The Week 1 Gameday Thread: 'Ders vs. Cards, 1 PM, FOX - GIF THEME SPONGEBOB

MikeT14

My takeaways

-The offense will take time to gel. 

- I’m happy with Howell. He made some mistakes but ultimately made plays to help win the game. He’s young and growing. 

-TE should’ve been addressed and Logan Thomas should’ve been cut. We have absolutely nothing beyond what might be something in Turner.

-Andrew Wylie and Nick Gates are not starters. And with that said, I don’t know how they could possibly review the tape and put Wylie back out there? Something has to be done before he gets Howell hurt. 

- This team needs a lead back. I love BRob and I think he could be that guy but we won’t know with how bad the run blocking is. Gibson is a receiver. For the love of god stop playing him at RB. 

-it’s hard to judge EB. The weather was bad. It’s hard to ramp up your offense in a downpour. 

- The DL is as advertised. They’re elite without Young and I’m hoping we get to see them with him. 

- Cody Barton is bad. He can’t cover at all. He’s a more athletic Mayo. Jamin Davis is what he is. He never should’ve been a a first round pick. There’s a chance Hudson is our best LB which is sad. 

-The DB started slow. I hate how far off our DBs play. Forbes and Butler both should’ve had picks. 

Overall I’m happy. I expected them to win but figured it would be close when I saw the weather report. Robinson should’ve had more carries but these are the games we usually lose. Defense is stout and the offense is going to take time with a new QB and OC. I’m excited. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

My takeaways

- I’m happy with Howell. He made some mistakes but ultimately made plays to help win the game. He’s young and growing. 

-TE should’ve been addressed and Logan Thomas should’ve been cut. We have absolutely nothing beyond what might be something in Turner.

-Andrew Wylie and Nick Gates are not starters. And with that said, I don’t know how they could possibly review the tape and put Wylie back out there? Something has to be done before he gets Howell hurt. 

- This team needs a lead back. I love BRob and I think he could be that guy but we won’t know with how bad the run blocking is. Gibson is a receiver. For the love of god stop playing him at RB. 

-it’s hard to judge EB. The weather was bad. It’s hard to ramp up your offense in a downpour. 

- The DL is as advertised. They’re elite without Young and I’m hoping we get to see them with him. 

- Cody Barton is bad. He can’t cover at all. He’s a more athletic Mayo. Jamin Davis is what he is. He never should’ve been a a first round pick. There’s a chance Hudson is our best LB which is sad. 

-The DB started slow. I hate how far off our DBs play. Forbes and Butler both should’ve had picks. 

Overall I’m happy. I expected them to win but figured it would be close when I saw the weather report. Robinson should’ve had more carries but these are the games we usually lose. Defense is stout and the offense is going to take time with a new QB and OC. I’m excited. 

So the weather was bad for EB, the coach but not for the actual players on the field?

If we’re using that excuse for a coach, we could use if Howell’s few inaccurate passes, some dropped passes and the 2 fumbles.🤷🏼‍♂️

It was the first game for everyone. I think they can execute better and I expect them to, same with some of our new players on D like Barton.

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So the weather was bad for EB, the coach but not for the actual players on the field?

If we’re using that excuse for a coach, we could use if Howell’s few inaccurate passes, some dropped passes and the 2 fumbles.🤷🏼‍♂️

It was the first game for everyone. I think they can execute better and I expect them to, same with some of our new players on D like Barton.

Dude I said I expected it to be a low scoring game because of the weather at the very end of my post. I don’t blame anyone on the offense for that. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I'm not really concerned about the INT or fumble but his inaccuracy on some throws was somewhat alarming. He missed two easy throws on screens in back to back plays and threw way behind McLaurin on that other play. It is a little unusual to see a professional QB be that inaccurate. However with that being said he did some good things out there, certainly enough to continue being the starter. 

Thomas had some drops but historically that hasn't been a problem for him. I actually thought it was promising that he was getting open on a lot of plays. I think he bounces back. Turner looks to be a good pass catcher as well, and Bates is a solid blocker (those two holding calls were horrible by the refs). Two solid pass catching TEs and a blocker, that is not a bad TE room. 

It is way too soon to make any sort of judgement call like that on the Oline. They have to learn to gel as a unit and how to communicate with each other. Generally our offensive line play has improved as the season progresses during the Rivera era. 

Ya I kind of agree with you here. I'm not sure why Robinson has been hyped up, he's about as mediocre of a lead back that you can get. He had 16 carries today for 59 yards, or a pitiful 3.1 ypc. Rodriguez was even worse at 3 carries for 7 yards. There were a lot of veteran RBs available this past offseason and I think they could have significantly improved the position had they signed one. And the whole Gibson thing has just gotten ridiculous. He has no idea how to play RB just bench the guy already. 

Its probably way too early to make any sort of judgement on him. 

I don't think the Dline needs Young.  I would shop him for someone who could help us at another position. 

Jamin Davis had a pretty good game. He was our second leading tackler (behind Curl) and had a nice TFL. He seemed to be all over the field and getting involved, not sure why you dislike him so much but he played well today. Cody Barton was pretty invisible other than the one where he got push blocked by Paris Johnson. But he didn't stand out in a negative way either. 

Hey, if they could catch they'd be WRs. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

Dude I said I expected it to be a low scoring game because of the weather at the very end of my post. I don’t blame anyone on the offense for that. 

That doesn't take away all the other points especially when you give Biebiemy pass for having to coach w/ bad weather. That was just a weird comment I guess is my main point.

Logan Thomas was an early drop on a rainy day & a phantom offensive PI call from being our leading receiver with 6 catches for 65 or 70 yards. I think him missing so much of the preseason & practice affected him early. 

Every time Cole Turner is in he makes a catch.

People need to quit acting like we have absolutely nothing at TE.

Could it be better?  Yeah, short of Kansas City, every team could be better at TE but we’re pretty solid at TE. I only expect Logan to play better as the season goes on.