2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

Man, I am just terrified to miss a chance on a tackle.

Maybe one of these guys I haven't watched yet is good (Paul, Barton, Guyton) and there will be someone available in the second to play left tackle.  But boy, I don't like waiting there.

I went back in the last three drafts, our second rounder has the sixth tackle on the board available for whatever that's worth.  For CBS, that's Mims; for NFLDraftbuzz, Walterfootball, and PFN, it's Morgan; for SI it's Suimataia.

Multiple WRs play, so a guy who is a contributor is valuable, but only one left tackle plays, and they play all snaps.  A stud WR and a just OK left tackle is a very different return from an OK receiver and a stud left tackle.

We spend our first on a receiver, then unless we sign a really good OL in free agency, I feel like we will need to also spend our fourth on another OL.  Maybe like Blake Fisher or Javon Foster who look like solid RTs but could also play guard.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Maybe one of these guys I haven't watched yet is good (Paul, Barton, Guyton) and there will be someone available in the second to play left tackle.  But boy, I don't like waiting there.

I went back in the last three drafts, our second rounder has the sixth tackle on the board available for whatever that's worth.  For CBS, that's Mims; for NFLDraftbuzz, Walterfootball, and PFN, it's Morgan; for SI it's Suimataia.

Multiple WRs play, so a guy who is a contributor is valuable, but only one left tackle plays, and they play all snaps.  A stud WR and a just OK left tackle is a very different return from an OK receiver and a stud left tackle.

We spend our first on a receiver, then unless we sign a really good OL in free agency, I feel like we will need to also spend our fourth on another OL.  Maybe like Blake Fisher or Javon Foster who look like solid RTs but could also play guard.

not gonna lie, if we somehow come out of the draft with nabers r1 and mims r2 i'd run victory laps around my apartment. but that's a wild mock, i'd say mims is more likely to go top 15 than he is to last to 38. 

the reality is the WR and OT class both have a couple of blue-chips at the top and then a big logjam of guys who could go anywhere from the mid 1st to the early 2nd. so it's a little bit of a toss-up either way. i'll feel slightly more confident about waiting on OL if we reel in a papa cally or munchak, but it's all just kind of a crapshoot.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I've come to grips with getting an OT in the first. I'm just wondering does it have to be one of the 2.

I'd love to be able to drop a few and get an 3rd rounder. I think it would be so great to have that 3rd in this draft. Be able to maybe double dip in the 2nd and 3rd with playmakers. Like you said, the WR class is pretty good and you can get some difference makers in that range.  Doesn't have to be Nabers or Odunze. 

I'm really in love with AD Mitchell, but I may be bias. If we somehow got Mitchell and Brian Thomas/Walker from UNC, I think we change our room overnight. 

I also really love Taliese Fuaga. The way he moves reminds me so much of Sewell. I think he will maybe be the 3rd OT taken. Maybe 2nd if some rumors of people not being high on the Penn State OT are true. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

not gonna lie, if we somehow come out of the draft with nabers r1 and mims r2 i'd run victory laps around my apartment. but that's a wild mock, i'd say mims is more likely to go top 15 than he is to last to 38. 

the reality is the WR and OT class both have a couple of blue-chips at the top and then a big logjam of guys who could go anywhere from the mid 1st to the early 2nd. so it's a little bit of a toss-up either way. i'll feel slightly more confident about waiting on OL if we reel in a papa cally or munchak, but it's all just kind of a crapshoot.

Yeah. If Mims is there, then taking Nabers at 7 is no doubt the right move IMO.  I think Mims can be a legit left tackle, and Mims/Nabers is a better return than even Alt/Mitchell.

Like, I would be really excited to land Nabers.  He's amazing.  He will pretty immediately be the best WR prospect we've ever drafted.  But we gotta have Levis able to last a season.

Maybe we'll sign Connor Williams or Andrus Peat, or someone like that who's a pretty guaranteed hit.  Brunskill can move to C if need be, and then if we have to settle for a RT in the second, that's fine because we have four of five positions filled by guys who should be average or better.  I want no part of Jonah Williams; we have enough bad to mediocre tackles on this roster already.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah. If Mims is there, then taking Nabers at 7 is no doubt the right move IMO.  I think Mims can be a legit left tackle, and Mims/Nabers is a better return than even Alt/Mitchell.

Like, I would be really excited to land Nabers.  He's amazing.  He will pretty immediately be the best WR prospect we've ever drafted.  But we gotta have Levis able to last a season.

Maybe we'll sign Connor Williams or Andrus Peat, or someone like that who's a pretty guaranteed hit.  Brunskill can move to C if need be, and then if we have to settle for a RT in the second, that's fine because we have four of five positions filled by guys who should be average or better.  I want no part of Jonah Williams; we have enough bad to mediocre tackles on this roster already.

i'm curious about whether the conversations around fashanu sliding are anything more than smoke. i feel like there were similar vibes around paris johnson last year and then he went 6 overall- ultimately it's just hard for teams to pass on an OT prospect that has displayed all the tools to get it done at that level. i will say i think the old regime might have passed on him because his strengths are much more as a pass blocker than a run blocker, but that probably no longer holds under callahan. 

really though, i think we're in a good spot to land *someone* who can make a difference. even the nightmare situation- alt, fashanu, nabers all gone- would mean that jayden daniels is available and we can probably arrange a relatively lucrative trade down.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i'm curious about whether the conversations around fashanu sliding are anything more than smoke. i feel like there were similar vibes around paris johnson last year and then he went 6 overall- ultimately it's just hard for teams to pass on an OT prospect that has displayed all the tools to get it done at that level. i will say i think the old regime might have passed on him because his strengths are much more as a pass blocker than a run blocker, but that probably no longer holds under callahan. 

really though, i think we're in a good spot to land *someone* who can make a difference. even the nightmare situation- alt, fashanu, nabers all gone- would mean that jayden daniels is available and we can probably arrange a relatively lucrative trade down.

I'll ultimately be ok with any move, since we could use help at every position. Some more than others. 

Just want them to maximize their draft spot. 

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

I think there are plenty of valid concerns about Fashanu.  He's not a powerful run blocker, and has trouble staying attached to blockers sometimes.  He's been mad overrated since last season.  JT Tuimoloa wrecked him this year and last.

But he also had really, really good tape this year against Illinois, and he looks insanely athletic on tape.  Hard not to imagine that he's not a high first rounder.

And honestly, Daniels/Maye still being on the board might actually be a dream scenario.  The Falcons pick after us, and teams will clamor to get in front of them to take the QB.  Every team after our pick, except the Bears and maybe the Jets, through pick 14, will be in the hunt for a QB.

But doing the math, if Fashanu, Alt, and Nabers are all off the board, then only two QBs could have possibly gone before pick 7.

42 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Works for us.

If a QB can fall or an edge really popp then we can really trade down. If not there are too many options at OT and WR for someone to come up to get one. 

I really want to get multiple of those top 50. 

38 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Seeing this just makes me want for us to move Treylon Burks primarily to the slot role next season.

With a (hopefully) lesser role and a coach known for putting guys in positions of their strength, I’m still not out on him. As dumb and crazy as that may be.

• Like 1