconds after the snap and he was beat like a drum. Howell should have just tucked it and took the sack. 

Few takeaways I got.

1. This Chase situation has me quite frustrated. It's clear him and Ron got something going on between each other. All I know is Chase better go absolutely crazy when he comes back or he might as well start house shopping elsewhere. I don't want to see him go anywhere but if he's going to continue with these injuries lasting way longer than expected you can't pay him.

2. EB needs to realize we don't have Patrick Mahomes. That first half just slinging it after slinging it with no run mix had me quite disappointed in the play calling. We kept getting behind the sticks from holds, sacks, other penalties, etc. If you keep getting behind the sticks it doesn't matter who you're playing, they can pin their ears back against our crappy oline and it's not a recipe for success. I know we weren't running the ball well but I know I like 2nd and 8 much better than 1st or 2nd and 20. Especially with a young QB in his 2nd start. 

3. Cole Turner needs more snaps. Maybe Logan was rusty but if he continues with the drops he's gotta go find a spot on the bench because I do like Cole Turner's upside and he makes big catches. 

4. Howell was what I expected. He did some nice things, he did some not nice things. I'd like to see EB do a little more play action and get him out of the pocket some so he can use his legs or let it rip without someone right in his face. Obviously you need to establish literally any little bit of a run game to do that first I get it, but it's going to have to happen. I did like his pocket presence, he didn't panic when there was multiple chances for him to panic. I get it was raining, but he really only took one shot and got a PI call out of it. I'd like to see a little more stretching of the field because our line isn't going to hold up long enough for long sustained drives without making mistakes. 

5. I thought the dline took over in the 2nd half and basically said we're winning this game by ourselves, and they did. They need to play the way they did in the 2nd half all the time and it's going to be real fun to watch. 

6. Kam is still a stud. DFoe still looks like a dog. Didn't like that we had 3 dropped int's, people wonder how we didn't blow them out, well if we pick off 2 of those, we do blow them out. Forbes wasn't on the field near as much as I thought he should've been. Gave up one catch that I can think of, did miss one tackle, but thought he played well when he was in. Probably would've gave up another catch on the sideline if dobbs threw a good ball. Didn't like that a guy with supposed tremendous ball skills let a pick go right off his chest, but hopefully that'll change as the year goes on. 

7. Cheeseman is going to lose us a game if he doesn't figure it out, I mean this is getting ridiculous. 

8. A win is a win. Do I feel great about it? No not really. I thought we looked not great but still found a way to win. We usually find a way to lose those games. Wins aren't easy to come by in the NFL, gotta celebrate them when you get them.