2023 Eagles General Chat

Danger

54 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Procedural move… now we wait to see in what capacity he practices and if he can be ready for the Jets game or has to wait for the Dolphins game next week.

I wonder how much does he improve the middle of the defense. I know his best asset are his instincts and his blitzing but those attributes are already present in our lesser LBs we have playing. Coverage help is much needed.  

2 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

Problem with Justin Simmons is he just turned 30 years old and has already missed time due to injury this year. Hes also a $18 mill cap hit this year and next year. Just dont see Howie giving up a 3rd or a 4th for a guy that old getting paid that much at the safety position. At least with Budda he turns 28 in January and actually has a lower cap but you would have to extend him in the offseason. Eagles best case scenario is finding out what they have in Sydney Brown and hope hes as good as we hope he is. Saving a lot of money and not using a mid round draft pick.

Ya, I just kinda think we need to make a move to upgrade either Safety or NCB. I don't think Evans is a problem, but he is easily someone we can upgrade on. I love Sydney going forward, but he is still a third round rookie and i think needs time to adjust to doing things he wasn't asked to do in college. NCB is an obvious need, but it is harder to find good CB's than safeties. I certainly hope Howie is looking to upgrade this roster though cause while it is very good there are spots it can be better.

I would prefer to get Budda, I just  don't think the Cards will be willing to trade him. I do think Simmons could be had though which is why I bring him up. Not sure how the contract stuff would all work out but I think Howie could get it done. Idk I hope we are looking to add someone. Howie is a lot more creative than me so I am sure he is looking and I hope it works out.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya, I just kinda think we need to make a move to upgrade either Safety or NCB. I don't think Evans is a problem, but he is easily someone we can upgrade on. I love Sydney going forward, but he is still a third round rookie and i think needs time to adjust to doing things he wasn't asked to do in college. NCB is an obvious need, but it is harder to find good CB's than safeties. I certainly hope Howie is looking to upgrade this roster though cause while it is very good there are spots it can be better.

I would prefer to get Budda, I just  don't think the Cards will be willing to trade him. I do think Simmons could be had though which is why I bring him up. Not sure how the contract stuff would all work out but I think Howie could get it done. Idk I hope we are looking to add someone. Howie is a lot more creative than me so I am sure he is looking and I hope it works out.

I think that safety position opposite Reed is the position to upgrade for sure. I think we should wait and see what Roby can offer as the nickel going forward. We started out rough vs the Rams but that 2nd half fantastic to see from the secondary. Holding Stafford, Puka, and Kupp to like 75 passing yards for almost a whole half of football is dam good, even if theres a pass rush. These reps that Jobe, Goodrich, and Ricks are getting are just going to make them better in the long run. Adding a safety you can be versatile with and move all over the field could take this defense to the next level, assuming Dean is actually an upgrade over Morrow.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

assuming Dean is actually an upgrade over Morrow.

FWIW Morrow is our 2nd highest graded defender behind Carter and ahead of Sweat. Granted a decent bit of that is cause of the 3 sack game. He's only missed 1 tackle to Cunningham’s 4. I like Cunningham’s stopping power when he can square a guy up, but he’s probably the weakest LB in coverage out of the 3 with his more limited range. I think he’s gonna be the one to go to the bench and maybe rotate in for snaps on run downs while Morrow plays along side Dean.

18 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I wonder how much does he improve the middle of the defense. I know his best asset are his instincts and his blitzing but those attributes are already present in our lesser LBs we have playing. Coverage help is much needed.  

I do think adding Dean in for Cunningham will improve coverage, but not sure by how much.

With that said, a really good coverage LB isn’t easy to find. I would like to find a guy with a lot of range to cover that we can pair with Dean moving forward next year.

Looking at the free agent list maybe we bring Jordan Hicks back to Philly on a 1 year deal even though he’ll be 32. Seems like he’s having a good season with the Vikings. But, that should tell you there isn’t a lot out there too.

Not sure how good the draft will be for 4-3 OLBs. @Ozzy has a good new post about it in his thread on the NFL Draft forum and he thinks it’s pretty underwhelming class for that position. But, if we are to find a running mate with Dean it’s likely gonna have to come in the draft.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

We all love seeing the Cowboys humiliated. But with Kinlaw's IG story or whatever, plus Kittles celebration, tells us a lot what Philly fans have known since last December. We know they are sour losers but it looks they are bad winners too. 

Think the 49ers are motivated by playing the villain role. They're out to make enemies and step on everyone's toes it seems.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I’d love to land Baker but it just isn’t gunna happen. They just extended him and he is worth way too much. I am looking at Justin Simmons from the Broncos personally. He would be a massive addition to our D and I don’t think he would be too expensive. Probably like a 3rd and a 6th or something like that. Broncos should be looking to sell and he would make our secondary so much better. 

Yeah. I just don’t think budda baker is gonna happen. The eagles have a certain way they like to construct their roster and they have budgets for certain positions. Safety is one of those positions they are iffy on giving out a lotta cash for so I think baker is very unlikely.

I think an interesting option might be Jeremy chinn. Back in 2020 the eagles 2nd round pick came down to Jeremy chinn or Jalen hurts. Obviously the eagles took hurts but I’m assuming they still like chinn. Chinn is on the last year of his rookie contract and is an UFA after this year so he won’t cost a ton. I think the eagles can flip a mid round pick for chinn and then after the year howie can decide whether to keep him or recoup the mid round pick as a compensatory pick in the 2025 draft. So it’d almost be like a free trade, similar to the CJGJ trade but the compensation comes later. Chinn is a hybrid safety and would be lethal in desais defense in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

Yeah. I just don’t think budda baker is gonna happen. The eagles have a certain way they like to construct their roster and they have budgets for certain positions. Safety is one of those positions they are iffy on giving out a lotta cash for so I think baker is very unlikely.

I think an interesting option might be Jeremy chinn. Back in 2020 the eagles 2nd round pick came down to Jeremy chinn or Jalen hurts. Obviously the eagles took hurts but I’m assuming they still like chinn. Chinn is on the last year of his rookie contract and is an UFA after this year so he won’t cost a ton. I think the eagles can flip a mid round pick for chinn and then after the year howie can decide whether to keep him or recoup the mid round pick as a compensatory pick in the 2025 draft. So it’d almost be like a free trade, similar to the CJGJ trade but the compensation comes later. Chinn is a hybrid safety and would be lethal in desais defense in my opinion.

A name I saw last night that I hadnt thought of was Kyle Dugger from the patriots. Good safety that would be an upgrade. 27 years old on the last year of his deal and very cheap. Shouldnt cost much to get him if the patriots are willing to trade him and it could be a 1 year rental so that Sydney Brown would be in line to start next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UndyTaker said:

A name I saw last night that I hadnt thought of was Kyle Dugger from the patriots. Good safety that would be an upgrade. 27 years old on the last year of his deal and very cheap. Shouldnt cost much to get him if the patriots are willing to trade him and it could be a 1 year rental so that Sydney Brown would be in line to start next year.

My exact thoughts as well regarding Sydney brown. I think the eagles might look at Sydney brown as the future but not necessarily ready in year 1. This is why trading for a guy in his last year might be a good move for now and let Sydney take over next year.

• Like 1