The Week 1 Gameday Thread: 'Ders vs. Cards, 1 PM, FOX - GIF THEME SPONGEBOB

MikeT14

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It doesn’t make sense from a survivability perspective to do what they did.  Perhaps find someone else who meshes more with the former philosophy, so there isn’t wholesale change?  Then again, perhaps I’d be complaining about Mike Shula here instead.  Also, there may have been some communication from new ownership that, barring a collapse in the locker room, Rivera would get another season because he had to put up with Snyder all of this time. 

Honestly, I’d have rather seen him go for broke and put an experienced QB, even if that was an older guy like Rodgers.  It would make sense, given the hot seat.  But the transition we decided to do just doesn’t make sense.  

If the defense is what I think it is, and Howell is sputtering around Week 5-6, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brissett under center.  

A quality starting QB on a rookie contract is the most valuable asset in the NFL. Howell is only 2 starts into his career but he's shown enough to at least be given the opportunity to prove he's the guy. I understand what you're saying about how it would have been understandable for this regime to cover their butts by spending future assets to save themselves this year but I think it has been commendable that they haven't taken that approach at all. They didn't trade any of our future draft picks, they didn't spend a ton of money in free agency tying up our future cap and now they are letting a rookie QB have necessary growing pains in a critical year for their careers. If this regime is fired at the end of the year you at least have to say they left the franchise in a good position for the next one. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It doesn’t make sense from a survivability perspective to do what they did.  Perhaps find someone else who meshes more with the former philosophy, so there isn’t wholesale change?  Then again, perhaps I’d be complaining about Mike Shula here instead.  Also, there may have been some communication from new ownership that, barring a collapse in the locker room, Rivera would get another season because he had to put up with Snyder all of this time. 

Honestly, I’d have rather seen him go for broke and put an experienced QB, even if that was an older guy like Rodgers.  It would make sense, given the hot seat.  But the transition we decided to do just doesn’t make sense.  

If the defense is what I think it is, and Howell is sputtering around Week 5-6, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brissett under center.  

Those better Qbs like Rodgers weren't coming here. I don't know man, it just is what it is. It was either go journeyman again or a young guy they liked. They went with the young guy they liked who has upside.

The timing sucks for Rivera but nothing else was working either. Bringing back a Heinicke type tops us out as well with no upside to a journeyman.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Those better Qbs like Rodgers weren't coming here. I don't know man, it just is what it is. It was either go journeyman again or a young guy they liked. They went with the young guy they liked who has upside.

The timing sucks for Rivera but nothing else was working either. Bringing back a Heinicke type tops us out as well with no upside to a journeyman.

What’s so weird is how things just fall into place. Had Fitzpatrick completed a pass on a two-point conversion Burrow would be the QB of this team lol. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What’s so weird is how things just fall into place. Had Fitzpatrick completed a pass on a two-point conversion Burrow would be the QB of this team lol. 

Or if we hadn't beaten Carolina. I just got done arguing with some Bengals fan on Twitter about that bc I even suggested it was possible, he used some weird argument of when the losses came or whatever. It really didn't add up to me just saying it could've happened.

So many times in the last 30 years similar things have happened.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Or if we hadn't beaten Carolina. I just got done arguing with some Bengals fan on Twitter about that bc I even suggested it was possible, he used some weird argument of when the losses came or whatever. It really didn't add up to me just saying it could've happened.

So many times in the last 30 years similar things have happened.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

As an Orioles fan, I understand all of this from my two favorite teams.  It is painful.  Watching the Redskins do just enough to be mediocre enough to not get elite talent in the draft.  Watching the Orioles spend money foolishly, mostly on relievers and vets past their prime, and never adding to the infrastructure.  Factor in the Wizards, and the Capitals doing that now in a sense too…….we’re struggling here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

A quality starting QB on a rookie contract is the most valuable asset in the NFL. 

Just look at the 49ers and how they are able to pay the salaries they are paying (some of them the top salaries at premium positions - like Bosa) because they have a QB on a cheap contract.

• Like 2

Had a chance to re-watch this one on the All-22. 

No shocker, the OL is not impressive. Yes, Howell probably could/should have avoided a couple of those sacks, but there were some big foul-ups. Wylie got beat bad a few times, Charles got beat bad a few times, there was one absolutely unacceptable situation where Charles/Gates just turned a DT totally loose. I actually think they looked worse in run blocking than pass protection, to be honest. Maybe that just requires more work to gel, but there was very little push happening.

The other big takeaway for me on offense is that it looked depressingly similar to years past. Defense pressing up against all the short stuff, tight coverage off the line, nothing to hurt them for being so aggressive. Not a lot of space for these perimeter guys to operate, just felt smothered. It was to the point that you *almost* wonder if they were staying preseason “vanilla” against ARI because they’re so bad. 

Defensively, we know what we’ve got. Allen and Payne are awesome, there was no effort level drop from Payne, which I’m thrilled about it. Sweat is just a notch below them, and you love seeing him make some plays. James Smith-Williams has to lead the league in *almost* plays. Thought Jamin played well, thought Barton was not good at all. Curl was excellent as always, Forrest is very solid as well.

Forbes had a couple plays where he dropped the ball, including a wheel route that looked like it was on Jamin but I think Forbes should have been there. Took the cheese on a seam route and was out of position. But I thought overall he looked really smooth and every bit as tough as he looked on film — he might get killed sticking his nose in there against these NFL guys, but he’s not afraid to do it. 

Special mention to Jeremy Reaves, who was absolutely awesome on punt coverage. Crazy stuff. 

• Like 6

NFC  East QB  wk 1 

Dak Prescott:
13/24
143 Yards
0 TDs

Jalen Hurts:
22/33
170 Yards
1 TD
1 Fumble

Daniel Jones:
15/28
104 Yards
0 TDs
2 INTs

Edited by 4209
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Had a chance to re-watch this one on the All-22. 

No shocker, the OL is not impressive. Yes, Howell probably could/should have avoided a couple of those sacks, but there were some big foul-ups. Wylie got beat bad a few times, Charles got beat bad a few times, there was one absolutely unacceptable situation where Charles/Gates just turned a DT totally loose. I actually think they looked worse in run blocking than pass protection, to be honest. Maybe that just requires more work to gel, but there was very little push happening.

The other big takeaway for me on offense is that it looked depressingly similar to years past. Defense pressing up against all the short stuff, tight coverage off the line, nothing to hurt them for being so aggressive. Not a lot of space for these perimeter guys to operate, just felt smothered. It was to the point that you *almost* wonder if they were staying preseason “vanilla” against ARI because they’re so bad. 

Defensively, we know what we’ve got. Allen and Payne are awesome, there was no effort level drop from Payne, which I’m thrilled about it. Sweat is just a notch below them, and you love seeing him make some plays. James Smith-Williams has to lead the league in *almost* plays. Thought Jamin played well, thought Barton was not good at all. Curl was excellent as always, Forrest is very solid as well.

Forbes had a couple plays where he dropped the ball, including a wheel route that looked like it was on Jamin but I think Forbes should have been there. Took the cheese on a seam route and was out of position. But I thought overall he looked really smooth and every bit as tough as he looked on film — he might get killed sticking his nose in there against these NFL guys, but he’s not afraid to do it. 

Special mention to Jeremy Reaves, who was absolutely awesome on punt coverage. Crazy stuff. 

Yeah, the Wylie stuff is getting to me now. I feel like it’s some concerted effort to make people believe he played better than he did. Even John Keim tried to tell me he watched the all-22 and Wylie had some bad plays but ultimately wasn’t that bad at all and I’m like bro, come on lol. 

The one play that is killing me is the Dyami Brown play. He’s just streaming down the field by himself. Howell clearly sees him and then just goes away for Dotson underneath for 12 yards. I’m not sure why he did that? I’m sure he’ll be asked about it tomorrow so I’m waiting to hear his answer. 

• Like 1