The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Just have to say again that taking even a player as good as Marvin Harrison at 2 is a losing strategy when you’re holding an obvious QB pick. If you’re not taking one, you auction that pick off to another team at a high price (the QB premium). 

Only QBs are worth the price that people will pay for QBs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just have to say again that taking even a player as good as Marvin Harrison at 2 is a losing strategy when you’re holding an obvious QB pick. If you’re not taking one, you auction that pick off to another team at a high price (the QB premium). 

It reminds me of something from 2020 that I can't quite put my finger on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Do the trade back and Take Adunze,He just catches the ball if it is near him.We need that !

21 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

NFL Notifications 

𝐀 𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠…
that says if the #Commanders cannot bump the Bears off Caleb Williams—

Washington may just take Marvin Harrison Jr. (no. 2) and trade their 2nd round (no. 36) to the #Bears for Justin Fields.

A little ironic coming from Allbright but still...

12 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It reminds me of something from 2020 that I can't quite put my finger on.

Yeah a lot was learned in 2020, that if you don’t have a definite QB you need to try to get one. I certainly learned from it. It’s frustrating to argue with people on twitter who don’t think we should take a QB. It’s like banging my head on a wall. 😂 

I will say that if we hadn’t drafted Dan Snyder’s sons friend the year before in R1 and if Tua wasn’t coming off a dislocated hip his final year at QB that we wouldn’t taken Tua at #2. 

There were a lot of questions around Herbert in 2019 & 2020 on whether he could be a leader on an offense bc he was quiet and an introvert. Herbert’s natural talent was never questioned but people can’t overlook those other questions he had on if he could be “the alpha” on an offense and lead a team. 

Those issues are the reason Herbert didn’t go above Tua and also, Herbert wasn’t very consistent as a passer his last year at Oregon but, his arm talent & athleticism could never be questioned.

Edited by turtle28

Man I honestly think we need to walk away with 2 first rounders this year. These OL are going to dominate the first round along with WR. Their could be 16-18 picks at those spots round one alone

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Man I honestly think we need to walk away with 2 first rounders this year. These OL are going to dominate the first round along with WR. Their could be 16-18 picks at those spots round one alone

The fact that we’re retaining Tavita Pritchard as QB coach might be an indicator that we might be looking to trade down and acquire more picks.  

I’ve said I would be fine with taking a year to continue to build out the roster, and then leverage assets next off-season to acquire the QBOTF, whether that’s draft, trade or free agency.  Obviously we have pros and cons to each.  

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The fact that we’re retaining Tavita Pritchard as QB coach might be an indicator that we might be looking to trade down and acquire more picks.  

I’ve said I would be fine with taking a year to continue to build out the roster, and then leverage assets next off-season to acquire the QBOTF, whether that’s draft, trade or free agency.  Obviously we have pros and cons to each.  

I'm just going to sit back and watch as the entire fanbase unravels when we trade down from #2 and build a functional team instead of drafting any of the QBs that are predetermined to be busts. 

I think it's at the very least a 50-50 chance at this point that a trade down occurs. The other 50% includes the possibility of a trade up and staying and taking the QB. 

I also agree that if we stay at 2, it should absolutely be a QB. Their value as an asset is far greater than any other position, so unfortunately they get drafted over more deserving guys. 

To me, trading down while staying in the top 10 still allows you to get a premier offensive line talent or a mold breaking TE and more building blocks for the future. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm just going to sit back and watch as the entire fanbase unravels when we trade down from #2 and build a functional team instead of drafting any of the QBs that are predetermined to be busts. 

I think it's at the very least a 50-50 chance at this point that a trade down occurs. The other 50% includes the possibility of a trade up and staying and taking the QB. 

I also agree that if we stay at 2, it should absolutely be a QB. Their value as an asset is far greater than any other position, so unfortunately they get drafted over more deserving guys. 

To me, trading down while staying in the top 10 still allows you to get a premier offensive line talent or a mold breaking TE and more building blocks for the future. 

I don't feel like doing it now, but it would be interesting compiling the scenarios that unfolded between bad teams taking a QB now vs. building a team up and then getting your QB. I'm sure it's a mixed bag in both directions. 

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Gonna be pretty sweet when we trade down and Daniels and Maye end up good QBs and we’re doing the Tua/Herbert song and dance all over again for the next 4 years while we play old vets and back ups trying to find a QB that we could’ve just picked at 2 years prior. 

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Gonna be pretty sweet when we trade down and Daniels and Maye end up good QBs and we’re doing the Tua/Herbert song and dance all over again for the next 4 years while we play old vets and back ups trying to find a QB that we could’ve just picked at 2 years prior. 

Two unpopular opinions on this subject.

1. A drafted QBs success is as much on the players abilities as it is for the team to develop/maximize potential. I say this because I firmly believe that just because a player is successful in one situation, doesnt mean they would have been successful in any situation. Only rare players will succeed anywhere IMO. 

2. Sam Howell is just as good/has as much potential as any QB in this draft. Yes, I mean that seriously and it probably doesn't include Williams who has a "finished product" feel to him. There was a point where Sam Howell exhibited serious QBotF potential. I have soured on him, but I haven't given up. Sign a FA QB, have a true open competition, and build the team around the position. 

So yes, it sucks seeing Herbert and Tua play well, but whos to say either of them would have been anything here? Especially with the staff we had, how are we going to say that any potential they had would have been maximized here? I know you love Drake Maye as a prospect, but I still believe it would be in our best interest to avoid any of the QBs not named Caleb Williams. 

38 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't feel like doing it now, but it would be interesting compiling the scenarios that unfolded between bad teams taking a QB now vs. building a team up and then getting your QB. I'm sure it's a mixed bag in both directions. 

I do think analytics can tell you a lot, but I also think each situation is specific and unique. For example, is there any other team in the NFL where Brock Purdy gets a serious chance and is then chosen over a QB that 3 1sts were used for? Another example would be Jalen Hurts. Now I know that a good deal of teams would take Hurts as their QB, but does he succeed outside of Philly? Then you got all of the QBs taken early that flamed out due to their teams just being terrible. Who knows what Sam Darnold could have been on a decent team?

I just don't believe there are as many quality QBs in this draft as others are making it out to be. Certainly any of them could succeed, but none of them are sure things and as I have said before, this new regime has to NAIL their first pick. We cannot afford a bust at any position. 

• Like 1