2024 Draft

Ftn49

Okay, Suamataia rewatch. He put on weight this past year to the point where he's exactly the build I'm looking for. Looks like Fuaga build wise now. But man, he still just has no idea what he is doing as a run blocker. The timing and angles are all wrong. His balance is bad. He doesn't have a feel for how he's supposed to help his teammates secure blocks when reach blocking. It's a mess. Dig the pass sets though. And he's physically exactly what I want. I think I still prefer Amegadjie, but it's reasonably close and I like them both as second round upside plays.

The NFL won't do anything about it, but kind of hilarious if Nick is right and he caught that the NFL messed that up. 

Thread backs up why he thinks that way 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 7:03 PM, StevenK said:

Funny that you think TE…

Erick All is a guy I can get behind. He actually ran option routes and beat man coverage for Iowa. That's half the offense. His body and top speed feel more fullback than tight end for me - I'm more comparing him physically to Juice than Kittle. So, for that role you don't need to win vertically one on one as much. You need wiggle, you'd like them to break tackles, you'd like them to block. You'd like them to be familiar with playing fullback and spreading wide because we are basically 33% inline, 33% wing, 33% out wide with Juice these days. All breaks tackles and has wiggle and has played out wide and on the wing. I'm not the world's biggest fan of his blocking, but I'm not really of Juice's either lol.

Honestly, if you are trying to replace Kittle, you need all round elite athleticism and especially you need top end speed. Kittle does so much damage on deep over routes and wheels against linebackers; those plays are TD hunting plays where for other guys they are 20 yard gains. Kittle also has elite short area quickness to get away from tackles and elite core strength to be a quality blocker. So even Theo Johnson's 10.00 RAS isn't what I'm looking for. Guy's too slow in a straight line.

I don't think that there is a player outside of Brock Bowers and maaaaaybe Jaheim Bell who could replace Kittle this year (people forget that Kittle came into the league just about the exact same size as Bowers). And no one outside of LaPorta or Bowers for the last two years. Maybe you can sneak an elite athlete under the radar somehow, but it's getting harder and harder. I think you're going to have to replace Kittle with a premium pick. 

If you are looking to replace Juice, however, then you could sell me on Ja'Tavion Sanders or some of these other guys. The physical skills required for that role are lower. Sanders, Sinnott, and Stover all look like they could perform that role quite well. I really like Sinnott - he's the best blocker of that group and the best tackle breaker. But I also really love Sanders' relentlessness as a blocker - he's not great techniquewise yet, but he never gives up on plays and gives his all. Stover would need a lot of work. Either way, I'm hesitant to do that before the third round. It's like replacing Jennings too early - these are useful players within the offense, but their roles can be scaled up or scaled back depending on other personnel. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Honestly, if you are trying to replace Kittle, you need all round elite athleticism and especially you need top end speed. Kittle does so much damage on deep over routes and wheels against linebackers; those plays are TD hunting plays where for other guys they are 20 yard gains. Kittle also has elite short area quickness to get away from tackles and elite core strength to be a quality blocker. So even Theo Johnson's 10.00 RAS isn't what I'm looking for. Guy's too slow in a straight line.

I don't think that there is a player outside of Brock Bowers and maaaaaybe Jaheim Bell who could replace Kittle this year (people forget that Kittle came into the league just about the exact same size as Bowers). And no one outside of LaPorta or Bowers for the last two years. Maybe you can sneak an elite athlete under the radar somehow, but it's getting harder and harder. I think you're going to have to replace Kittle with a premium pick. 

If you are looking to replace Juice, however, then you could sell me on Ja'Tavion Sanders or some of these other guys. The physical skills required for that role are lower. Sanders, Sinnott, and Stover all look like they could perform that role quite well. I really like Sinnott - he's the best blocker of that group and the best tackle breaker. But I also really love Sanders' relentlessness as a blocker - he's not great techniquewise yet, but he never gives up on plays and gives his all. Stover would need a lot of work. Either way, I'm hesitant to do that before the third round. It's like replacing Jennings too early - these are useful players within the offense, but their roles can be scaled up or scaled back depending on other personnel. 

I just can't get behind Sanders.

Though I respect your eye, I saw nothing on tape that compelled me.

Wiley to me, is the sleeper at TE.

No one's really talking about him but I just like his movement & body control.

Not ultra athletic but he has that sneaky athleticism where his very fluid in space.

He needs some work as a blocker but I think it's there.

Just needs to be in a culture where its emphasize and coaches him up in that regard.

Like you said, I don't think Kittle can be replicated.

At least not with anyone in this class.

Shanny can adjust the passing offense accordingly so I'm not really of the belief that you have to find a Kittle clone.

Just has to be someone who's efficient and willing as a blocker, while also capable of doing damage in the short - intermediate as a pass-catcher.

I think that's enough until you can find a more toolsy, athletic type, later down the line.

32 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just can't get behind Sanders.

Though I respect your eye, I saw nothing on tape that compelled me.

Wiley to me, is the sleeper at TE.

No one's really talking about him but I just like his movement & body control.

Not ultra athletic but he has that sneaky athleticism where his very fluid in space.

He needs some work as a blocker but I think it's there.

Just needs to be in a culture where its emphasize and coaches him up in that regard.

Like you said, I don't think Kittle can be replicated.

At least not with anyone in this class.

Shanny can adjust the passing offense accordingly so I'm not really of the belief that you have to find a Kittle clone.

Just has to be someone who's efficient and willing as a blocker, while also capable of doing damage in the short - intermediate as a pass-catcher.

I think that's enough until you can find a more toolsy, athletic type, later down the line.

I feel like Kittle gets a lot of credit for his straight line speed.  I understand running away from Man coverage is a big part of his game.  

I think it's cool to have that blazing speed at tight end, but I agree that Shanahan can find another valuable but different skill set, then adjust the offense accordingly. 

I feel like the next guy needs to have a few things to "replace" (step in for) Kittle.  The first is the ability to block in space and run block.  He also needs to have the ability to transition from blocking to receiving fluidly in the play action game. Lastly, he would have to have some kind of game breaking skill.  

On 3/8/2024 at 9:18 PM, Forge said:

This guy is a bruising runner, really tough to bring down but very inexperienced at offense. He was a S who was switched to an emergency RB. I do not see him going back to S as he was not as dynamic there...

5 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Kneeland is another one of these bigger tweener DE/DT types. Not my favorite guy to be honest. I just didn't think that he had NFL level juice at either position on first watch. But that was a while ago.

Could see a lot of turnover next year. Lenoir, Deebo, Jennings, Kittle, Juice, Greenlaw all could leave in 2025

You hope that some guys already on the 53 can pick up that slack - Luter, Bell, Willis, Winters, Graham have potential. They didn't do a whole lot their rookie year, but even Jennings was mainly on the PS his rookie year & Kittle was backing up Celek. I would wager at least 2-3 of those players will become contributors 

We've prioritized the DL in FA with two DE's & a DT. And i'm sure we'll draft at least 1 player each at those positions, but i think the bulk of our draft will be trying to prepare for the upcoming departures. So from rounds 3 on, i predict it'll be a lot of guys who we're banking on to replace players in 2025. And depth, like QB, RB & S

I do think our first 2 picks will be immediate starters, and I'm predicting we take an RT & RG at 31/63

Edited by 49ersfan

13 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Would he transition inside to guard or could he play T? 

Guys like Morgan should always be failed at tackle first, imo, but he's got sub 33" arms which likely means he ends up as a guard. Think he had some struggles during the senior bowl with defenders getting in on him which may ultimately suggest a final placement at guard as well. 

• Like 1

Stock Exchange had us go Nate Wiggins in round 1, Brandon Dorlus in round 2. 

I've softened on my thresholds just a bit, but weight for corner is not one. I don't care how fast you are, I don't want a 170 pound outside corner. Doesn't work for me. Not a dude I want. 

Dorlus is intriguing. Very light for the interior which is worrisome though, especially with small hands. He can't play outside in the NFL and survive imo. Strictly interior 3t, 4i type.  He's been putting on weight during the offseason. He's up like 15 pounds since the senior bowl, but he's still barely 280.  Lined up all over for Oregon...I saw him on the edge, at the nose lol. He's got nice explosion and can absolutely win with his giddyup. His pass rush is basically a explosion getting in under a lineman and utilizing space.  I like that he performed in college....I think that's what really separates him from other guys like Hall and Taylor.  If they made this pick, I don't think i would hate it but man he's so small lol. Not sure we need him either. Oregon also would run a lot of variable fronts including some wide 9 which I think probably benefits Dorlus, so if we are going to keep going with that, i think it works for him. 

• Like 2