• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

I don't see Caleb as the better prospect to MHJR when you remove positional value.  MHJR is being called a future HOFer, a generational prospect, and a can't miss pick (obviously he could miss, but as a prospect you don't get rated much higher than that).  Caleb has several flaws, none moreso perhaps than the one between his ears.  So how do you put CW ahead of MHJR on a big board?

Also, what happened with Jer'Zhan Newton? He went from a Top 10-15 prospect to 30's and did nothing - I get guys like JPJ rising up the board, but what caused Newton to fall so far?

Edited by MaddHatter

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

Also, what happened with Jer'Zhan Newton? He went from a Top 10-15 prospect to 30's and did nothing - I get guys like JPJ rising up the board, but what caused Newton to fall so far?

He’s caught up in the draft microscope. He’s on the small side, short arms, issues with double teams blah, blah, blah. I suspect it will iron out by draft day and he’ll be back in the 20s. 

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

I don't see Caleb as the better prospect to MHJR when you remove positional value.  MHJR is being called a future HOFer, a generational prospect, and a can't miss pick (obviously he could miss, but as a prospect you don't get rated much higher than that).  Caleb has several flaws, none moreso perhaps than the one between his ears.  So how do you put CW ahead of MHJR on a big board?

I think the reason that Caleb Williams is higher on the board is solely due to his position. QB will always get preferential treatment whether the player deserves it or not. I think Caleb Williams has significant maturity issues and is WAY too reckless as a player, but the arm talent is remarkable, and that will compel GMs to take him, even with Marvin Harrison, Jr. not only being the best player in the draft, but a truly viable HOF prospect. IMO, he's the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

As far as Jer'Zhan Newton, I have no idea. I suspect that he'll jump back up the boards after the combine if he chooses to participate. All I know is that unless a top QB prospect fall to us, I'd likely run to the table to draft him if he fell to 24. And yes, I know that Jerry doesn't have the stones to draft a QB because he refuses to let Dak walk, even though he should.

Edited by plan9misfit

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

I think the reason that Caleb Williams is higher on the board is solely due to his position. QB will always get preferential treatment whether the player deserves it or not. I think Caleb Williams has significant maturity issues and is WAY too reckless as a player, but the arm talent is remarkable, and that will compel GMs to take him, even with Marvin Harrison, Jr. not only being the best player in the draft, but a truly viable HOF prospect. IMO, he's the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

As far as Jer'Zhan Newton, I have no idea. I suspect that he'll jump back up the boards after the combine if he chooses to participate. All I know is that unless a top QB prospect fall to us, I'd likely run to the table to draft him if he fell to 24. And yes, I know that Jerry doesn't have the stones to draft a QB because he refuses to let Dak walk, even though he should.

And that's fair - I don't blame a team taking Caleb over MHJR especially since the top 3 teams need a QB - I also expect Drake to go ahead of him, but I thought a "Big Board" usually didn't reflect positional value, especially when you are general scouting and not related to a team.  I know many times where the Cowboys have had a player(s) ahead of another, despite that player having a higher positional value or being a bigger need for the team going into the draft.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

And that's fair - I don't blame a team taking Caleb over MHJR especially since the top 3 teams need a QB - I also expect Drake to go ahead of him, but I thought a "Big Board" usually didn't reflect positional value, especially when you are general scouting and not related to a team.  I know many times where the Cowboys have had a player(s) ahead of another, despite that player having a higher positional value or being a bigger need for the team going into the draft.

You and I are typically lock-step with our opinions on the draft, and I completely agree with you (yet again) on this one. A Big Board should not reflect positional value and should only reflect the best prospects from top to bottom. So, unless a talent evaluator views Caleb Williams as a surefire can't-miss, potential HOF prospect (which he isn't, for a number of reasons), he shouldn't be rated higher than Marvin Harrison, Jr.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

You and I are typically lock-step with our opinions on the draft, and I completely agree with you (yet again) on this one. A Big Board should not reflect positional value and should only reflect the best prospects from top to bottom. So, unless a talent evaluator views Caleb Williams as a surefire can't-miss, potential HOF prospect (which he isn't, for a number of reasons), he shouldn't be rated higher than Marvin Harrison, Jr.

Would be interesting to see where Andrew Luck would sit compared to MHJR on a non-positional value Big Board.  Didn't many have him as a generational talent, can't miss, potential HOFer when he came out? Enough so that the Colts took him and let Peyton walk

20 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Would be interesting to see where Andrew Luck would sit compared to MHJR on a non-positional value Big Board.  Didn't many have him as a generational talent, can't miss, potential HOFer when he came out? Enough so that the Colts took him and let Peyton walk

I think Luck and Harrison would be neck-and-neck if both came out the same year. Luck was a special, special talent. He was never given an o-line or true weapons in Indy, but he was a generational talent. Caleb Williams? Great arm, but not close to a generational talent, in my opinion. He's a product of a brilliant Lincoln Riley offense, but plays too much back yard football, improvises way too much, takes too many chances, and has maturity issues. If I'm Chicago, I'm furiously looking to move the #1 pick to a team like Washington or New England so I could get additional picks and then Marvin Harrison, Jr.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

Where are we on running backs.  Rhe Landry hat had us taking the ND back which seemed interesting.  My mock landed us Gore Jr. neither seems high on any RB lists I’ve seen. Do we really think both Pollard and Dowdle will be gone.  

I liked the idea of OL Barton though that is probably a reach in first.  And LB Cooper in the second.    For WR I went with FSU Wilson

i though we would get a a better comp pic for Schultz though no 4th round sucks

Edited by quiller

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Where are we on running backs.  Rhe Landry hat had us taking the ND back which seemed interesting.  My mock landed us Gore Jr. neither seems high on any RB lists I’ve seen. Do we really think both Pollard and Dowdle will be gone.  

I liked the idea of OL Barton though that is probably a reach in first.  And LB Cooper in the second.    For WR I went with FSU Wilson

This is a very weak RB class at the top. Most of the guys are 3rd-4th round guys. A few may go in the 2nd, but not many.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

This is a very weak RB class at the top. Most of the guys are 3rd-4th round guys. A few may go in the 2nd, but not many.

Agreed - I could see Brooks going late 2nd.  There are a ton of JAGs that could go 3rd-7th

44 minutes ago, TVScout said:

At RB I want Braelon Allen. We need a big power runner to solve the problems in the red zone.

Allen or Trey Benson are the two RBs I want in this draft.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:50 PM, quiller said:

Will not be surprised if we address RB in FA. Henry, Pollard, Ekeler, Jacobs, and Barkley are all FAs. Plus guys like Moss, JK Dobbins, Swift.

There’s a steal to be had here. And a really weak draft class.