Week 1 Gameday Thread - Las Vegas Raiders @ THE UNDEFEATED Denver Broncos

lomaxgrUK

Looks like nobody else fancies it, so here we go!

Keys to the game:

Run the ball - It doesn't take a genius to figure out what our Offensive gameplan is going to be. A shaky QB with a new Coach, THREE WRs on the active roster and (at best) nervy Pass Pro from the Offensive Line. There is going to be a heavy dosage of the run game and extensions of the run game.

Stop the run - I feel like every single bad Raider game the last 10 years (lets face it, there's been a few) has been the result of us being ran over. Whether it's Darren McFadden, Michael Bush, Latavius Murray or Josh Jacobs - they've all eaten against Denver. 
With the lack of talent along the DL for the Broncos, in particular the depth, this is a big concern for me.

3rd and long pass protection - Probably could've just copied and pasted this since Peyton retired, to be honest. Max Crosby is Lawrence Taylor against the Broncos; we know this. The Broncos have had RT issues for Crosby's entire NFL stint and nobody in the NFL has taken advantage of this more than Crosby.
McGlinchey hasn't played at all in the preseason and pass pro isn't his strength. We've paid McGlinchey a lot of money, so providing help feels like a loss before the play has even started.
The Raiders have added top 10 talent on the otherside too, so this is going to be something to keep an eye on.

Offensive turnovers - Even the most optimistic of us know that in order for us to win close games, we HAVE to avoid turnovers on Offense. In all honesty, I think this is going to be one of those games where if you look at the turnover battle, the winner there could win the game. Russell just simply has to play a measured game. 
If he puts in one of those games where he just tosses it up twice and loses it twice, we've got no shot.

I can't give a prediction because if I'm honest, I don't know enough about the Raiders roster this year to comment.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

As much as I want us to win the game, I hope they're smart enough to sit Jeudy this week.    Hammy risk of re-injury is sky high at this point, and it looked like a grade 2 injury.    I'd love to hear he's coming back before Week 3-4, but I want him for the ROS.    

Marvin Mims, Brandon Johnson and the TE's will have to step up in the receiving game, as LV would be nuts to not focus on Sutton with Jeudy out.   

It feels like a broken record, but I hope we see major progress from our OL, run D and ST's this year.    For a team that enjoys the altitude edge, having a great ST wins the field position game, and being able to stop the run turns our HFA into a much bigger edge.   Fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan

Looking at the Raiders, it seems clear to me that Mac is attempting to build a team that will limit opponent’s offensive possessions by employing a clock-control running game and dink-and-dunk passing while having some firepower in the pass rush to hopefully cause enough disruption to their opponent’s passing attacks. Good strategy, TBH, against the big dogs in the AFC but one that plays into our hands. 

I expect Sean to lean heavily on the run game, especially with McGlinchy staring across at Maxx Crosby. But the Raiders are weak in the secondary and in the middle of the field. If we can run the ball effectively and use some combination of the TEs along with Sutton/Mims outside and over the middle, we can probably do enough on offense to win the game without Russ having to be the hero. Missing Jeudy and his ability after the catch hurts, but it’s not a game-changer. 

We have 2 games at home to start the year against teams that aren’t expected to be serious playoff contenders, we need to win both. And I think we will. The problems that plagued us last year in game management won’t exist this year with a veteran HC. 

I expect a somewhat close, low-scoring game where Carlson and Lutz will both be factors. The O/U of 44.5 feels way too high to me.

Broncos 23, Raiders 16

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This can’t surprise anyone. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/jones-reveals-no-longer-wants-171947050.html

Veteran linebacker Chandler Jones made several social media posts Tuesday in which he revealed, among other things, that he no longer wants to play for the Raiders if Josh McDaniels is the head coach. 

TBF, that IG story also referenced Antonio Brown and Aldon Smith as 2 guys to contact....which kinda sounds like the account was hacked.    Either that, or Jones got some REALLY bad weed last night (they stop testing before Week 1, and if Jones already had his test, then he's in the clear).

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

TBF, that IG story also referenced Antonio Brown and Aldon Smith as 2 guys to contact....which kinda sounds like the account was hacked.    Either that, or Jones got some REALLY bad weed last night (they stop testing before Week 1, and if Jones already had his test, then he's in the clear).

If it was a hack why not just come out immediately and say so? I think he was pissedoff and venting his frustrations - yes it could have just been in a moment of stress and some irrationality, but the claims it was a hack don’t seem legit to me.

Especially since a) the Raiders beat guys are all saying it’s radio silence from the franchise leadership and b) Mac, and other NE assistants who get HC/GM gigs, ALWAYS seem to have this kind of crap follow them around. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

49 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

…I kinda think we might stomp them. Sean Payton gonna be coaching with all the “eff you” in the world. Raiders games will feel like they matter again.

I agree with this lol. I think there's an extremely good chance we beat the piss out of them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

…I kinda think we might stomp them. Sean Payton gonna be coaching with all the “eff you” in the world. Raiders games will feel like they matter again.

It’s high drama for them even before week 1. The Raiders continue to be a ****show, and one of their own making, so they come in with that. 

Now, Mac, who I will concede is a good football mind, he has absolutely zero people skills and no abilities as a leader. And if last year proved anything it’s that he’s regressed as a gameday coach. But he does circle the Broncos games each year; the same way Mike circled the Raiders games and left here with a 21-7 record against them as our HC. Mac is 2-0 against us. I think we make that 2-1 this Sunday. 

I am just happy that I feel confident that the Broncos won't get out-coached.  I agree that we just run the ball down their throats. But I expect the Raiders to run balls down our throats.  So, I think this comes down to who has the better defense, and who has a better offensive gameplan.  I think the edge goes to the Broncos 31 to 17. 

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

We can't ignore the fact we've lost 6 in a row to the Raiders. The two main reasons for that (Crosby, Jacobs) are still there.

No way I'm predicting a stomping until I see it with those two playing.

Those are definitely two players to worry about. But nothing is more important than QB and HC and I think they’ve downgraded from Carr and we’ve upgraded from two pretty lousy head coaches. Haven’t had them in this September home spot in a while too.

I don’t think the result will be indicative of what kind of team this is, I expect them to have a letdown performance against Washington in Week 2. I just think this one will matter a lot to Payton and the team and they’ll play one of their best games of the year.