2024 Draft

Ftn49

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

Stock Exchange had us go Nate Wiggins in round 1, Brandon Dorlus in round 2. 

I've softened on my thresholds just a bit, but weight for corner is not one. I don't care how fast you are, I don't want a 170 pound outside corner. Doesn't work for me. Not a dude I want. 

Dorlus is intriguing. Very light for the interior which is worrisome though, especially with small hands. He can't play outside in the NFL and survive imo. Strictly interior 3t, 4i type.  He's been putting on weight during the offseason. He's up like 15 pounds since the senior bowl, but he's still barely 280.  Lined up all over for Oregon...I saw him on the edge, at the nose lol. He's got nice explosion and can absolutely win with his giddyup. His pass rush is basically a explosion getting in under a lineman and utilizing space.  I like that he performed in college....I think that's what really separates him from other guys like Hall and Taylor.  If they made this pick, I don't think i would hate it but man he's so small lol. Not sure we need him either. Oregon also would run a lot of variable fronts including some wide 9 which I think probably benefits Dorlus, so if we are going to keep going with that, i think it works for him. 

Yeah, I just watched the same thing. Was going a bit crazy if the draft played out that way. Don’t mind corner in the first if it honestly played out that way, but like you said, I can’t see us taking a corner who is 170 and isn’t strong at tackling. I would have preferred TJ Tampa. 

In the second I feel like we would ultimately take our Oline guy. There was the Tackle from Yale - Kiran. I would have gone that direction. 

Saw it as well, the way the board fell was really rough at 31, but that's certainly a possible outcome. Which brings up the question, should we trade up to secure a tackle and if, which one? I am unsure whether Shanalynch would actually consider that though. 

Kiper has DeJean as the 18th ranked prospect and Worthy as the 14th ranked prospect. Don't get either at all. DeJean is a weird study for me because I am not quite sure what his best position/role is. He's a great athlete and damn good zone corner but is he better suited to play safety or nickel or even the star position? I don't think he is a full time outside cornerback. 

Worthy is fast as it gets but he's also like a buck 50. That's going to be a risky pick if he goes that high. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kiper has DeJean as the 18th ranked prospect and Worthy as the 14th ranked prospect. Don't get either at all. DeJean is a weird study for me because I am not quite sure what his best position/role is. He's a great athlete and damn good zone corner but is he better suited to play safety or nickel or even the star position? I don't think he is a full time outside cornerback. 

Worthy is fast as it gets but he's also like a buck 50. That's going to be a risky pick if he goes that high. 

DeJean is tailor made to play nickel imo. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dejean I like a lot. I don't care whether he's a safety or a corner....I think he's a legit talent and will be fine at either, including outside corner. I have no issues with him at 18. I like him more than I do guys like Wiggins, Rakestraw, TJ Tampa, etc. Ultimately, I do think he basically is the next Minkah though, tbh and he will settle in at safety but maybe get moved around here and there. 

Don't get the Worthy thing. Wouldn't take him in the first. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

DeJean is tailor made to play nickel imo. 

I mean I don' know if that is his best role either. You need a different type of change of direction skills off the nickel and he's mainly just an off man corner. DeJean needs space to operate where he can look at the QB. That is not happening in the nickel. 

Just now, Forge said:

Dejean I like a lot. I don't care whether he's a safety or a corner....I think he's a legit talent and will be fine at either, including outside corner. I have no issues with him at 18. I like him more than I do guys like Wiggins, Rakestraw, TJ Tampa, etc. Ultimately, I do think he basically is the next Minkah though, tbh and he will settle in at safety but maybe get moved around here and there. 

Don't get the Worthy thing. Wouldn't take him in the first. 

I have to watch all the corners but Wiggins has weight issues but dude is smooth as hell. I like a few corners in this draft. Tampa is someone that would be a good pick in the late 2nd round. 

I bet our scouting department will like Cam Hart. Day one mature corner that will be ready to play. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I have to watch all the corners but Wiggins has weight issues but dude is smooth as hell. I like a few corners in this draft. Tampa is someone that would be a good pick in the late 2nd round. 

I bet our scouting department will like Cam Hart. Day one mature corner that will be ready to play. 

Wiggins looks amazing on the field. But the weight kills me. I hated Forbes last year for that exact reason. I still think weight matters as an outside corner. It's a threshold I haven't abandoned. He's big enough to add the weight, but 20 pounds isn't a small thing on a guy that is 170. That's one of those situations where I'm spending his rookie season with the most important thing for me being his strength and conditioning and diet. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wiggins looks amazing on the field. But the weight kills me. I hated Forbes last year for that exact reason. I still think weight matters as an outside corner. It's a threshold I haven't abandoned. He's big enough to add the weight, but 20 pounds isn't a small thing on a guy that is 170. That's one of those situations where I'm spending his rookie season with the most important thing for me being his strength and conditioning and diet. 

A big difference between Forbes and Wiggins is that Wiggins is smoother and has better technique. Weight and strength matters more for someone like Forbes who has to play the style he has to play. I should note, I don't count Forbes out from bouncing back from a tough rookie season. Had much better reps late in the season. 

Back to DeJean, you can sell me on him being a good safety. I can't buy him being a full time outside or inside corner. Nope, don't see that at all. 

36.NFL-team-logo
Jackson Powers-JohnsonOC Oregon
trade-icon
63.NFL-team-logo
Christian HaynesOG UConn
67.NFL-team-logo
Adisa IsaacEDGE Penn State
trade-icon
94.NFL-team-logo
Xavier LegetteWR South Carolina
131.NFL-team-logo
Braden FiskeDT Florida State
133.NFL-team-logo
Cade StoverTE Ohio State
182.NFL-team-logo
Max MeltonCB Rutgers
trade-icon
211.NFL-team-logo
Caedan WallaceOT Penn State
215.NFL-team-logo
Dylan LaubeRB New Hampshire
221.NFL-team-logo
JD BertrandLB Notre Dame
  • Like 2

Hadn't really thought about the impact of Morgan Moses' trade would have on us, but after listening to a couple of mocks, it could definitely have an impact with the Ravens going OT first.  

There's definitely a good chance that at 31, if we don't move up, we are left with Suamataia or going in another direction 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hadn't really thought about the impact of Morgan Moses' trade would have on us, but after listening to a couple of mocks, it could definitely have an impact with the Ravens going OT first.  

There's definitely a good chance that at 31, if we don't move up, we are left with Suamataia or going in another direction 

Yea initially I thought the Moses/Tyron Smith pick up was going to help us, but it just passes the bucket to the Ravens now, like you said. 

I also think the Guard/Center prospects will fall at around Seattle and continue - JPJ, Barton and Frazier. I feel like we are valuing guard/center over Tackles, at least in the first. Maybe Morgan, but I heard Balt had him do drill after his pro day. I don’t know how far up we would have to trade to get our guy? 

We could get lucky, but I think we’ll have our share of one of the corners, maybe Kool Aid or even a pass rusher - Darius Robinson or one of the guys out of Penn State. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm doing more and more mocks where i don't end up with a tackle in the first. 

Some Newton, some Frazier, some Chop. 

Me too. I'm getting a lot of board states where I feel as though I've hit a noticable plateau in skill and am getting a guy I don't think I'd a clear first rounder. And we need all the cost controlled die rolls we can get, but if sending a 4th and some change gets me Latu or Latham or similar, I'm doing it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Me too. I'm getting a lot of board states where I feel as though I've hit a noticable plateau in skill and am getting a guy I don't think I'd a clear first rounder. And we need all the cost controlled die rolls we can get, but if sending a 4th and some change gets me Latu or Latham or similar, I'm doing it. 

31 is starting to feel more and more like a spot I want to trade down from. There are guys like Newton that I would love there. There are guys there that I'm mostly okay with....like, if they are there, I'll probably just take them. Even a guy like Guyton, who i personally don't "love", falls into that group. but there are a lot of guys that I like, but I like the same amount as a bunch of other guys I can get 12 picks later lol. Frazier is a guy I really lilke (give me all the centers with wrestling backgrounds), but I don't love it at 31. 

• Like 3