2018 off-season

elfman1955

20 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Hopefully Dorsey doesnt feel that he shouldnt trade down just so he can be opposite of Sashi in order to appease fans.

Say the texans get us pick 3.  Someone mentioned both buffalos firsts this year and their 2019 first???  Yes please.  Cant see them doing that though, let alone add to it.

I completely agree re: Dorsey not trading down just because of Sashi and his preferences.

Id hate to see us pass on a slew of picks that could benefit us for another couple years just to show "we're gonna win now dammit!!"

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

Are you guys joking or serious?

I am serious.

Dorsey has a mandate to solve the QB position.

The easiest way to do that is overpay for a stop-gap veteran like Cousins.

It is not to take the top-rated QB w/pick #1.

He knows also that the team must start winning.

I suspect that he will sign (for too much) "real football players" as in veterans since draft picks are no more than a crap shoot.

And that we will use our top picks on position players who likely can contribute immediately.

Add it all up and before you know it we are in cap hell and, if the vets he gets and picks he makes are not impact players, we are headed to NFL purgatory/mediocracy.

42 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

CB-Trumaine Iohnson 

WR- Jarvis Laundry 

QB - Darnold

Giants pick 4th we pick 3rd. Rosen makes it to 3 

Giants get 3rd and our 2nd 

Browns get Giants 1st and Odel Beckham JR 

Talk about transitioning our WR corps in short order.

An area that was a dearth of talent quickly becomes one of the best group in the league.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

I am serious.

Dorsey has a mandate to solve the QB position.

The easiest way to do that is overpay for a stop-gap veteran like Cousins.

It is not to take the top-rated QB w/pick #1.

He knows also that the team must start winning.

I suspect that he will sign (for too much) "real football players" as in veterans since draft picks are no more than a crap shoot.

And that we will use our top picks on position players who likely can contribute immediately.

Add it all up and before you know it we are in cap hell and, if the vets he gets and picks he makes are not impact players, we are headed to NFL purgatory/mediocracy.

We are absurdly under the cap. It does no benefit. The NFL cap is the most flexible in any major sport. Unless you are being wildly irresponsible and stupid in free agency there is no fear of cap problems. Especially considering the lack of talent on this team worthy of big time deals any time soon.

Unless we got absolutely HAM, and offer many outrageous deals with lots of locked in money, there is nothing to be concerned about. This isn't the NBA where you get locked up with your roster because of cap issues. This isn't the MLB where you get stuck with a useless player who you owe $125M to. This is the NFL. Even the absolute all time worst FA deals, like Haynesworth, aren't that big of a set back, unless you combine them with several other terrible deals at well. And at the absolute worst it might ruin one free agency period while you clean up your books. Thats absolute worst case scenario, and it requires a LOT of things to go wrong and lots of stupid decisions to compound.

Sashi Brown got us brainwashed into thinking having a pathetic roster and $60m of cap space is a good thing, because spending that money now would cost us a make believe super bowl in the future, when in reality all it did was lead to back to back 1-15ish seasons.

35 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

We are absurdly under the cap. It does no benefit. The NFL cap is the most flexible in any major sport. Unless you are being wildly irresponsible and stupid in free agency there is no fear of cap problems. Especially considering the lack of talent on this team worthy of big time deals any time soon.

Unless we got absolutely HAM, and offer many outrageous deals with lots of locked in money, there is nothing to be concerned about. This isn't the NBA where you get locked up with your roster because of cap issues. This isn't the MLB where you get stuck with a useless player who you owe $125M to. This is the NFL. Even the absolute all time worst FA deals, like Haynesworth, aren't that big of a set back, unless you combine them with several other terrible deals at well. And at the absolute worst it might ruin one free agency period while you clean up your books. Thats absolute worst case scenario, and it requires a LOT of things to go wrong and lots of stupid decisions to compound.

Sashi Brown got us brainwashed into thinking having a pathetic roster and $60m of cap space is a good thing, because spending that money now would cost us a make believe super bowl in the future, when in reality all it did was lead to back to back 1-15ish seasons.

Sashi mad Bitonio the highest paid guard in the NFL and then did it again with Zeitler.  Collins was also one of the highest paid at his position. Kirksey was locked up too. Made the best offer for Pryor and Tony Jefferson too, they just chose to play elsewhere.

Sashi wasn't afraid to spend money, he just wasn't about to throw money around on mediocre, overpaid vets if he could avoid it.

He also used that cap space to bring in a vet qb with a 2nd rounder attached to him.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sashi mad Bitonio the highest paid guard in the NFL and then did it again with Zeitler.  Collins was also one of the highest paid at his position. Kirksey was locked up too. Made the best offer for Pryor and Tony Jefferson too, they just chose to play elsewhere.

Sashi wasn't afraid to spend money, he just wasn't about to throw money around on mediocre, overpaid vets if he could avoid it.

He also used that cap space to bring in a vet qb with a 2nd rounder attached to him.

Based on everything I have read, with his step on his dish statements so far, I do not think that Dorsey has a fraction of Sashi's intelligence.

More Cro-Magnon NFL lifer.

Do not see any of this ending well even though most of us could bring Sashi's vision home.

24 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Based on everything I have read, with his step on his dish statements so far, I do not think that Dorsey has a fraction of Sashi's intelligence.

More Cro-Magnon NFL lifer.

Do not see any of this ending well even though most of us could bring Sashi's vision home.

Couldn't agree more.

For some reason some folks view having a degree from Harvard and being intelligent as a bad thing.

I'll take the highly intelligent dude every time over some old dude who believes in antiquated nonsense.

13 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I will take the dude that can find us a qb for the next ten years...it wasnt sashi the last two years...with dorsey.....we are about to find out

Dorsey will try to cover his rear and overpay Cousins or, if Hueball somehow still is here, McCarron.

He strikes me as a guy that makes decisions to protect himself.

16 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Dorsey strikes me as a guy that makes decisions to protect himself.

In that case, it will at least be interesting seeing Dorsey and Hue as self-preservationists, shifting the blame back and forth between each other like a behind-the-scenes seesaw.

This system is bound to work. Two alpha personality self preservationists reporting to the same boss. And a boss that doesn’t mind slamming his fist on the table and putting executive power into place, nullifying what subordinates wish to do regardless. I’d pay good money to be a fly on the wall in that war room.

Archived