The Week 2 CFB Thread: Duke is a football school. Colorado in the playoff.

MikeT14

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

As an NFL prospect maybe, but I'd imagine for most people here the answer to this is luck.

As a college player, 2019 Burrow and 2010 Cam are in their own tier.

I'd put him above those guys from an ability perspective tbh.  I would say both as a prospect and as a college player.  In the same situation, I would take Caleb over any QB I've seen in college in my lifetime.  Obviously hasn't accomplished what Burrow and Cam did yet.  But we'll see what he does this year.

BTW Burrow, as great as he was (and before Caleb he was perhaps my #1 all time prospect), let's not forget was throwing to the two best receivers of the past 15 years.  That team was stupid stacked.  It was like if Peyton Manning played college football with Randy Moss and TO. 

59 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To be fair I watched the first 20 minutes of USC Stanford and Williams looked incredible. If he plays like that all year he's in that tier.

But yeah Tebow, Johnny, Vince Young, Leinart, Sam Bradford, Watson, Lawrence, probably some other dudes I'm missing this tier gets crowded are right below them.

With that list... I think you start to get into the "best" vs. "greatest" conversation a little bit.

Matt Leinart for example won back to back (almost 3 straight) nattys, a Heisman, and was runner up (I think?) the year after.  That's a resume you can put up against anyone.  But Caleb is BETTER and its not particularly close. 

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To be fair I watched the first 20 minutes of USC Stanford and Williams looked incredible. If he plays like that all year he's in that tier.

But yeah Tebow, Johnny, Vince Young, Leinart, Sam Bradford, Watson, Lawrence, probably some other dudes I'm missing this tier gets crowded are right below them.

Ironically VY didn’t even win it, Reggie did.

1 minute ago, Fresh Prince said:

I would probably put Luck, Lawrence as the top 2 prospects I’ve seen coming out of college 

Manning will always be 1 for me, followed by those 2.

I need to see Williams weigh in and get measured first. If he’s 6-2 or taller then he’s probably in that tier. If not, that’s cause for some concern.

Everybody talks about Burrow's WRs, but no one talks about how bad the OL was or how insane the schedule was. They beat Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Clemson. And they murdered half those guys.

And the OL being bad was relevant. Chase is ridiculous but go watch Burrow's highlights against anyone not Georgia Southern and it's most him simultaneously making big plays while running for his life yet controlling the game. He was college Aaron Rodgers.

EDIT: Oh and they named LSU as the best OL in CFB that year. That's how good he was at dodging pressure.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

Matt Leinart for example won back to back (almost 3 straight) nattys, a Heisman, and was runner up (I think?) the year after.  That's a resume you can put up against anyone.  But Caleb is BETTER and its not particularly close. 

If we're doing pure best and no adjustment for era, 100% the modern QBs blow anybody away from 15 years ago or beyond. They aren't just more athletic, they're better pure throwers too.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Everybody talks about Burrow's WRs, but no one talks about how bad the OL was or how insane the schedule was. They beat Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Clemson. And they murdered half those guys.

And the OL being bad was relevant. Chase is ridiculous but go watch Burrow's highlights against anyone not Georgia Southern and it's most him simultaneously making big plays while running for his life yet controlling the game. He was college Aaron Rodgers.

EDIT: Oh and they named LSU as the best OL in CFB that year. That's how good he was at dodging pressure.

The play against Oklahoma where he had to roll to his right and heave to Chase off his back foot right along the sideline was just obscene, the pocket collapsed immediately and he just floated a bit and threw dimes. Dude was on another planet. There's a reason the only real reason anybody approached his numbers was because the COVID year made everything stupid. 

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The play against Oklahoma where he had to roll to his right and heave to Chase off his back foot right along the sideline was just obscene, the pocket collapsed immediately and he just floated a bit and threw dimes. Dude was on another planet. There's a reason the only real reason anybody approached his numbers was because the COVID year made everything stupid. 

I maintain he belongs in the Cam tier.

The play in question:

EDIT: Sorry, different but similarly ridiculous play. Let me find the other one I know what you're talking out.

EDIT 2: Here it is.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There's also this throw from later in the OU game, which I have yet to see any non-Lawrence QB make since.

Maybe the most accurate passer prospect ever, completing essentially 75% of your passes over a full 14 game season where you throw 40 times a ******* game is OBSCENE. And his adjusted completion % was even higher lmao.