Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

35 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

the other thing that always pops up with getsy is he calls a GREAT opening script, but then once that's done he seems to turtle and not know how to counter when the defense changes what they're doing

I don't know what it is but I'm convinced someone else is scripting our opening drives. Outside of them we seem to be running some kind of high school offense.

You've gotta admire how many guys have been able to piggy-back off Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay though. Hackett, Getsy, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

He has 3 game winning drives in the 4th quarter or OT in his career

7 times he's thrown for 300 yards again in his career.  (1-6 in those games, correct me if I'm wrong)

Is it Fields, is it coaching or is it both?  Is this going to be another Cutler situation?  A new OC every year or two.  I think that's part of why Cutler wasn't as good as he could have been with us. 

What about drafting Williams or Maye and keep Fields in a Taysom Hill role?  His game is inconsistent, but again, it it Fields himself, Getsy or both? 

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

the other thing that always pops up with getsy is he calls a GREAT opening script, but then once that's done he seems to turtle and not know how to counter when the defense changes what they're doing

Aikman was making fun of it in the 4Q last night. “When you run it enough times they’re gonna figure it out.” It’s THAT bad. WR tunnel screens are fine but there HAS to be a counter play run off of it. Pump fake the screen and run a draw occasionally. Or, rocket science here, run other plays out of the formation. I won’t pretend I should be an NFL OC, but JFC, it’s not that complicated to understand.

The biggest issue for me is that we still don’t know if it’s Fields or Getsy (or both), which IMO was the one thing that couldn’t happen. Getsy is SO bad (was there a single moving pocket last night? A single traditional PA pass?) that he was basically taking decision making out of Fields’ hands. And, lo and behold, when we didn’t spam tunnel screens Fields made plays. He hit his check downs to Kmet several times. He escaped pressure in the pocket and found Moore and Johnson up the field. He hit Moore on the last drive. It certainly wasn’t flawless, but it looked like football, and Fields certainly looked like he can play it when Getsy lets him. 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Watch the way Poles embraces JF1 right at the beginning. Dude loves Justin. Don’t discount that element in the equation.

I noticed this too but my main takeaway is that this team is celebrating way too hard for a team that didn't score a touchdown.

I get it--I'm a competitor too and I like winning but if I can't even accomplish the primary objective of the game in the process of winning... you wouldn't see me doing this.

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I don't know what it is but I'm convinced someone else is scripting our opening drives. Outside of them we seem to be running some kind of high school offense.

Its anecdotal, but I feel like everyone says this about their offenses.

Its the thing you get to practice the most every week, so it should be better. But yes, once we get through those scripts, its either Getsy completely turtles, or Justin cant conceptualize anything other than these simple plays (or more likely a combo of both) 

15 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I noticed this too but my main takeaway is that this team is celebrating way too hard for a team that didn't score a touchdown.

I get it--I'm a competitor too and I like winning but if I can't even accomplish the primary objective of the game in the process of winning... you wouldn't see me doing this.

By this same standard, would you also not celebrate if we won 34-31 because the defense gave up 31 points when their primary objective is to stop the opponent from scoring and they failed at it? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

By this same standard, would you also not celebrate if we won 34-31 because the defense gave up 31 points when their primary objective is to stop the opponent from scoring and they failed at it? 

You would for sure celebrate.  

Just way it is.  You would have concerns, but you would be still be jacked.  Philly is jacked they won over Buffalo and they should be.  Buffalo still went up and down field on them.  

But it is hard to celebrate a reg. season game where you got completely shut down offensively and when you aren't sure about your QB going forward.

It is easier to fix a defense than a QB.

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You would for sure celebrate.  

Just way it is.  You would have concerns, but you would be still be jacked.  Philly is jacked they won over Buffalo and they should be.  Buffalo still went up and down field on them.  

But it is hard to celebrate a reg. season game where you got completely shut down offensively and when you aren't sure about your QB going forward.

It is easier to fix a defense than a QB.

Says a fan of a team that has historically had good defenses. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The defense is supposed to limit points scored, yes. But there's more to it than that, including giving your offense time to rest and make adjustments. If you put the '85 Bears defense out there, and you're still putting up 12 points a week, you probably aren't even making the playoffs.

Edited by chisoxguy7

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. Such a hardo statement. Their job is football and football is more fun than what anyone else does for a living. Nothing wrong with enjoying a win. 

• Like 1