2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

27 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

I gotta say, the more I see of Penix Jr, the more ok I am with sticking to Levis. lol

this game is literally penix checking all the 'weakness' boxes on his scouting report. poor footwork, bad under pressure, struggles to read out concepts when his first option is taken away. brutal night.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

I gotta say, the more I see of Penix Jr, the more ok I am with sticking to Levis. lol

Grass isn't always greener. Lol 

Lot of QBs can look great with no pressure and 3 NFL WRs. *cough* Tua *cough. 

39 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Grass isn't always greener. Lol 

Lot of QBs can look great with no pressure and 3 NFL WRs. *cough* Tua *cough. 

Lord, watching him sail all those passes tonight just hurt to watch. I can't imagine what he's gonna do if he gets drafted by anyone in the top 6. I think it'll be even worse than Bryce Young.

As great as Penix was against Texas, he was equally as concerning tonight. It almost would’ve been better for his draft status if he had lost that game to Texas than to have the performance he had tonight. Like CJ Stroud last year.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

Weird as it might sound, I want us to figure out a way of getting JJ McCarthy on roster. 

That is weird, considering he's awful, and we have actual needs to spend resources on.

I had liked Rosengarten before this, but man, he was absolutely awful last night.  Fautanu though could be a good guard.  I feel like he made most of his mistakes trying to block in space, and those weaknesses won't translate to playing guard.  But he's probably gonna be drafted too high for us to spend the resources, assuming we can land a tackle with the first pick.

But if we can't, and go WR, then he's someone worth looking at.  I'd rather spend our picks shoring up the other spots on the OL than reaching for a tackle and fixing nothing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That is weird, considering he's awful, and we have actual needs to spend resources on.

I had liked Rosengarten before this, but man, he was absolutely awful last night.  Fautanu though could be a good guard.  I feel like he made most of his mistakes trying to block in space, and those weaknesses won't translate to playing guard.  But he's probably gonna be drafted too high for us to spend the resources, assuming we can land a tackle with the first pick.

But if we can't, and go WR, then he's someone worth looking at.  I'd rather spend our picks shoring up the other spots on the OL than reaching for a tackle and fixing nothing.

Not sure why myself, because I didn't like him that much at first, but he really grew on me. His athleticism is underrated, he is a pretty good rhythm passer, great velocity on the ball, can fit it into tight windows. Pretty good improviser and throwing on the run as well. And he might be undersized, but he's definitely scrappy. I don't think his ceiling is that high, but at worst he could be a very decent/solid game manager.

Know that we have bigger needs and I'm not saying invest crazy into him, but would be a huge mistake neglecting that backup QB spot, IMO. I definitely don't want Willis to be the second guy on call. I doubt he'll make it to our 4th round pick, but if he does, would be a big mistake to pass on him.

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Weird as it might sound, I want us to figure out a way of getting JJ McCarthy on roster. 

Does sound weird. lol 
But you like who you like. :)

I'd equate it to having Taylor Heinicke or Aidan O'Connell at their best.

32 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Not sure why myself, because I didn't like him that much at first, but he really grew on me. His athleticism is underrated, he is a pretty good rhythm passer, great velocity on the ball, can fit it into tight windows. Pretty good improviser and throwing on the run as well. And he might be undersized, but he's definitely scrappy. I don't think his ceiling is that high, but at worst he could be a very decent/solid game manager.

Know that we have bigger needs and I'm not saying invest crazy into him, but would be a huge mistake neglecting that backup QB spot, IMO. I definitely don't want Willis to be the second guy on call. I doubt he'll make it to our 4th round pick, but if he does, would be a big mistake to pass on him.

See, I'm of the opinion that we should spend zero resources, of any kind, on a backup QB.  We aren't gonna go from roster in shambles to deep playoff run next year.  So if Levis is out, then does it really matter if our backup is bad?  It's a backup QB.  The whole idea is that they don't see the field.  And Willis is cheap.  Keep him, hope you don't need him, and if you do, you're probably losing anyway.  So what does a better backup actually do to help this team?

I think spending a fourth rounder, where you can still get guys that will play, in a rotational role at least, on a backup QB would be a huge waste of resources.  That's the third pick we have in the draft.  At that point, if everything breaks our way, we've got a left tackle, and a No. 2 receiver, and nothing else.

We could spend that pick on any number of immediate needs.  A second running back to spell/complement Spears.  A middle linebacker or interior OL that could realistically be a starter before the end of the season.  A DL that would rotate in.  Another WR for our awful depth.

All of those are way, way bigger needs than a player we literally do not want to be playing in both the short and long term.  And that's not getting into the bigger needs that we will have to address in free agency if we want them fixed (starters at DL, LB, CB, WR, and at least one OL).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

See, I'm of the opinion that we should spend zero resources, of any kind, on a backup QB.  We aren't gonna go from roster in shambles to deep playoff run next year.  So if Levis is out, then does it really matter if our backup is bad?  It's a backup QB.  The whole idea is that they don't see the field.  And Willis is cheap.  Keep him, hope you don't need him, and if you do, you're probably losing anyway.  So what does a better backup actually do to help this team?

I think spending a fourth rounder, where you can still get guys that will play, in a rotational role at least, on a backup QB would be a huge waste of resources.  That's the third pick we have in the draft.  At that point, if everything breaks our way, we've got a left tackle, and a No. 2 receiver, and nothing else.

We could spend that pick on any number of immediate needs.  A second running back to spell/complement Spears.  A middle linebacker or interior OL that could realistically be a starter before the end of the season.  A DL that would rotate in.  Another WR for our awful depth.

All of those are way, way bigger needs than a player we literally do not want to be playing in both the short and long term.  And that's not getting into the bigger needs that we will have to address in free agency if we want them fixed (starters at DL, LB, CB, WR, and at least one OL).

That's reasonable, but realistically, you'd be getting four years of really cheap QB backup. And a good one at that if you were to see it from my POV. Granted, that's neither our biggest need nor the best thing in the world to wish for, but I wouldn't totally neglect it either.

We have money to spend on depth/rotational guys in FA and likely add at least one or two big-money players at positions of need, if we want to. We have a shot at a top talent at either T or WR. If we manage it right, we could put some nice pieces together and fill several areas of need by the time we get to make that 4th round pick.

Anyway, guess was mostly trying to say that I like him, would like him on our roster, and that backup QB is something I'd want upgraded before next season begins. I don't even think he will be there when we pick, so perhaps not even worth getting into it that deep.

I am a Michigan fan and have literally watched every snap of JJ's and he is not a backup in the league, he is a starter and with the right coach a high end starter. When the draft process starts he will climb like crazy. He was a 5 star QB who chose a school that was not going to make him the focus. If he went to almost any other school he would be a sure fire top 5 pick this year. Reminds me of Burrow, when they let him go a bit. Add that to the fact he is 20years old!!! In 3-4 years he will be a star if he goes to the right team, which he probably will...like Vegas, MIN, ATL. 

Having said all of that, I admit I have a strong bias because he play at UM. I can usually tell if they are for sure going to be a bust but can be fooled the other way.