2023 College Football Thread

Norm

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm happy that the larger playoff format is on the way, but it sure is going to suck a lot of drama out of conference championship weekend.

Don't care about the drama tbh. I'd rather have them settle it on the field. No more squabbling about who deserves the bids. Just get in the dance and we'll finally be able to see who the best teams are rather than teams getting in based on perception. Plus, no more month to prepare for your opponent.

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Best 4 teams at the moment are probably 

Washington, Michigan,  Texas,  Alabama 

Michigan is not really one of the best four teams in the country. Whoever plays them is going to curb stomp them in the semi-finals. 

Also, Florida State should get in if they win. It's doubtful they will with this freshman quarterback. Texas beat Alabama by 10 in Tuscaloosa. SEC or not, that should disqualify Alabama over an unbeaten (maybe) Florida State. 

There's really no reason not to put a team that is worthy based on their résumé even though they stand no chance of winning, since they've done it a lot in the past 

2014-15 Oregon beats the Noles 59-20 in the semis, 2015-16 Bama beats Sparty 38-0, 2016-17 Ohio State beats Clemson 31-0, 2018-19 Clemson beats Notre Dame 30-3, 2019-20 LSU beats Oklahoma 63-28, etc.  Blowouts are common in this sort of thing.

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

There's really no reason not to put a team that is worthy based on their résumé even though they stand no chance of winning, since they've done it a lot in the past 

2014-15 Oregon beats the Noles 59-20 in the semis, 2015-16 Bama beats Sparty 38-0, 2016-17 Ohio State beats Clemson 31-0, 2018-19 Clemson beats Notre Dame 30-3, 2019-20 LSU beats Oklahoma 63-28, etc.  Blowouts are common in this sort of thing.

They happen in NFL playoffs too, but at least they let the play on the field decide who gets in and let the play dictate from there. 

Alabama lost to Texas by 10 in Tuscaloosa. Alabama should have lost to Auburn a week ago. I don't want to hear about it was a rivalry game. Auburn gave that game away. 

If Florida State holds on and wins, it's a no brainer what four teams deserve it: Michigan, Washington, Florida State and Texas in that order. Texas will smoke Michigan by 20 or more. 

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

TBH, I don't want to see this version of Florida State in the CFP.  I'd much rather see Alabama or Texas.

If Florida State wins they deserve to go. The NFL doesn't tell a team in the playoffs they are being replaced because they lost their quarterback. Florida State did it on the field. Alabama should have lost to Auburn last week. Texas beat them in Tuscaloosa by 10 points. 

Case closed! Will it happen that way, doubtful! There is no chance they won't have an SEC team in the playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, if Florida State beats Clemson, Miami, a pretty spirited Duke squad, LSU, and Louisville I don't think their schedule is actually less impressive than that of Alabama or Texas.  You're downgrading them solely because their QB broke his ankle and their backup QB missed the ACCCG with a concussion.

Correct! Schedules are comparable but FSU has no loss on their record. If they win there really is no metric the committee could point to for keeping them out. 

I will stand by my statement that if MIchigan plays anybody but FSU in the semis, they will get stomped. 

The Florida State quarterback is trying to end the debate. Louisville's defense refuses to let him.