Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Steelers vs. 49'ers

• Steelers
    • 49'ers
    • Tie, Oh heck no!

497c04dd98b25a4902f18c2197f646a5.jpg

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Game Day Threads baby!!!!

Pauly-Shore---His-First-Big-Break.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Who: Pittsburgh Steelers host the San Francisco 49'ers to kick off the 2023 Season

When: Sunday, September 10, 2023

Where: Heinz, I mean Acrisure Stadium

Series History: San Francisco leads the series 12-10

The last Meeting was in September 2019 in Santa Clara where the Steelers forced five turnovers, but could not capitalize in turning them into TDs.  The Steelers went up 6-0 and then kept it close before taking an early 20-17 lead on a Mason Rudolph to Dionte Johnson TD pass.  Jimmy G threw a late TD pass and the Steelers offense could do nothing consistently all day and lost 24-20.

The last game in Pittsburgh was won by the Steelers 43-18.  Ben threw three TDs, AB hooked up for 195 yards, and DeAngelo Williams added 3 rushing TDs. 

20130824_mjm_al8_168.0.jpg

A New Era has begun in Pittsburgh!  It's back to the future of smashmouth football and toughness! 

steelers-kenny-pickett-preseason-td.jpg

Don't sleep on Kenny Pickett and the 2023 Steelers.  They will fight, compete, and win more than they lose. There are weapons on both sides of the ball. 

Matt-Canada-2048x1361.jpg

Matt "Jet Sweep" Canada should have a lot to be happy about on offense. 

1200x0.jpg

This opening game in Pittsburgh will feature two of the NFL's all-time best franchises. Both teams will torch you and hit you in the mouth. Tighten your chin strap and be prepared for the hot tub after the game and on Monday. 

th?id=OIP.CU7zbMGxJ_9IN4qCaqND1gHaEk&pid

Predictions????

Prediction.jpg

The game means a lot to both teams to start fast. A win bodes equally well for both teams. It answers QB questions on both sides. Is Brock the real deal and is he truly recovered? Were Kenny and the Steeler's preseason exploits for real? The series has gone back and forth over the last six meetings 3-3. 

The Steelers haven't had a home opening game in like forever......😀 I think that they use the fans and game day home flavor to earn a tough win. 

gettyimages-1638673645-612x612-1.jpg

No Nick Bosa is like no TJ Watt and that plays heavy if he is out. The 49'ers are far more beatable without him.

gettyimages-1200606890-e1579881072124.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

I bleed Steelers Black N Gold, but I absolutely love and respect George Kittle

1200x0.jpg

My head and heart are saying Steelers over 49'ers 27-23 on a late Pickett to Pickens pass. The team that protects the ball the best will win. Turnovers will be key!

6262fb0dd61ba0fa2f5215737c71e37e

It's time this man gets some respect. I am hoping he has an Andy Reid type of comeback soon. He will go from Mediocre Mike to Magnificent Mike and truthfully, more often than not he has been. He would be the first to admit that the only way to shut up critics is to win. In Pittsburgh, the standard is "The Trophy & Ring." Anything less is not acceptable.  Bring in the ring routinely Marvelous, Magnificent, Motivational Mike.  May 2023 be your best season in Pittsburgh.  It's your team and you are doing it your way!

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 2

Its gonna be a tougher game than i was originally thinking. McCaffrey is defintely the reason for my concern to go along with all the other viable options. They will definitely test our newest unit in the inside linebackers. Their O line doesnt seem as impressive as you would be lead to believe and our outside pressure has to test their 6 game in the NFL rookie QB that apparently is already Tom Brady. Im happy that we have options to keep those big guys fresh. I saw things saying Benton wont play much early  in the season but Im not sure how he cant see playing time in a game like this. This battle will be in the front 7 on both sides. How do you bottle up/ eliminate McCaffrey and their backs out of the backfield? We can deal with the rest if they can solve that puzzle. 

I do worry bout our running game being bottled up, well Najee in particular. Show us something we werent expecting Naj.  Pickett out competing Purdy will probably actually be the difference along with the D's help. Also the nod given to our special teams experience over their inexperience.

I have Pittsburgh scoring anywhere from 24 to 21 points and San Fran 19 to 16 points, without Bosa. I could see Bosa accounting for 3-6 point difference in this game, that might sound like a lot for a DE, but not really for DPOY type pass rushers. If he plays I still like Pittsburgh eeking this out at home 24-23.  It definitely has to be a clean game for this outcome in this early season close matchup. Home field and cross country travel is an added bonus calculated in for sure.  

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 5:18 AM, warfelg said:

Brock Purdy bout to be exposed this season. 

will his RT be able to block TJ?

On 9/2/2023 at 6:41 AM, bigben07MVP said:

There are rumors Nick Bosa will hold out of this game. If that’s the case, I think it’s an easy W. 

I don't know about easy because the shanny offence is still a challenge.    We should have more time to pass if Bosa is not playing but then consider Hargrave and the problems he will cause. It should be a close game IMO but will take the W B|

Too bad if Bosa doesn't play, as it would challenge Moore and Chuks. 

On 9/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, JustPlainNasty said:

Its gonna be a tougher game than i was originally thinking.

Most Steelers games are close.  We rarely put an absolute beatdown on anyone. However, I did start to see some signs of game domination at various points late last season.  Turnovers, penalties, and mental mistakes are typically the difference in games like this. 

McCaffrey is defintely the reason for my concern to go along with all the other viable options.They will definitely test our newest unit in the inside linebackers. Their O line doesnt seem as impressive as you would be lead to believe and our outside pressure has to test their 6 game in the NFL rookie QB that apparently is already Tom Brady.

CMC is a serious threat. The 49'ers have some elite offensive talent with CMC, Deebo, Ayuk, Kittle, and Kyle Juscyczk.  While the OL may not be quite as elite as before, they can puch you up and down the field at three, four, five, and then 50 yards.  These guys were in the NFC CG despite losing their top two QB's fo a reason.  The Brock to Brady comparisons are obvious.  I also think this is a bad match-up for him to start with. The Steelers strengths play to some of his weaknesses.  No QB likes pressure and being hit. Stop the run, bring the pressure, and make a lot of thump hits on defense. 

I'm happy that we have options to keep those big guys fresh. I saw things saying Benton wont play much early in the season but Im not sure how he can't see playing time in a game like this. This battle will be in the front 7 on both sides. How do you bottle up/eliminate McCaffrey and their backs out of the backfield? We can deal with the rest if they can solve that puzzle. 

A big key here.  Stopping the run and making San Francisco have to pass and protect in unfavorable conditions plays to the Steelers' strength. The concern is that the Steelers haven't been the best at stopping the run consistently. Instead of keeping offenses off balance with second and  8 or third and 8. It has been second and three and third and one in the past. The 4'ers offense put Brock in some favorable positions.  Disrupt that and start teeing off on him passing, would help the Steelers. This will be his first real test since the injury.  An errant pass or two or an INT or two bodes well for the Steelers.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, JustPlainNasty said:

I do worry bout our running game being bottled up, well Najee in particular. Show us something we werent expecting Naj.  Pickett out competing Purdy will probably actually be the difference along with the D's help. Also the nod given to our special teams experience over their inexperience.

I don't know why everyone's hard on Najee. He's a lot better than he is given credit for.  He softems defenses and now the Steelers have a different style change of pace back in Warren.  Hopefully, MccFarland can finally contribute some game breaking plays with his speed.  The Steelers actually ran some successful screen passes in pre saon. I haven't seen one of those run successfully with any consistency in a few years. 

I have Pittsburgh scoring anywhere from 24 to 21 points and San Fran 19 to 16 points, without Bosa. I could see Bosa accounting for 3-6 point difference in this game, that might sound like a lot for a DE, but not really for DPOY type pass rushers. If he plays I still like Pittsburgh eeking this out at home 24-23.  It definitely has to be a clean game for this outcome in this early season close matchup. Home field and cross country travel is an added bonus calculated in for sure.  

DMx2LyAU8AAS5dy.jpg-large-2.jpg

Watt about TJ?  He has to account for keeping the score down as well

1609171858_Steelers-LB-Alex-Highsmith-ha

Alex is not a bad Robin to Batman. Although I have always been partial to Kato who was the real star of the Green Hornet. 

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1037/4725106310_127a1f8236_z.jpg

My entirely too late 2024 mock draft:

Round 1: Barrett Carter ILB Clemson

Round 2: Kamren Kinchens S Miami (FL)

Round 3: Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma

Round 4: Keon Coleman WR Florida State

Round 5: Zach Frazier Center West Virginia

Round 6: M.J. Devonshire CB Pittsburgh

Round 7: Zakhari Franklin WR Ole Miss

26 minutes ago, DR43 said:

My entirely too late 2024 mock draft:

Round 1: Barrett Carter ILB Clemson

Round 2: Kamren Kinchens S Miami (FL)

Round 3: Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma

Round 4: Keon Coleman WR Florida State

Round 5: Zach Frazier Center West Virginia

Round 6: M.J. Devonshire CB Pittsburgh

Round 7: Zakhari Franklin WR Ole Miss

I can't get interested in the draft because I like this roster as it is. Too bad we can't keep this roster or most of it.  Great offseason by the FO