Week 3: San Francisco 49ers vs New York Giants

J-ALL-DAY

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

With this being a short week and the Niners being the much better team, I'm guessing Mitchell ends up getting around 12-15 carries. Maybe more if it is a blowout by halftime. 

There really is no reason not to get Mitchell touches every game. CMC is not THAT much better of a pure runner than Mitchell. It's his ability to do everything else that sets him apart but Mitchell can run the crap out of the ball. 

If its a blow out, yeah, I'll assume that Mitchell and Mason combine for a quite a few carries. I'll assume that this is going to be a neutral game plan and player rotation right now though, so at least 8 is what I'll expect if this game is like 27-21 type. That said, given the Giants health issues if this isn't a comfortable win where we can move some other guys into the rotation, I'll be disappointed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Oh boy. Bredeson has been their best pass blocker on the O-line. If Thomas and Bredeson don't play, their O-line will be horrendous. 

49ers DL need to feast. Close to a layup as you'll see in the NFL. No excuses not to dominate :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

if we dont win going away it's gonna be a disappointment. 

but TNF games are weird sometimes. 

TNF games are weird all the time.   Anything can happen Thursdays.  If the team can win and avoid injuries, I will be happy.

Brock is generally good against the blitz, so it will be fun to see a defense try to beat us a different way.  Nobody has tried to blitz his face off since he first came into the game against the Dolphins.

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

49ers DL need to feast. Close to a layup as you'll see in the NFL. No excuses not to dominate :)

I honestly wouldn't expect a ton of sacks tonight. I think the Giants will, from the jump, go with a quick pass game and a lot of screens to mitigate our pass rush. They don't have the bodies to hold up in pass protection, so I don't anticipate a lot of deep stuff either. 

Jones is going to throw the ball 35+ times but it's going to be a ton of short stuff. Warner, Greenlaw, and Huf are going to end up with 10+ tackles because everything is going to be in front of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I honestly wouldn't expect a ton of sacks tonight. I think the Giants will, from the jump, go with a quick pass game and a lot of screens to mitigate our pass rush. They don't have the bodies to hold up in pass protection, so I don't anticipate a lot of deep stuff either. 

Jones is going to throw the ball 35+ times but it's going to be a ton of short stuff. Warner, Greenlaw, and Huf are going to end up with 10+ tackles because everything is going to be in front of them.

I mean is Jones really a quick passing game type of QB? At least with Daboll, his average time to throw has consistently been around 3. 

The best way to generate sacks this game is going to be to jump on the Giants from the start. Get out to a 14 point lead and the sacks will pile up. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean is Jones really a quick passing game type of QB? At least with Daboll, his average time to throw has consistently been around 3. 

The best way to generate sacks this game is going to be to jump on the Giants from the start. Get out to a 14 point lead and the sacks will pile up. 

We say that every time we play a team with a practice-squad level OL and it never happens. I hope it does, but it hasn't yet. I still think we win and our defense is suffocating, but I don't think we'll put up 4+ sacks tonight.

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

We say that every time we play a team with a practice-squad level OL and it never happens. I hope it does, but it hasn't yet. I still think we win and our defense is suffocating, but I don't think we'll put up 4+ sacks tonight.

I mean what am I saying that never happens? I just commented that Jones with Daboll has NOT been a quick passing QB and if we can get off to a big lead, then the sacks will come. What part of my post do you disagree with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean what am I saying that never happens? I just commented that Jones with Daboll has NOT been a quick passing QB and if we can get off to a big lead, then the sacks will come. What part of my post do you disagree with?

There have been games over the past couple of years where the opponent is on their PS LT or third-string RT and everyone was predicting Bosa getting 3 or 4 sacks but then the opposing game plan negated all of that because of quick passing plays. There was a Packers game like that and Rams from a year or two ago. 

I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to temper my expectations for getting to the QB and taking him down at a high rate. I do think we pressure Jones at a very high rate and make things very uncomfortable.

Edited by NinerNation21

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

There have been games over the past couple of years where the opponent is on their PS LT or third-string RT and everyone was predicting Bosa getting 3 or 4 sacks but then the opposing game plan negated all of that because of quick passing plays. There was a Packers game like that and Rams from a year or two ago. 

I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to temper my expectations for getting to the QB and taking him down at a high rate. I do think we pressure Jones at a very high rate and make things very uncomfortable.

But I never said Bosa will get 3 sacks or how many sacks the defense will get. All I'm saying is that Jones has not been implementing the quick passing game with Daboll. That has not been the Giants offense. And if we get out to a quick start and the Giants have their typical passing game? Then the sacks will come. 

• Like 1

Also - what is the deal with a lot of niners content creators posting emojis like: 🤔 or 🤨 ? Is something about to happen?? Really freaking annoying. Just like yesterday a lot of people kept saying "if what I am hearing about the bears DC is true, he will never coach again, but I am not going to say what it is" JFC lol 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

Also - what is the deal with a lot of niners content creators posting emojis like: 🤔 or 🤨 ? Is something about to happen?? Really freaking annoying. Just like yesterday a lot of people kept saying "if what I am hearing about the bears DC is true, he will never coach again, but I am not going to say what it is" JFC lol 

Dude. I hate the stupid eyeballs emojis. Super annoying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've decided that it would be cool if we won this game

Indeed.  Going in, everything looks to line up well for the 9ers.  Daniel Jones is not a master of the quick passing game, and I can't imagine one of their targets suddenly carving up the zone like Jason Witten or Cooper Kupp.  

That being said, Thursday game get weird.  Teams come out off tempo and sluggish sometimes.  The refs like to get their national TV time in, and throw flags like they are warming up in the bullpen.  I don't like Thursday games.

I'll be happy if the team gets a win and is healthy.  I don't care about it being a blow out or racking up the sacks, although those two things would be cool.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2