• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

On 4/14/2024 at 10:28 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m curious how everyone ranks the realistic offensive linemen? Assume Alt, Fuaga, Fautanu, Fashanu, Latham are off the board.

Would take at #24

1. Amarius Mims   
2. Graham Barton   
3. Kingsley Suamataia   
4. Jackson Powers-Johnson

Would take after a trade back from #34

5. Zach Frazier   
6. Tuler Guyton
7. Jordan Morgan

At 24…
1. Barton
2. JPJ
3. Mims

Slight trade back…
4. Suamataia
5. Guyton

Mid-30s trade back….
6. Morgan
7. Haynes
8. Frazier

40s trade back…
9. Beebe
10. Paul

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

At 24…
1. Barton
2. JPJ
3. Mims

Slight trade back…
4. Suamataia
5. Guyton

Mid-30s trade back….
6. Morgan
7. Haynes
8. Frazier

40s trade back…
9. Beebe
10. Paul

I’ll have to watch Haynes.

I can’t get on board with Paul. If you get an absolute haul worth trading back that far, I am happy to accept Tyler Smith as our LT of the future. Beebe makes some sense at that point as an immediate starter in the IOL, but no thank you on Paul.

17 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’ll have to watch Haynes.

I can’t get on board with Paul. If you get an absolute haul worth trading back that far, I am happy to accept Tyler Smith as our LT of the future. Beebe makes some sense at that point as an immediate starter in the IOL, but no thank you on Paul.

I find it odd so many people are low on Paul.  The building blocks are in place. 2x team captain, elite size, high RAS, high PFF pass blocking grades, solid run blocking grades, and a low negative play percentage.

I don’t do enough in depth scouting to know what I’m missing, but footwork seems to be the biggest knock and that’s very fixable.

40 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I find it odd so many people are low on Paul.  The building blocks are in place. 2x team captain, elite size, high RAS, high PFF pass blocking grades, solid run blocking grades, and a low negative play percentage.

I don’t do enough in depth scouting to know what I’m missing, but footwork seems to be the biggest knock and that’s very fixable.

I think experience is not an asset, when the player still looks like he’s very inexperienced. Upright player, not great ability to contain his momentum, sloppy footwork that I worry is a result of lateral agility issues.

He can still develop, but if you throw him out there on day 1, I think he’s likely to get smoked by most good edge rushers. Honestly think we’re better off moving Tyler to LT at that point and figuring out the interior instead.

On 4/16/2024 at 5:12 PM, textaz03 said:

Cowboys scouting intern Josh Brent and Lions assistant DL coach Cameron Davis led the workout of Jer’Zhan Newton at his pro day today according to @mrwagner25

https://x.com/billym_91/status/1780352645359710488?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

I had no idea Josh Brent was still a member of the Cowboys organization 😳

It’s not 

2012-12-8-josh-brent-new-16_9.jpg?width=

is it? What an epic comeback 

23 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Low level of competition. He looked terrible in the senior bowl. 

On 4/13/2024 at 1:50 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Which of these players would you abandon your draft plans for at #24? Assumptions, no trade back options, and no surprise OL available.

Brock Bowers   
Quinyon Mitchell   
Terrion Arnold   
Byron Murphy   
Dallas Turner   
Brian Thomas Jr.

The more I watch, I think I’m definitely in on Byron Murphy. What a freak.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:59 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It seems we definitely haven’t talked enough about Trevon Wallace. Brugler has him as LB3. Cowboys 30 visit.

I’ve not watched him yet, but that’s all I need to know he’s an option at #56.

Update: he’s good. Obviously this is the high end of his potential outcomes, but lots of young Bobby Wagner vibes. I like him a lot.

Because of all the links to J. Brooks out of Texas, and it looking more and more likely he becomes a strong consideration for Dallas as early as the 24th pick (I damn sure hope not, but crazier has happened), and a likely sprint to the podium in round 2...I wanted to dig up the few notes I initially had on Brooks and study him harder today. And then share what I see with you guys, so you don't all jump off a bridge if he is a round 1 pick (hopefully after a trade back if so) or does somehow last until their second round pick.

Comparisons: Todd Gurley, Breece Hall, JK Dobbins. And a deeper throwback for fun, Ahmad Bradshaw

First thing to note is his start/stop ability. He can stop on a dime, hit his top gear, stop again, plant his foot and change direction all with exceptional quickness and ability. 

He uses this start/stop/change of direction quickness to both allow blockers to get in position when at the second and third level as well as to make defenders miss. And make them miss he certainly does. He is not easy to get a hold of.

Which plays to one of his bigger weaknesses in a lack of physicality and breaking tackles. In all the carries I watched - and I've honestly watched them all at least once today - I could count on one hand the amount of times he used physical play to break a tackle. Breaking tackles and physically pushing piles is not his forte; he could certainly improve here with time in a pro weight room and a pro s&c coach working with him, and his frame seems suitable for adding more lower body strength. 

But overall he doesn't need to be physical and break tackles to be effective. His start/stop ability and quickness in shifting directions allows him to more readily evade defenders, out run defenders, and get himself into angles that makes it impossible for a defender to grab him. So while the lack of physical play is a weakness, it isn't an outright detriment because of how good he is at evading the need to be physical. 

When a defender does get a hand on him but isn't in a good position to wrap up or make a solid tackle, OR when a defender gets a pop on him at a poor angle, he shows fairly good contact balance to stay upright. I wouldn't call contact balance a strength or a weakness to his game. It's more on an average par for a pro runner. But again, considering how good he is at evading the contact and taking angles that make it tough to tackle him, the level of contact balance he does possess is more than enough to be effective.

He shows great patience when in the second and third levels, allowing blockers to get in position and utilizes that excellent start/stop/cut ability to allow the next level blocks to take shape and accelerate into daylight as it plays out. This patience also carries over to his behind the line play, showing the patience and vision needed to allow the play to develop and make better use of the holes created. 

There were a few carries where I wondered what he saw that made him slow down as if waiting for a block to take shape or a hole to form, when from my point of view, you could see that hole was not going to come where he seemed to wait for it. That doesn't mean he didn't see something that dictated him showing the patience he did, but anticipating something that doesn't come did result in a few too many negative plays for my liking. Sometimes you just have to force the issue when it doesn't develop fast enough, and his lack of physicality and preference for evasion prevents him from outright forcing that issue.

But this too, overall, plays right into another strength of his - cutting out wide when the inside stacks and the hole doesn't develop. Rather than being physical and forcing it for a shorter gain but still at least positive yardage, he makes use of that outstanding stop/start/cut ability to bounce outside of the stacked box, get to a wider, outside the tackle angle that puts him an advantageous angle in terms of making it tougher on a linebacker to get him in time, and hits his top gear quickly to turn a stacked, stuffed and unopened box into a good chance for a tremendous gain. 

He gets on the safeties quickly when coming up the middle. When his patience pays off and the line gets him a good lane past the second level, Brooks is on the safeties in a heart beat. I don't know what his 40 time would have been. And honestly, for guys like Brooks, it doesn't matter. It isn't his straight line speed that makes him good. It's how quickly he stops and starts again at an angle that gives him an advantage. That being said, he is definitely fast - because watching how quickly he gets from linebacker level to safeties level is exceptional. And once he is at that safety level, once more his start-stop-cut ability makes him a very tough guy to defend in the open field. 

It's his open field ability that also makes him effective as a pass catcher. I can't say for certainty what his hands really are. As most of his receptions were easy, simple to catch stuff on screens and other blitz beaters out of the backfield. Little dump off stuff that doesn't require a whole lot of route running and receiver skills. But he's proven he is able to catch those dump offs and blitz beater routes out of the backfield when called upon, and because he is so good in the open field, he can turn those simple and easy catches into consistent, solid gains.

What makes this kid potentially special is that he can be a consistent chain mover but ALSO possesses the key traits of someone able to turn simple run designs into big gains with regularity. The comparisons I made are more in the running style than in talent or potential, because I really believe he has the ability to be better than any of those guys are or were. And by a very wide margin. But in the style in which he plays, I think the comps work.

I absolutely grade him as a first round talent, just at a position that isn't so much a first round grade position so often anymore,outside of those generation making players. And I wouldn't say Brooks is a generation making kind of player...and if he was, there wouldn't be talk of him maybe being there at 54, but rather likely a top 10 selection. That doesn't mean he doesn't develop into a generational talent though - his gifts are pretty special. And with some muscle put onto his frame, some experience in putting together his vision with game speed awareness and game speed knowledge of how the defense is going to unfold, this kid could absolutely become very special.

....still not OK with him anywhere between 24 and 32. But with a trade back, and with specific situations that perhaps unravel as Dallas waits for their turn...I could see it working out for them if they went that route. Still wouldn't be thrilled. But I'd understand it.

The kid really can be special. Let's not all go crazy if the crazy happens.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:04 AM, DaBoys said:

It’s not 

2012-12-8-josh-brent-new-16_9.jpg?width=

is it? What an epic comeback 

Note the word intern...

Most interns are not paid employees, but volunteering their time just to get experience down on their resume. 

But Jerry's been really good with former players, especially guys who couldn't really cut it but had the heart and passion. A lot of scouts, current and past, have been failed late round picks and UDFAs. 

Anyway, if he was tapped to follow Cameron Davis on that visit, Id say they think pretty good things about the work ethic he's displayed and the work he's done to this very early point in his internship. If he keeps it up he could find himself as an actual, paid and employed scout. Here or elsewhere.