Week 3: VIKINGS (0-2) vs Chargers (0-2)

swede700

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

that is in no way fundamental football. And Rhodes couldn't catch - he wasn't batting the football down lol.

Creating turnovers when you have the opportunity, especially when you are losing, is fundamental football.

His stats (PD) seem to indicate otherwise. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RhodXa00.htm

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i didn't watch the game, just followed the box score and play by play.

why were you guys so critical of Mattison, what wasn't he doing correctly? why did someone say "even though he didn't fumble on that play, he should still be benched?"

The ball squirted out a couple of times. Pretty serious ball security issues, even when he's holding it with both arms.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Agreed that Ivan Pace is a beast, but its concerning  to me that Asamoah couldn't get a snap in, even on a rotational basis. Did Pace and Hicks play every snap? That would make sense then if they did.

Hicks played every snap, while Pace only played 41 (out of 66)...but it also depends upon the formations they were playing in...if there was a lot of nickel, then there would often only be 1 ILB on the field (which would be Hicks).  And that is likely confirmed with Bynum playing every snap and Metellus/Smith playing 63.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

If I’m optimistic, KO does some self reflection and figures out his third down, red zone, and short yardage issues, Bradbury comes back ready to go, Risner plays over Ed Ingram, and Akers looks like he did at the end of last year.

thats a lot to ask, but this team is winless, but also SHOULD be undefeated. Just like they SHOULD have had a losing record last year. Football is a weird, fluky game.

theres still a path to the playoffs because this division stinks, but I’m mostly interested in seeing O’Connell grow as a coach the rest of the way. Needing a new QB is one thing, but needing better coaching and a QB is not good.

I was optimistic he'd look at how bad throwing long on third and short was last year, and change this year....but I'm not right now. I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

There are some good things (Royce, who's now injured...again)

But how much was it a drastic turnaround compared to having the easiest 2nd half schedule in baseball? Average win percentage of the Twins 2nd half schedule was .466. Second lowest was .472.

I'm not sold on this team one bit nor do I think they'll make any type of splash. Too much inconsistency at the plate. One day they look like the best team in baseball, the next they look like the Royals, the next they look like a .500 team.

they're .500 against teams with a winning record.....so that's actually pretty good. They have a great SP staff.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

and that's why stats don't tell the whole story. I can very clearly remember long discussions on this site about how bad his ball skills were and that he dropped INTs. those count as PDs.

Sure. You can add context to those stats.

In 2015, on the last play of the season against Green Bay, fighting for the NFCN title in Lambeau, Aaron Rodgers heaves a desperate Hail Mary attempt to win the game.

Instead of going for the pick, Rhodes, and Barr knock the ball down and sealed the game for us. Fundamentals.

--

I think if you look at as a calculated risk, it makes more sense. If the bat down ends the drive, going for the interception may not be necessary. This scenario is situation-dependent, of course. Perhaps going for the pick is important, especially if you're trying to mount a comeback in a hurry. Both situations are sticking to fundamentals here.

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sure. You can add context to those stats.

In 2015, on the last play of the season against Green Bay, fighting for the NFCN title in Lambeau, Aaron Rodgers heaves a desperate Hail Mary attempt to win the game.

Instead of going for the pick, Rhodes, and Barr knock the ball down and sealed the game for us. Fundamentals.

yes, that's what you do on the last play of the game, you knock the ball down. because there is no gain in intercepting it, and in attempting perhaps create a penalty and another free play at the one yard line. that's fundamental situational awareness.

but in the Charger game, it was not a last play, Hail Mary situation.

you went back 7 years to try and find substantiating evidence for how you see things, and still couldn't find it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yes, that's what you do on the last play of the game, you knock the ball down. because there is no gain in intercepting it, and in attempting perhaps create a penalty and another free play at the one yard line. that's fundamental situational awareness.

but in the Charger game, it was not a last play, Hail Mary situation.

you went back 7 years to try and find substantiating evidence for how you see things, and still couldn't find it.

Ha! it happened in week 2 where Washington didn't knock the ball down and Denver scored on the play. It didn't matter because they failed on the 2pt conversion though.

But like I said, its all a calculated risk.

Palmer had 2 yards of separation on Evans on that play, and Evans had to dive to try and make a spectacular play, but it didn't work out. Hindsight is 20/20 but when you're beat, you knock the ball down.