The Week 1 Gameday Thread: 'Ders vs. Cards, 1 PM, FOX - GIF THEME SPONGEBOB

MikeT14

Guys, it’s still frustrating but I get that it will be getting better.  Watching this whole off-season play out was difficult.  You’ve got a coach who knows he is going to be coaching for his job, so what does he do?  Grabs a new OC, who is installing a new offense, who is also installing a new blocking system.  These things take time.  

On top of that, you’ve got a fifth round QB who has one NFL start under his belt, who was anointed the starter without trying to really find anyone else.  But we continued to build the defense with our top draft picks. Again, the development of a QB takes time.  

We have new ownership who is going to make a lot of changes.  I guess one more season shouldn’t frustrate me…..but it does.  Because you have a defense that has a ton of talent, that is likely a top 5 defense provided the offense isn’t completely inept and leaves the defense hanging out to dry due to Time of Possession differential.  

If the Howell/Bienemy gamble doesn’t pay off…..it’s a wasted season.  ANd the gamble for this isn’t a quick solution.  It’s a long-term play that we’re shoehorning into a year.  It just does not make sense.  

Anyway……great to see the fans show up yesterday.  Saw a lot of dated jerseys, shirts, etc, which was good.  Bringing back Champ, RGIII, Riggins, all of the legends was great.  The crowd got real loud cheering for RGIII and a couple “F Dan Snyder” chants.  Multiple times my watch went off with 90 decibel warnings, and we went over 110 when the game was cemented.  

Some small new improvements were made.  Felt like the lines coming into the stadium and some of the food lines went quicker.  I liked the new PA system put up outside of the stadium for announcements.  Traffic flowed well, at least when I came in.  Looks like they had a good selection of beers, including tall boys.  Sodas were mixed well according to friends.

What I  didn’t like: the lack of porta-John’s, again.  No one was policing the lots telling people when it was time to condense their tailgating so the late arrivals had spots to park.  Some people went into game time taking up 2-3 spots in the purple/orange lots.  The lines for the escalators completely messed with the flow of people they had going into the stadium store.  The bathrooms at least had paper towels but it is clear there needs to be a deep investigation into the plumbing in the off-season.  

I do wonder if they will uncover some of the covered seats for next year.  It was a great crowd.  Not sure it will continue, especially if the team struggles and Rivera is a lame duck, but I think there is clearly excitement for next year.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

One other thing I'll say is I don't think Gates was very good. And if they have any inkling that Stromberg can be something then they need to make the move. 

There seemed to be a lot of communication issues between Gates and Charles about who was supposed to block who. I'm no expert on oline play but isn't in the Center's job to call out the blocking assignments at the line? Or is that on the QB? 

18 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Logan had two early drops and finished with 4 catches on 8 targets for 43 yards, also 2 very bad snaps blocking that ended with Howell getting hit/sacked.

Bolded: Cole Turner had one catch on two targets. I am pretty sure he got more than two snaps as well.

Our TEs are bad, but not as bad as our o-line was today. O-Line should be a FA or Trade target because man, that was tough to watch.

Understood, I think they'll be better than they were today moving forward. It was Logan’s first live game action in a month. He's also not used to Sam’s arm strength on some of those shorter passes as he spent most of his time the last 4 years catching balls from Alex & Heinickie.

I just think what we saw yesterday was the floor from the TE group and in coming weeks we’ll see more like 6-8 receptions for 60 plus yards and a TD every few games from them.

I mean we only threw the ball 7 times in the 2nd half bc of our bad OL pass protection, the bad weather etc & once we got in scoring distance/got the lead in the 2nd half we went very conservative on offense to limit the mistakes to help ensure we won.

Terry of all people only had 2 catches. I expect our passing game will look better as time goes on and more chemistry is built between Sam, the TES & WRs in live action.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

There seemed to be a lot of communication issues between Gates and Charles about who was supposed to block who. I'm no expert on oline play but isn't in the Center's job to call out the blocking assignments at the line? Or is that on the QB? 

Yes, and we have 4 new starters. I expect they'll get those issues cleaned up as the weeks go on, but I'm frightened of what Dallas’s front 4 is going to do to our OL. We're going to need a lot of quick stuff that game like we had in week 18 last year.

@naptownskinsfan I hear you but the retread QB approach Rivera went with in 2021 & 2022 wasn't working either & neither was Scott Turner.

It does suck for the defense bc I hear you on everything you said but they needed to make changes on offense and needed a new approach.

It just is what it is. I'd personally much rather watch Sam develop and be up & down while showing off his strong arm and athleticism some every game and continuing to improve every week than to watch a journeyman backup type again where there's truly no hope for the future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@naptownskinsfan I hear you but the retread QB approach Rivera went with in 2021 & 2022 wasn't working either & neither was Scott Turner.

It does suck for the defense bc I hear you on everything you said but they needed to make changes on offense and needed a new approach.

It just is what it is. I'd personally much rather watch Sam develop and be up & down while showing off his strong arm and athleticism some every game and continuing to improve every week than to watch a journeyman backup type again where there's truly no hope for the future.

It doesn’t make sense from a survivability perspective to do what they did.  Perhaps find someone else who meshes more with the former philosophy, so there isn’t wholesale change?  Then again, perhaps I’d be complaining about Mike Shula here instead.  Also, there may have been some communication from new ownership that, barring a collapse in the locker room, Rivera would get another season because he had to put up with Snyder all of this time. 

Honestly, I’d have rather seen him go for broke and put an experienced QB, even if that was an older guy like Rodgers.  It would make sense, given the hot seat.  But the transition we decided to do just doesn’t make sense.  

If the defense is what I think it is, and Howell is sputtering around Week 5-6, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brissett under center.