Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Do we fire Getsy?

Getsy might legitimately be the first domino that takes out fields and Flus, tbh. 

Getsy simply has to be replaced, imo. 

-But then you're revamping the offense on fields yet again.... Not good... And makes an argument to move on from fields

-and who will Flus be able to get to be oc, if he stays? We're already half a game from flushing the entire staff and Fields down the toilet... Who really would come in here knowing the seat is already hot? Or wants to bet their entire career on being able to get fields to read the field quickly, and throw with anticipation, when he's shown little to no capability to do so. 

-finally there's the Flus factor. The defense looks alot better now.... But if we reset the oc, and reset the qb..... Are we really going to keep doing the same thing yet again where the qb and coach aren't ever synced? We keep flus, but can't get a good oc because flus is still on the hot seat..... Our qb wastes his rookie year learning a bad system from another bad oc, and the entire coaching staff is fired before year 2. That in turn hurts our ability to develop the next qb, and on and on and on the cycle goes. 

Logic almost dictates that the only reasonable path forward is fire all the coaches, including Flus, despite the defense having a really damn good turnaround in just a year.. Trade Fields, and draft a QB @1.1

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Getsy might legitimately be the first domino that takes out fields and Flus, tbh. 

Getsy simply has to be replaced, imo. 

-But then you're revamping the offense on fields yet again.... Not good... And makes an argument to move on from fields

-and who will Flus be able to get to be oc, if he stays? We're already half a game from flushing the entire staff and Fields down the toilet... Who really would come in here knowing the seat is already hot? Or wants to bet their entire career on being able to get fields to read the field quickly, and throw with anticipation, when he's shown little to no capability to do so. 

-finally there's the Flus factor. The defense looks alot better now.... But if we reset the oc, and reset the qb..... Are we really going to keep doing the same thing yet again where the qb and coach aren't ever synced? We keep flus, but can't get a good oc because flus is still on the hot seat..... Our qb wastes his rookie year learning a bad system from another bad oc, and the entire coaching staff is fired before year 2. That in turn hurts our ability to develop the next qb, and on and on and on the cycle goes. 

Logic almost dictates that the only reasonable path forward is fire all the coaches, including Flus, despite the defense having a really damn good turnaround in just a year.. Trade Fields, and draft a QB @1.1

It's an interesting situation when there are so many routes to take that are so different and there's no obvious best way.  I do think the worst way might be some half-way solution where you remove some but not all the key people, like keeping FLus but moving on from Fields.  I don't think this staff has shown they can develop or match a QB, so it's a nightmare to imagine them having a guy for one year and then getting canned if things don't continue to improve.  I suspect for the management it's all going to come down to whether you want to continue with Fields, and if so you keep everyone possibly including Getsy (bleh but do you really want to have him in a third system in 4 years?)  That's also the most McCaskeyish outcome, as everything indicates they hate change and attention on them, so running it back is both conservative and gives them the look of wise and patient leadership if it works out.  Probably lowest risk solution.  Other "best" would be starting over with everyone gone and a QB focused staff picking their QB.  

Don't think we'll ever know for sure, but I think the pivot point is Fields, how he does and how Poles or Warren like his future. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

and who will Flus be able to get to be oc, if he stays? We're already half a game from flushing the entire staff and Fields down the toilet... Who really would come in here knowing the seat is already hot? Or wants to bet their entire career on being able to get fields to read the field quickly, and throw with anticipation, when he's shown little to no capability to do so. 

Greg Roman took the year off and apparently is studying the NFL. He has elite run schemes but his passing scheme leaves A LOT to be desired.

He coached Lamar Jackson to an MVP, Justin Fields is a similar player so there's that I guess... but if he can't sell leadership on having a revamped and much improved passing game, it would be a hard sell to me.

• Like 1

Guys, seriously? What does another year matter in a system when it is hot steaming garbage?

Some times you guys act like these guys are middle schoolers and can’t handle any change at all. 

Guess what, every single example you can try and throw out of this “sinking” a guy, is of a guy who wasnt that good to begin with. 

No it’s not ideal, you’d rather your QB and your OC to be growing together. But it is obvious that the OC is stubbornly regressing. And yea the QB isn’t progressing like he should, but there are glimpses of greatness that shine through in-spite of the system, not because of it. 

If Fields can’t handle a new, better (in theory) system, then he was never the guy to begin with. That’s just reality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Guys, seriously? What does another year matter in a system when it is hot steaming garbage?

Exactly. I'm not expecting Getsy - who ran away from what was obviously working last year and seemed hellbent on running his system even if the pieces don't fit it - to have an epiphany and suddenly not be Nagy-level incompetent. Sometimes a weak link can only be that.

Some times you guys act like these guys are middle schoolers and can’t handle any change at all.

I'd argue the opposite. Most of us want to change WAY more. Lol. I do get what you're saying though.

No it’s not ideal, you’d rather your QB and your OC to be growing together. But it is obvious that the OC is stubbornly regressing. And yea the QB isn’t progressing like he should, but there are glimpses of greatness that shine through in-spite of the system, not because of it. 

If Fields can’t handle a new, better (in theory) system, then he was never the guy to begin with. That’s just reality. 

When you hire a defensive HC or a strictly CEO-type of HC you hope the OC has a solid system in place for the offense to run. Then if/when the OC gets his shot to be a HC you hope there is someone groomed in that system under him, like how Dorsey took the reigns after Daboll got his shot in NY. Even then they may flop. It is still a risk. The system might change because they poach that guy to be under them too. It's just a chance that must be taken.

Systems might change but that doesn't mean any solid OC shouldn't be able to review film, speak with Amy retained staff and players, and adapt what worked into his own. Things that have worked well, outside zone, misdirection plays where Fields gets to extend outside the pocket, and deeper in routes have worked well for CHI when they use someone else to pull the safety back. Those aren't exclusive to any scheme and can be done by anyone. Designed QB runs can and ahould be used, but Fields needs to understand when to go down and to be conservative. A 6 yard run isnt a bad thing because he CAN break a 60 yarder off, its a great thing because now its 2nd and 4, and as a QB that SHOULD open thr playbook up for anything.

Seeing things like the 3 identical screens to the RB vs TB or other frequent sequencing issues have to stop though. Seeing something work like an outside zone and getting away from it entirely, or not even playing off that with play action to mimic it and take a deeper shot when LBs and S's come up is criminal.

If Eberflus stays I'm fine with it, I'd much rather have my top 3 choices but he has shown to be far more competent than he appeared early on and somehow kept the locker room tight - an impressive feat with the ****show that was Halas Hall for the first half of this season. But if Getsy is a point Ebeflus doesn't want to fire then he needs to go with Getsy, because Getsy isn't going to suddenly have that 'aha' moment and be Shanahan. He has held Eberflus and Fields both back, and the little success they share has been in spite of Getsy. Not because of him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Exactly. I'm not expecting Getsy - who ran away from what was obviously working last year and seemed hellbent on running his system even if the pieces don't fit it - to have an epiphany and suddenly not be Nagy-level incompetent. Sometimes a weak link can only be that.

I'd argue the opposite. Most of us want to change WAY more. Lol. I do get what you're saying though.

When you hire a defensive HC or a strictly CEO-type of HC you hope the OC has a solid system in place for the offense to run. Then if/when the OC gets his shot to be a HC you hope there is someone groomed in that system under him, like how Dorsey took the reigns after Daboll got his shot in NY. Even then they may flop. It is still a risk. The system might change because they poach that guy to be under them too. It's just a chance that must be taken.

Systems might change but that doesn't mean any solid OC shouldn't be able to review film, speak with Amy retained staff and players, and adapt what worked into his own. Things that have worked well, outside zone, misdirection plays where Fields gets to extend outside the pocket, and deeper in routes have worked well for CHI when they use someone else to pull the safety back. Those aren't exclusive to any scheme and can be done by anyone. Designed QB runs can and ahould be used, but Fields needs to understand when to go down and to be conservative. A 6 yard run isnt a bad thing because he CAN break a 60 yarder off, its a great thing because now its 2nd and 4, and as a QB that SHOULD open thr playbook up for anything.

Seeing things like the 3 identical screens to the RB vs TB or other frequent sequencing issues have to stop though. Seeing something work like an outside zone and getting away from it entirely, or not even playing off that with play action to mimic it and take a deeper shot when LBs and S's come up is criminal.

If Eberflus stays I'm fine with it, I'd much rather have my top 3 choices but he has shown to be far more competent than he appeared early on and somehow kept the locker room tight - an impressive feat with the ****show that was Halas Hall for the first half of this season. But if Getsy is a point Ebeflus doesn't want to fire then he needs to go with Getsy, because Getsy isn't going to suddenly have that 'aha' moment and be Shanahan. He has held Eberflus and Fields both back, and the little success they share has been in spite of Getsy. Not because of him.

👏 👏 👏 

• Like 1