The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Where do you draw the line for “needs to start”? 

Day 1. 

Looks something like this: With the 2nd overall pick the Washington Whatevers select: Drake Maye QB. New Head Coach comes out and says, we drafted him with the intention for him to play. He will be our starting QB. 

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It seemed to work out okay in recent years for the Chiefs (10th), Bills (6th), Chargers (6th), Dolphins (5th), etc., not to have their very highly drafted QB start from day one. 

Tua was widely viewed as a bad QB until Mike McDaniels got there. Herbert got the nod because of medical malpractice. Josh Allen should have been QB1 from day 1. Mahomes had Alex Smith in front of him. With the exception of Tua, everyone on that list could have and should have been starting from day 1. 

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Obviously, the best case scenario is someone like Stroud, who they were apparently able to get up to speed by Week One. But if the player isn’t ready from jump, that’s (a) not the death knell for his career and (b) good reason to keep him on the bench until he is ready. Doesn’t mean forever. But you have to do what’s best for the long-term development of that player, not what an inpatient fanbase wants to see.

If there were any QBs in this draft like Stroud, this would he really valid to me. If we play the slow game with a QB, it's best done with a Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson type pick rather than an extremely early one. I for one would love to get Jordan Travis (2nd or 3rd Id imagine) and have him heal and learn until ready. Early picks don't get that luxury, especially on bad teams. 

48 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

My whole point of disagreeing about the QB pick starting immediately was not that the guy sucked but just Sam was so good that you had to start him. In an extreme case it happened with Brees and Rivers. The idea that its not possible is crazy to me when we've seen it happen before. Its highly unlikely but possible. 

If a 5th round 3rd year pro beats out the second overall pick, doesn't that seem like a failure to you? Sam Howell isn't some wylie veteran than has credibility to his name. If there is any chance that Sam Howell outperforms a highly touted, highly drafted rookie QB, why would we draft the QB?

In my opinion, the only reason they go QB at 2 is if they are sure that Howell isn't the guy. At that point, don't waste your snaps on Howell, get the young guy the experience he needs. 

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

If a 5th round 3rd year pro beats out the second overall pick, doesn't that seem like a failure to you? Sam Howell isn't some wylie veteran than has credibility to his name. If there is any chance that Sam Howell outperforms a highly touted, highly drafted rookie QB, why would we draft the QB?

In my opinion, the only reason they go QB at 2 is if they are sure that Howell isn't the guy. At that point, don't waste your snaps on Howell, get the young guy the experience he needs. 

I understand what you're saying but camp and the preseason still have to happen. I'm just giving an alternative view to the idea of "you were picked 2nd, you have to start". Just a reason of why it may not happen that way. Ultimately I think there's about a 95% chance the pick is Maye, 3% chance its Daniels and 2% the pick is traded and I think the result will be Drake Maye is this teams starter opening day 2024. I'm just saying things happen lol. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I am very down on this QB class. I understand there are a ton of QBs, but mediocre QBs are a dime a dozen and that's the majority of what you see this year. Nix, McCarthy and Penix are JAGs that won't get 2nd contracts and probably won't ever see the field. 

The only QB I considered after landing Bowers, was Jordan Travis. Unfortunately he went before pick #100 where I was targeting him. At that point, I would probably bring Brissett back as he had a good report with Howell and have a real open QB competition.

Very down are strong words.  No doubt, history has shown, that no one can definitively predict the future of a QB in the nfl and most of them fail whether picked in the 1st round or the last. 

I do think this class has a lot of guys with exceptional tools.  Good arms.  Good athleticism.  We need to really dig into their mental processing and personalities.  That kind of information is super hard for us fans to know.  We don't get to sit down with them.  And rarely do any of us understand exactly what they were being asked to do when trying to sift through what we see on film.  So it is a crapshoot.

But we got to make some kind of significant move in the draft or free agency.  Howell is not an acceptable plan.  Statistically, having the #2 is unlikely to happen again soon, so if Peters grades one high we can't not take one.

The build around the qb is not an unreasonable approach, but what is the point of drafting MHJ or Bowers with no QB?  Look at Atlanta.  Are Pitts and London just average players or is it the qb?  We might never know.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Howell is not an acceptable plan. 

One thing I need to ask everyone here, and specifically @taylor made, is why has Sam Howell fallen from grace so far that he isn't a viable QB to have on the roster at all? 

Everyone wants the QBotF, I get it. What if that's just not in the cards this year? What if, like I have said before, this upcoming season is going to be another rough, rebuilding, transition year for us? What if we signed a veteran QB to actually compete with Howell? Is everyone so hellbent on drafting a QB that there isn't any other option? 

I feel like everyone is so desperate for the QBotF that the long term goals aren't being addressed. We cannot forget that this is not a functional roster from top to bottom. There are probably only 4 players that will be here in 3 years. The instant satisfaction route is Dan Snyder type stuff and really, I would rather the team be built correctly and built to last. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

One thing I need to ask everyone here, and specifically @taylor made, is why has Sam Howell fallen from grace so far that he isn't a viable QB to have on the roster at all? 

He's a viable QB. At worst, he's a great backup to have. I think a) getting a veteran back up would be better than Sam for working with our new QB b) no matter what people say, fans clamoring for Sam as the backup will be loud and c) I think we can get AT LEAST a 4th for him which would be a nice return. 

27 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The build around the qb is not an unreasonable approach, but what is the point of drafting MHJ or Bowers with no QB?  Look at Atlanta.  Are Pitts and London just average players or is it the qb?  We might never know.  

I think you are leaving out a very big part of the equation, the coaching staff. Having the right or wrong coaching staff can make or break players. Does anyone question whether or not our players were set up for success this year? How about ATL, since discussed, do we feel that Robinson and Pitts are being used effectively? 

Having the right coach for the right player can't be understated. Tua would have been traded if not for Mike McDaniels. Brock Purdy would not exist if not for Kyle Shanahan, and his uncanny resemblance to John Harbaugh. Russell Wilson proved to be a product of Pete Carroll. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Everyone wants the QBotF, I get it. What if that's just not in the cards this year? What if, like I have said before, this upcoming season is going to be another rough, rebuilding, transition year for us? What if we signed a veteran QB to actually compete with Howell? Is everyone so hellbent on drafting a QB that there isn't any other option? 

I feel like everyone is so desperate for the QBotF that the long term goals aren't being addressed. We cannot forget that this is not a functional roster from top to bottom. There are probably only 4 players that will be here in 3 years. The instant satisfaction route is Dan Snyder type stuff and really, I would rather the team be built correctly and built to last. 

I am happy to have Howell on roster.  He is cheap and has certainly proved he can be an NFL backup.  Really high value in fact, if you consider cost to potential contributions.

I am also happy for him to compete for the position, but he should absolutely not be slated as the intended starter next year.  He could unexpectedly win the job.  But based upon the roster, no one should be surmising in July that Howell is the likely starter in September.

• Like 1

2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina
36: R2 P4 CB Quinyon Mitchell - Toledo
40: R2 P8 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
67: R3 P3 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
99: R3 P35 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
102: R4 P2 RB Mar'Keise Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 WR David White Jr. - Western Carolina
221: R7 P2 TE Trey Knox - South Carolina

7 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:
2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina
36: R2 P4 CB Quinyon Mitchell - Toledo
40: R2 P8 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
67: R3 P3 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
99: R3 P35 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
102: R4 P2 RB Mar'Keise Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 WR David White Jr. - Western Carolina
221: R7 P2 TE Trey Knox - South Carolina

We can dream!

• Like 1

Greg Hall the Baylor DT is having a heck of a practice!!! The Texas OT and Oregon St tackle are killing it along with Powers. 2 guys I like but aren’t showing their traits today are Tez Walker and Calien King. I expect them two to pick up as they settle in king was handsy today he’s going to have to clean that up. McCaffery runs very very crisp routes. If we don’t get one of the quality OL from this week I’ll absolutely lose it

I haven’t watched the practice yet, but it’s killing me reading the national draftnik guys raving about so many of my absolute favorites — Fuaga, Powers-Johnson, McConkey.

One downside of the new Senior Bowl format is that all the secrets are going to get out now — can’t even hide the underclassmen who are badasses anymore.

• Like 3