The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Also, do we need another 6’ 170 pound WR? 

That size screams the Emmanuel Forbes of WRs to me.

It screams “the Jahan Dotson of WRs” to me, which is the real issue. 

Once Samuel is gone, we will have exactly zero receivers who play with any force or impose any strength, either after the catch or at the catch point (except perhaps Terry on balls in the air). Frankly, that includes the TEs as well. We mostly have guys who catch the ball (if they’re open) and then fall down as soon as the defense gets to them.

Contested catch ability is not something I traditionally cherish in a WR, but once we draft Maye, we’re going to have a quarterback (or two quarterbacks, if Sam is still here) who is willing and able to throw some tight-window balls. He doesn’t have the precision, at this moment, of a Brees or a Brady — so we’re going to need a little catch radius and some ability to make plays on balls that aren’t quite as clean. I think that requires a bigger body and a willingness to secure the ball through contact/contest.

The YAC stuff is just a bonus, but neither of our top WRs does a ton with that, nor do our TEs. Would be neat to see a guy who can break NFL tackles and turn a mostly-covered throw into a bigger gain.

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I can't believe there's people who genuinely think Jayden Daniels is actually 210lbs. I get that's his listed weight but Stroud is apparently 218. Now look at Stroud and look at Daniels and tell me they look remotely the same in build lol. Daniels looks like Forbes. 

Ran across this and had to add it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It screams “the Jahan Dotson of WRs” to me, which is the real issue. 

Once Samuel is gone, we will have exactly zero receivers who play with any force or impose any strength, either after the catch or at the catch point (except perhaps Terry on balls in the air). Frankly, that includes the TEs as well. We mostly have guys who catch the ball (if they’re open) and then fall down as soon as the defense gets to them.

Contested catch ability is not something I traditionally cherish in a WR, but once we draft Maye, we’re going to have a quarterback (or two quarterbacks, if Sam is still here) who is willing and able to throw some tight-window balls. He doesn’t have the precision, at this moment, of a Brees or a Brady — so we’re going to need a little catch radius and some ability to make plays on balls that aren’t quite as clean. I think that requires a bigger body and a willingness to secure the ball through contact/contest.

The YAC stuff is just a bonus, but neither of our top WRs does a ton with that, nor do our TEs. Would be neat to see a guy who can break NFL tackles and turn a mostly-covered throw into a bigger gain.

Just go get Tee Higgins. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Ran across this and had to add it.

It’s that ridiculous jump he does when he’s anticipating contact. It’s excruciating to watch. He gets himself killed. I watched every one of those hits in the flow of the game film, not knowing they were coming, and every single time I just let loose a spontaneous “oooof” because it looks like he’s going to be crippled. 

To his credit, no major injuries yet. But he had to leave games on multiple occasions this year due to bone-rattling hits, which means it’s still a big concern for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It’s that ridiculous jump he does when he’s anticipating contact. It’s excruciating to watch. He gets himself killed. I watched every one of those hits in the flow of the game film, not knowing they were coming, and every single time I just let loose a spontaneous “oooof” because it looks like he’s going to be crippled. 

To his credit, no major injuries yet. But he had to leave games on multiple occasions this year due to bone-rattling hits, which means it’s still a big concern for me.

He’s too frail and doesn’t slide. He was clocked at 4.5 in the forty at ASU from everything I can find so I don’t think he’s just going to run away from defenders at the next level either. I think he has a ton of talent and he’s a disaster waiting to happen. I watched his highlights today and immediately thought of Merton Hanks when I saw his neck lol.

I also don’t buy the whole “he can put on muscle in an NFL weight program” crap. He’s going to LSU. They probably have better facilities and nutritionists than we do lol. I think this is one of those situations where people have become bored with Maye because he’s not juking defenders and running 60 yard TDs like Daniels. They’ve become enamored with his playmaking ability and are overlooking the obvious issues he’s going to face at the next level.

Not to mention the awful “well Joe Burrow did it” comparisons when you bring up his own great year. Joe Burrow didn’t start until he got to LSU and only started for two seasons. Going into Burrows monster season he had like 13 starts total. This was Daniels 5th year starting. He had 40+ starts of film out there going into this season. This jump is so incredibly improbable that the only one that even compares is Kenny Pickett which I’ve made the comparison multiple times now and heard EB of the junkies make it yesterday or this morning I think it was so others are starting to realize it as well. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s too frail and doesn’t slide. He was clocked at 4.5 in the forty at ASU from everything I can find so I don’t think he’s just going to run away from defenders at the next level either. I think he has a ton of talent and he’s a disaster waiting to happen. I watched his highlights today and immediately thought of Merton Hanks when I saw his neck lol.

I also don’t buy the whole “he can put on muscle in an NFL weight program” crap. He’s going to LSU. They probably have better facilities and nutritionists than we do lol. I think this is one of those situations where people have become bored with Maye because he’s not juking defenders and running 60 yard TDs like Daniels. They’ve become enamored with his playmaking ability and are overlooking the obvious issues he’s going to face at the next level.

Not to mention the awful “well Joe Burrow did it” comparisons when you bring up his own great year. Joe Burrow didn’t start until he got to LSU and only started for two seasons. Going into Burrows monster season he had like 13 starts total. This was Daniels 5th year starting. He had 40+ starts of film out there going into this season. This jump is so incredibly improbable that the only one that even compares is Kenny Pickett which I’ve made the comparison multiple times now and heard EB of the junkies make it yesterday or this morning I think it was so others are starting to realize it as well. 

Merton Hanks vs Mike Glennon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, again I like JD, but not over the other two. Other than that the draft overall is good, except I don't know anything out PSU's other DE so I can't overly comment on it. 

He's a good prospect. Probably going in the 2nd somewhere, not sure we should take him that high but I wouldn't consider it a bad pick. He had 9 sacks for PSU last year.

He's a speedy pass rusher but more of a finnese guy, not strong at the point of attack, doesn't have great length but has speed. He's projected to run a 4.60 forty at 6’4, 255 pounds which is good speed for that size.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

All I think about is RG3 when I watch Daniels play and how he refuses to slide or take care of himself. He's reckless when running as you're pointing out. I don't need a QB proving he's the toughest guy on the field, I need a QB to be the smartest player on the field and to try to stay healthy for the entire season.

Grant Paulsen 

Longtime NFL scout and exec Marc Ross on #UNC’s Drake Maye:

“A little up and down at Carolina. Overall there’s a little something that’s missing.” Compared him to Trevor Lawrence. “He looks the part, throws the part but when things get hectic he doesn’t raise his level of play.”

Draft expert Dane Brugler on what Jayden Daniels needs to improve:

“Daniels’ processing has improved, but he will still leave his reads too quickly. He has a very good understanding of where to go with the football – a lot of times it’s the first read, and while he can do full-field reads, sometimes he leaves them too quickly.”

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen 

Longtime NFL scout and exec Marc Ross on #UNC’s Drake Maye:

“A little up and down at Carolina. Overall there’s a little something that’s missing.” Compared him to Trevor Lawrence. “He looks the part, throws the part but when things get hectic he doesn’t raise his level of play.”

Draft expert Dane Brugler on what Jayden Daniels needs to improve:

“Daniels’ processing has improved, but he will still leave his reads too quickly. He has a very good understanding of where to go with the football – a lot of times it’s the first read, and while he can do full-field reads, sometimes he leaves them too quickly.”

Trevor and Daniel Jones are great comps!! It’s not that you can’t see magic. It’s just that it’s exactly what he’s saying. Like eventually you have to be able to make the throw through pressure and in big moments and make something out of nothing and I’m just completely with it. And I agree about his Daniels take as well because that is a hard thing for runners. You do see him go through progression but he naturally instinctually his clock to bail or run is always ticking as he’s processing. He does take shots he is smaller and that’s what worries me. If three QB’s go with the first 3 picks if really wish we weren’t in that area picking.

Now what I will say to this. Ben Johnson is elevating Goff. For all the McVay get the best with his system Ben Johnson is doing that but he’s also elevating the way his QB has played. I’m sure part of that is confidence and experience for Goff. But it’s also the play calling!! Because Goff still has his under pressure mistake tendencies. But Johnson leaves so many saftey outlets out there that have Goff playing better than ever!!! He’s also a TE’s dream QB. 3 things are guaranteed in life!! Death taxes and Goff gonna have great TE production.  

And too my final part and this will be the most unpopular take on the forum!!! Rewatching Sam and watching these College QB’s to refine notes I’m going to keep it 100!!! Sam is tough!!! And yes he struggled. But outside of Caleb Williams and Some JJ McCarthy none of these QB prospects make throws Sam makes. Now that’s all well and good because 1-3 throws a game doesn’t win you games. That said without those throws you’ll never win a big game and Sam makes those throws. Personally I think the smartest thing this team could do for its future is move back get more and future picks. Go Alt. Then take some of your extra ammo and move back up for McCarthy. Then pick a Tez Walker or Worley or powers with your other second. It’s still early but I’m playing draft and offseason scenarios and watching the crap out of these guys I think that’s where I’d stake my flag trying to transfer as much from what I see in Detroit too what is avalible in the draft from a skillset point of view