Week 2 Home Opener against Ravens

Beck Bristow

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

Cautiously optimistic that last week was a major wakeup call.  Extremely pessimistic that the offense needs some time to figure it out.

I don't know what to make of last week. A lot of weather, and rusty QB after he missed so much camp. Is that all? The film reviews I saw said there were a lot of misses by 9. Did his bad play let Cleveland just pin their ears back and come after them hard with their super talented pass rush? Do we not have any offense other than just let Joe cook? Play calling needs to give the team some help.

Going to come down to is Burrow is right or at least right enough.  Better weather conditions should help, but the calf clearly isn't 100% yet.  The good news is game reps have been had, another week of practice, and the run game showed a few signs of life even in that crappy of a game.  Missing pre-season every year leads to slow starts from the offense, can't say we're shocked.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Going to come down to is Burrow is right or at least right enough.  Better weather conditions should help, but the calf clearly isn't 100% yet.  The good news is game reps have been had, another week of practice, and the run game showed a few signs of life even in that crappy of a game.  Missing pre-season every year leads to slow starts from the offense, can't say we're shocked.

I wasn't shocked at the slow start, or losing the game.

I however was shocked at how ****ty they were.. the offense was just pathetic

Hopefully Sunday is a sunny dry 70 degree day. 

1. Burrow is still clearly hurt and rusty from lack of preseason/camp. What are we supposed to do now? Sit him while we're already 0-2 for the next three weeks, or continue playing him at 50% and risk worsening injury every week? Might as well throw in the towel.

2. The defense has disappointed. Pass rush isn't there and the secondary hasn't been good. No one is making a play.

3. Watching Miami, SF, and LAR use motion and scheme guys open is night and day compared to our offense. Nothing has been easy without Joe in MVP form.

4. LAR is a good team. Next week will not be easy. We could very well start 0-3.

5. Even in hindsight, I'm more worried now than last year. The appendectomy thing was going to heal on it's own over time. There appears to be no end in sight for the calf injury unless Joe rests. If he's not at 100% we're sunk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

1. Burrow is still clearly hurt and rusty from lack of preseason/camp. What are we supposed to do now? Sit him while we're already 0-2 for the next three weeks, or continue playing him at 50% and risk worsening injury every week? Might as well throw in the towel.

2. The defense has disappointed. Pass rush isn't there and the secondary hasn't been good. No one is making a play.

3. Watching Miami, SF, and LAR use motion and scheme guys open is night and day compared to our offense. Nothing has been easy without Joe in MVP form.

4. LAR is a good team. Next week will not be easy. We could very well start 0-3.

5. Even in hindsight, I'm more worried now than last year. The appendectomy thing was going to heal on it's own over time. There appears to be no end in sight for the calf injury unless Joe rests. If he's not at 100% we're sunk.

We almost have to sit him.  Hindsight is 20/20, but they should have just planned on him sitting out week 1 to increase the time of recovery.  Maybe he would have played yesterday anyway.  Either way, his lack of zip is not only limiting him physically, it's limiting the play calling.  They aren't throwing deep, and only throwing over the middle on 4 yard routes.  And we are too easy to defend based on formations.  I took my daughter to the game yesterday and predicting about 60 percent of the plays based on formation and pre-snap motion.  If I can, the worst DCs out there surely can.

On 9/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, sparky151 said:

I'd guess Joe keeps playing as long as he can. Putting Browning out there is basically conceding the game that week. His calf is unlikely to get much better with him playing on it but it might not get a lot worse. Or it could...

Reading the tea leaves, I think he sits tonight.