Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

52 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

As someone who thought two third picks sounded pretty good I'm finding multiple seconds enticing but still seems unrealistic. 8 overall is like this request letter I wrote to Cindy Crawford in fourth grade...

Fields is better than any of those guys when they were traded (Wentz for a 1st & 3rd was crazy at the time)...

Never underestimate the supply and demand element of the QB position in the NFL...there are never enough quality ones to go around and while some might not want to hear it Fields would make a lot of teams far better from the day he got there.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Fields is better than any of those guys when they were traded (Wentz for a 1st & 3rd was crazy at the time)...

Never underestimate the supply and demand element of the QB position in the NFL...there are never enough quality ones to go around and while some might not want to hear it Fields would make a lot of teams far better from the day he got there.

It’s the potential that drives those values. I never saw it with Rosen personally, but he was also just 1 year removed from the draft at that point. All of them had obvious physical talent so these trades are a bet that a better situation brings out their potential. In the hypothetical (2024 & 2025 2s plus a later 2024 pick for Fields), if the player hits and is a long term solution at the position the value is a steal, and if he doesn’t then the cost is far more palatable (and survivable from a front office standpoint) than a 1st round miss. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Yes, but I'd also look for more immediate solutions as well..

For example, Washington has 36 and 40 this draft.... I'd consider that to get both the 2nd rounders this year, even without gaining the late rounder, and even if I had to kick back a later round pick to them.

Atlanta, simply has players I'd like. Bijan being the prime example. Would outright do a 1 for 1 trade there. Or even Fields + a mid-late rounder

The giants have Hyatt-WR who would be useful.... and maybe a mid rounder.

There's probably 100 other example scenarios people could come up with, but you get the idea. Basically I'd be impatient towards maximizing value around the new QB this year, as a preference.

EDIT that's all also assuming the 2x 2nds and a mid-late pick are really possible......

Me personally, the best I was expecting was a single early-mid 2nd rounder

I’d love 36 and 40 this year but I don’t see WSH as a suitor for Fields simply because they themselves pick 2nd and will have the ability to just draft Williams or Maye, either of whom is a talent worthy of #1 overall IMO.

Personally I think our most realistic suitors for a Fields trade are, in no particular order, ATL, LV and PIT. All have their 2 this year (43, 44 and 51, respectively) and all their picks next year. PIT has an extra 4 this year and an extra 5 next year as well.

Of those potential suitors I think are outsiders, WSH and NE both have top 3 picks, DEN has no 2nd rounder this year (Sean Payton trade) and I don’t see JF as a fit in Payton’s scheme, AZ I think rolls with Kyler after he finished the season well (and they’ll draft MHJ), NYJ will be all in on Rodgers for 2024 and MIN is in our division and probably retains Cousins. NYG is a fence team for me, but Schoen/Daboll seemed to have the chance to take our gig 2 years ago and passed in favor of Daniel Jones so I’m not sure of their interest in Justin. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d love 36 and 40 this year but I don’t see WSH as a suitor for Fields simply because they themselves pick 2nd and will have the ability to just draft Williams or Maye, either of whom is a talent worthy of #1 overall IMO.

Personally I think our most realistic suitors for a Fields trade are, in no particular order, ATL, LV and PIT. All have their 2 this year (43, 44 and 51, respectively) and all their picks next year. PIT has an extra 4 this year and an extra 5 next year as well.

Of those potential suitors I think are outsiders, WSH and NE both have top 3 picks, DEN has no 2nd rounder this year (Sean Payton trade) and I don’t see JF as a fit in Payton’s scheme, AZ I think rolls with Kyler after he finished the season well (and they’ll draft MHJ), NYJ will be all in on Rodgers for 2024 and MIN is in our division and probably retains Cousins. NYG is a fence team for me, but Schoen/Daboll seemed to have the chance to take our gig 2 years ago and passed in favor of Daniel Jones so I’m not sure of their interest in Justin. 

If he has to go anywhere I hope it is Atlanta and with Belichick...the kid deserves to land somewhere that there is talent around him and that everything is on the table to build an offence specifically for him.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really don’t see the appeal of McCarthy as a starting QB in the NFL. When I watched him I always felt like I saw a guy who was being carried by the great team around him. I admittedly haven’t watched nearly as much of him as the other guys, but he just feels like a massive projection to me. 

Ceiling is something like a Brock Purdy with speed?

You can dream on Fields' potential a lot more than Darnold's or Rosen's. And he's a low-ego personality who should fit in any locker room.

It's easy to see a team falling in love with him. The Bears want 2 teams to fall in love with him. I almost hope Harbaugh/Roman land outside of Atlanta. That would give Fields 2 natural destinations.

51 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree with sentiment of not having both on roster, but not sure his trade value is peaking.  If he ended on a high note, which I was hoping, it would be.

I mean, a range of numbers can peak and still not be very high right? He probably had the most eyes on him after the middle stretch in 2022, but his trade value+likelyhood to be available is probably as high as it's going to get unless they roll with him in 2024 and he balls out and then for some reason (bears) they trade him to draft a QB at 16.

It's REALLY weird the range of values people are throwing out there for Fields. I just think there are a lot of QBs in the draft and a handful in FA that might keep his value from being that high, but then again all it takes is one team (or better, two) to think they're the ones who can max him out and show everyone they were right. 

45 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I mean, a range of numbers can peak and still not be very high right? He probably had the most eyes on him after the middle stretch in 2022, but his trade value+likelyhood to be available is probably as high as it's going to get unless they roll with him in 2024 and he balls out and then for some reason (bears) they trade him to draft a QB at 16.

It's REALLY weird the range of values people are throwing out there for Fields. I just think there are a lot of QBs in the draft and a handful in FA that might keep his value from being that high, but then again all it takes is one team (or better, two) to think they're the ones who can max him out and show everyone they were right. 

I think his value peaked at the end of 2022's season.

He got a 5th place vote for MVP so he was with like 8-10 other guys to be in 9th place in MVP voting, had a hell of a stretch, still two years left on his rookie deal (3 with the 5th year option) and looked like a clear upswing was available. Getsy's playcalling even looked like it was in a tanking effort for the last quarter of the season, as he took away a fair bit of calls to get Justin on the move. I think there was plenty of justification to him being looked at for a higher pick after that offseason than he will warrant for this one. Plus he did all that with Mooney being his WR1.

You also just came off the 2022 draft with a terrible crop of QBs, had 2 QBs at the top of the draft that had major concerns (one was pocket sized and the other was an OSU QB who came from a QB-friendly system with NFL talent all over). Then there was a big drop off as Richardson has ridiculous measurables but frequently flubbed easy passes that were drive killers, so you knew you probably had a project player that would have to run a pretty vanilla offense tailored to his gifts as he was developed. I may have underestimated Levis and never had much faith in Hooker or the others as more than back ups. So even the top 3 all had huge questions.

Obviously hope I'm wrong but I feel like the cutting his deal down to 2 years before a franchise tag or extension hurts his appeal a little.

Hope I'm wrong but

i think his value is high because every single sports talk show for the next month is going to have the debate "should the bears keep or trade him" and if JF is comparable to the player thats going to go 1.1, then a team that needs a QB but isn't in reach of the first handful of picks would have the capability of getting that comparable player for most likely a base level 2nd round pick.

a team like NE, LV, or ATL might find they can get a guy at the top of their board with their FRP and take a shot with a new QB in the 2nd that might have more potential than Nix/Penix, both of whom are only a year younger than JF

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

ATL makes the most sense to me, and part of that is because I want Justin to go into a solid situation (talent on offense plus it's his hometown):

#43 (2nd)

#79 (3rd)

2025 2nd

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

ATL makes the most sense to me, and part of that is because I want Justin to go into a solid situation (talent on offense plus it's his hometown):

#43 (2nd)

#79 (3rd)

2025 2nd

My gut is telling me whatever pick we get in 2025 (if we get one) in a Fields trade would be conditional. And really, that probably makes the most sense for both sides - we get a chance to get another premium pick if he’s a superstar elsewhere in year 1 and the other team gets some protection in the event he totally flames out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

#43 (2nd)

#79 (3rd)

2025 2nd

As much as that would be a good situation and make a lot of sense for Fields,  my gut tells me he's going to be traded to a team in the AFC if at all

My guesses would be either the Steelers or Raiders

Poles has a history of dealing with Steelers GM Omar Khan (Claypool trade) and I don't see Tomlin going into next season with Pickett and Rudolph as his QBs. Those guys just aren't going to move the needle at all

I think Fields would fit well on that team and Bears would only have to play against him every other year.

Last thing I'd want to happen is we trade Fields in conference and he blossoms and we potentially have to play against him both in the regular season and playoffs every season 

I am on record as being high on Fields from draft all the way to Cleveland game.

I still believe Fields can be really good IF he corrects certain things: his slow drop, his slow delivery, his slow processing and his tendency to not avoid slobber knocking hits.

In 2021 I argued with a number of people that Fields was an elite athlete.  He surprised even me with what he showed in 2022 in running football.  Nobody knew he was THAT fast.  IMO he is most athletic QB in league.  In world.  Even more so than Jackson.  

But he hasn't corrected above. 

I just heard two podcasts that blames coaching for his above flaws.  Can he correct his flaws still?  Who knows?  Maybe.  I am not sure you can correct a slow processing chip.  But reps, good coaching and experience certainly help with that.

Here is the thing.  We aren't just blaming Getsy.   

Justin Fields has been playing QB for a long time.  Probably since he was 6 years old or something.  He probably had a pretty good HS coach.  He went to camps.  He has a personal QB coach.

So all those guys suck.  

He went to Georgia.  Do all the Georgia coaches suck?

Do the Ohio St. coaches suck? 

Did Nagy suck?  As a HC yes.  But Andy Reid doesn't suck and he hired Nagy twice now to coach QBs and be OC.  

At what point are Justin Fields flaws Justin Fields fault?   

For me, I was patient up to Cleveland game.   I may be willing to wait another year for him or his new coach to fix his flaws, if we were drafting later in draft.   But we are drafting number 1 overall again.

You can go back and look at my preseason posts.  I wanted both a high pick to trade and Justin Fields to have seized the day.  One of those things happened.  

We passed last year and I agreed.   I can't agree again.  The time is now to move on.  

Can it blow up in my face and Justin goes on to be great?  Yes.  But my reasoning is still sound.   You have to take chances and make decisions based on totality of information at hand.

• Like 2