2018 off-season

elfman1955

7 hours ago, bruceb said:

Dorsey will try to cover his rear and overpay Cousins or, if Hueball somehow still is here, McCarron.

He strikes me as a guy that makes decisions to protect himself.

Time has shown, that drafting a QB #1 overall, gives most GM's a 3 year window to produce a winner as that QB improves, or possibly 2 years as is the case with Wentz and Goff.

Bringing in Cousins is actually far more job dangerous for Dorsey, as he will then be expected to produce a winner immediately.

Considering, he is stuck with Hue for at least one season before he is given an opportunity to hire his own HC and Haslem's record of turning over FO's every 2 years, drafting a QB #1 overall, offers him far more job security than signing Cousins.

As for our cap situation, I suspect Dorsey will look at Haslem's track record for FO's and pay out serious money to aging FA's in hope that Haslem will see some results while our rookie QB develops and perhaps give himself an extra year to rebuild, so cap hell is not out of the question, if Haslem allows Dorsey to have a huge budget, remember, the owner sets the budget not the GM.

Haslem has already set in motion what course of action Dorsey is likely to take, by firing his FO every 2 years. Dorsey has to know he is on a short leash with Haslem and being stuck with Hue doesn't give him a lot of flexibility to accomplish a whole lot in 2 years, unless he brings in a sh-t load of FA's and drafts a QB #1 overall and you can bet, that he will have to overpay the FA's by a lot of money to convince FA's to come to Cleveland.

All I see is another possible , unbelievable, total mess coming out of our situation, as Dorsey is simply stuck between a rock and a hard place with little room for thought!!!                                                                                                                                                       

Jimmy Haslam is an idiot for giving up on Sashi so quickly. John Dorsey is a idiot for even taking this job and Hue Jackson is just plain an idiot. 

I no longer have high hopes for us to sustain any kind of success. Like already mentioned Dorsey is going to have to spend big on aging vet to get wins built up in a hurry so Haslam doesn't fire him. We might have a nice run of 2-3 years at 7-9 to 10-6 and then we are cap strapped and have to watch what young talent we did acquire in the draft walk out in free agency for real contenders.  And we have  roster that looks like;

Ross Verba
Barry Stokes
Dave Wohlabaugh
Greg Spires
Orpheuos Roye
Corey Fuller
Robert Griffith
Devin Bush
Earl Holmes
Chris Gardocki
Earl Little

All 29 years or older and completely peaked out at 9-7. Even if the 2018-2021 versions of Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown and William Green pan out better than this version of bust we are still looking at a very mediocre team at best and I have believed that was Jimmy Haslam's goal from day 1. He has never cared about building a true winner in Cleveland. He only views the Browns as a cash cow and he knows if he can keep them average to slightly above then he will get his ticket and merchandise sales. It is the very reason why he threw scouting and caution out the window when he overruled to draft Johnny Manziel. He knew he would make a killing on jersey sales and maybe get them to a respectable win total. He is more concerned with being relevant enough in the now than he is about winning championships.

12 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Jimmy Haslam is an idiot for giving up on Sashi so quickly. John Dorsey is a idiot for even taking this job and Hue Jackson is just plain an idiot. 

I no longer have high hopes for us to sustain any kind of success. Like already mentioned Dorsey is going to have to spend big on aging vet to get wins built up in a hurry so Haslam doesn't fire him. We might have a nice run of 2-3 years at 7-9 to 10-6 and then we are cap strapped and have to watch what young talent we did acquire in the draft walk out in free agency for real contenders.  And we have  roster that looks like;

Ross Verba
Barry Stokes
Dave Wohlabaugh
Greg Spires
Orpheuos Roye
Corey Fuller
Robert Griffith
Devin Bush
Earl Holmes
Chris Gardocki
Earl Little

All 29 years or older and completely peaked out at 9-7. Even if the 2018-2021 versions of Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown and William Green pan out better than this version of bust we are still looking at a very mediocre team at best and I have believed that was Jimmy Haslam's goal from day 1. He has never cared about building a true winner in Cleveland. He only views the Browns as a cash cow and he knows if he can keep them average to slightly above then he will get his ticket and merchandise sales. It is the very reason why he threw scouting and caution out the window when he overruled to draft Johnny Manziel. He knew he would make a killing on jersey sales and maybe get them to a respectable win total. He is more concerned with being relevant enough in the now than he is about winning championships.

I'll take a couple cash strapped years of 10-6 and thank John Dorsey.

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

You guys got a good GM ... i think if I'm the GM you invest on the OL and build it first than draft a qb and focus on the D probably later .

build the Ol and you'll develop your qb well 

Invest in the OL?

We have the two highest paid guards in the league, a HOF LT, and capable RT and C.

We need skill players.

I am not sure why many believe that Hue will be back next year?  Is it because Jimmy said so?  We know his word is garbage, therefore,  what I believe will happen this off-seasons is:

1.  Hue and entire staff will be fired.

2.  Dorsey picks his own HC

3.  Dorsey more than likely drafts a QB 1 overall,  rather than sign Cousins (although that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen)

4.  Dorsey is forever tied to the HC he picks, and the QB he picks.....sink or swim

While I understand where the thought comes in that he will sign a bunch of FA's and put us in salary cap hell....we are so far under, and according to most on this site, not many pieces away from competing. 

and yes....sign me up for some 8-10 win seasons

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Time has shown, that drafting a QB #1 overall, gives most GM's a 3 year window to produce a winner as that QB improves, or possibly 2 years as is the case with Wentz and Goff.

In that case, make it 1 year given who our owner is.

I know this won't be popular but I'd give our 2nd first and a 2nd for Tomlin. I know It wouldn't happen but we need someone who can galvanize our lockerroom. These guys don't respect hue nor the organization and I've been saying this for the past 4 years. When Tomlin says something, it means something, it moves the needle and then veterans echo his same sentiments, he won't baby Garrett and let him keep jumping offsides or WRs keep dropping passes like that. This alone goes further than just acquiring talent. Talent is just talent until you have someone tho make them work to become greater.

12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I know this won't be popular but I'd give our 2nd first and a 2nd for Tomlin. I know It wouldn't happen but we need someone who can galvanize our lockerroom. These guys don't respect hue nor the organization and I've been saying this for the past 4 years. When Tomlin says something, it means something, it moves the needle and then veterans echo his same sentiments, he won't baby Garrett and let him keep jumping offsides or WRs keep dropping passes like that. This alone goes further than just acquiring talent. Talent is just talent until you have someone tho make them work to become greater.

Yeah that should be unpopular. They have locker room issues. They win, which is good but their players complain about coaching/each other a heck of a lot more than ours have the last couple years. He is certainly a lot better coach than Hue but we could get a better one in a trade if we give up a top 5 pick and a 2nd. They would probably reanimate Paul Brown for that price.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah that should be unpopular. They have locker room issues. They win, which is good but their players complain about coaching/each other a heck of a lot more than ours have the last couple years. He is certainly a lot better coach than Hue but we could get a better one in a trade if we give up a top 5 pick and a 2nd. They would probably reanimate Paul Brown for that price.

Natural when you have a lockerrom full of bad dudes, look at Seattle that thing is coming unraveled. People complain all the time,he keeps them together, motivated and focused on winning which is the most important. I have zero issue with being unpopular due to unconventional thinking....

15 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I'll take a couple cash strapped years of 10-6 and thank John Dorsey.

Rod Johnson would be satisfied with a job half finished and I think 10-6 would be the absolute peak. I can very easily see us stuck in mediocrity for years in that good but not good enough group. The stupid jokes will go away and the constant overturn will go away and maybe even free agents and draft prospect will even stop trying to avoid us like the plague, but we will still ultimately be nothing. Heck I don't even want to settle for a Cincinnati Bengals type run where they were a playoff team 4-5 years in a row. They still never won one of those games and were never really a threat to win one let alone go far.

Archived