2023 College Football Thread

Norm

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think it matters unless he would go on some kind of tirade and basically quit the team, or have a major injury.  He is big and looks fast.  He also seems to have learned some of that savvy from his dad.  And he has the HOF pedigree?  The kid is going early.  And I would guess if we were picking in the range to land him, we would probably be looking at QBs.

with the Jets pick you mean. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not sold on the OSU quarterbacking situation. How far could he slide with a down year because of QB? Would it matter? 

I don't see him getting out of top 5 overall picks if his quarterback is decent. 

I have an aversion to 1st round WRs, but I'd make an exception for him. 

I think the only way he isn't a top 5 pick is if he has an injury-plagued year.

• Like 1

I just looked at the scores.  I am happy that James Madison beat Virginia.  It was on at the bar when I was eating lunch, and I felt that the refs gave UVA a few gifts  while I was watching.  

Now I have a choice between Oregon and Texas Tech, Maryland and Charlotte, and I think I saw Wisconsin on the guide earlier.  Oregon TTech is almost over so that is up first.  Anyone else have a hatred of Oregon for no real reason? Or is it just me?

Just now, LLcheesehead12 said:

I wasn't aware Gambling State was located in Athens, GA.  Plus I'm betting UGA tried to copy our G logo first and then Grambling St copied them lol

We had the G first, it was more of a football shape.  Georgia (and I assume Grambling) asked to use it.  Georgia later changed it to the more oval shape that it is now, we took that design from them.  At least that is how I recall the story going.  There was an article the Packers put out a few years ago (may be 10, I am really old and don't have much of a sense of time) about the logo and which was the original adopter.  

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We had the G first, it was more of a football shape.  Georgia (and I assume Grambling) asked to use it.  Georgia later changed it to the more oval shape that it is now, we took that design from them.  At least that is how I recall the story going.  There was an article the Packers put out a few years ago (may be 10, I am really old and don't have much of a sense of time) about the logo and which was the original adopter.  

Ahh, yeah makes sense, but hey either way we had it first then lol

2 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Ahh, yeah makes sense, but hey either way we had it first then lol

I was looking for it while you replied, 😁

https://www.packers.com/news/the-g-stands-for-green-bay-15940711

Georgia wore it for the first time in 1964. Here's more from the Georgia media guide: "Since the Georgia G – though different in design and color – was similar to Green Bay's G, Coach Dooley thought it best to clear the use of Georgia's new emblem with the NFL team. Athletic Director Joel Eaves called for permission which was granted. However, since its inception in 1961, the Green Bay G has been redesigned several times and now looks like Georgia's original 1964 G. Georgia is proud the Packers apparently liked the special nuances of the Bulldog's forward-looking G."

Supposedly, the Georgia G was a completely unique design, but their coach still asked permission because it was so similar.  I don't want to accuse the lady that designed it of stealing, but it looks VERY similar.  It is possible that she didn't copy it, it is just a letter, and there are only so many things that can be done to differentiate a letter and still remain said letter.  But permission was granted, and the Packers have since gotten closer to the Georgia G than what was originally the Packers G.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Was a big G on the espn scoreboard thing.  At least that is what I saw.  

They used to use the same G as GB and UGA but changed it in 05, something about not being able to copyright it.

Cool sorry about GB and UGA though - I like how they cooperated and cross-pollinated vs being all sue-happy about it