The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m NOT saying Caleb will be Mahomes but, he certainly has a lot of similar traits and has a really good chance ro be a great QB. He can be a poor man’s Mahomes for sure.

Every year they hype these guys up as the next big thing. The QB position is just to polarizing. I'm not saying he isn't a talented guy, but people are crowning him before he has even played a down in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Personally I really really really like JJ McCarthy

Interesting sell on Mccarthy.  The personality matters.  If I am not wrong though, he sort of suffers from the same slight frame issues as Daniels.  I am not sure I buy the argument that he was hamstrung by the michigan offense.  I mean after the fact, many of us think Howell was done dirty by asking to do too much.  So it can go both ways. 

One thing is for sure, the battle to be king of the tier 2 guys (penix, nix, maccarthy) is quite interesting. 

If we had a middling pick this threesome might be the center of our discussion.  One of them could turn into a purdy like story.  But the question that keeps coming up is can you pass up on the top 3 guys when you actually have the opportunity to take one without trading up?  Doing so might take more guts than actually taking one of them.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You know what the teams Adam Peters has helped build in San Fran have done twice in the last 5 years?

They’ve been “almost SB winners” as Mahomes has beaten his teams twice.

I say if you can get a guy who has a similar playing style, moxy & skillset to Mahomes you do it.

I’m not really sure what you're watching if you see the movement in and out of the pocket, how Caleb manipulates the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield while rifling off ridiculous throws with/ elite arm talent off-platform at times with/ escapability & not thinking it's Mahomes like.

I’m NOT saying Caleb will be Mahomes but, he certainly has a lot of similar traits and has a really good chance ro be a great QB. He can be a poor man’s Mahomes for sure.

Peters also got the experience of flying too close to the sun with Lance. That might change things. 

The personality issue on Williams is concerning to me.  It is interesting that we have Kingsbury who has first hand experience with a good set of these qbs.  I assume they are picking his brain.  Mostly I wonder if his experience with Kyler Murray colors his feedback cause if I recall Murray has some personality issues which may have been an issue.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Interesting sell on Mccarthy.  The personality matters.  If I am not wrong though, he sort of suffers from the same slight frame issues as Daniels.  I am not sure I buy the argument that he was hamstrung by the michigan offense.  I mean after the fact, many of us think Howell was done dirty by asking to do too much.  So it can go both ways. 

One thing is for sure, the battle to be king of the tier 2 guys (penix, nix, maccarthy) is quite interesting. 

If we had a middling pick this threesome might be the center of our discussion.  One of them could turn into a purdy like story.  But the question that keeps coming up is can you pass up on the top 3 guys when you actually have the opportunity to take one without trading up?  Doing so might take more guts than actually taking one of them.

He is slightly skinny but he runs at nowhere near the rate of Daniels. Also I do believe when your a player ultimately trying to make it to the NFL and be picked as high as possible I do believe it takes a certain type of guy to say I’ll forgo the glory of my name and numbers for the betterment of the team especially when you only get so many opportunities to get the hype train around you as a prospect. 

because this is different then Joe burrow or the Bama QB’s where they always answer for the talent around and scheme like are they a truck or trailer. This is Michigan pounded Corrum and Edwards at teams at a rate where your questioning are they masking JJ and it’s costing him a lot of money early unless a team does fall in love with him which I believe when it’s said and done he’s closer to Daniel’s and Maye then anyone has talked about throughout his career. My best friend is a Michigan guy so I’ve watched every game of his not just live but breaking him down I actually just have that thing I can’t explain guy feeling I guess is the only way to explain it. And this year he elevated every moment and every big throw that it was going to take to win he did it and to have all the noise around that team idk man there’s something too him is all I’m saying. He and Zack Zinter come out of this draft somehow somewhere in Washington I’ll be elated!!! And give me Loveland next year for the 3 peat 🤣🤣🤣 but really I’m not a Michigan guy but those 3 and Sanstril are all amazing football players. Trust me I’m a Miami U guy so there’s no homer with these evals I actually just loved what they did there I believe Harbaugh is sending real winners to the NFL from there

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

Had me until you said McCarthy, Nix, or Penix could turn into a Purdy-like story. 

Dude, the only way that happens is if one of these 3 is Mr. Irrelevant & then he gets to the Super Bowl. Seeing as they're likely to be drafted mid to late R1 or at the latest R3, it's impossible that any of those 3 will be a Purdy-like story.

To me, if McCarthy, Nix, or Penix were the prospect you're hoping they end io being then they'd be one of the top 3 prospects, but they're not. They're mid to late 1st round prospects at best & they may fall into R2 or even 3 depending how the draft falls just like the 2012 draft & how Wilson, Foles & Kirk all feel a round or 2 in the draft bc the teams who needed/wanted Qbs took their guys earlier.

There’s no way we should pass on one of the top 3 QBs at #2. Take which one you like the best & go with it.

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

Peters also got the experience of flying too close to the sun with Lance. That might change things. 

The personality issue on Williams is concerning to me.  It is interesting that we have Kingsbury who has first hand experience with a good set of these qbs.  I assume they are picking his brain.  Mostly I wonder if his experience with Kyler Murray colors his feedback cause if I recall Murray has some personality issues which may have been an issue.

I think the so called “personality issues” with Caleb are overblown. When he was a freshman at OU or his 1st year at USC I don't remember hearing anything about him having some personality questions but when he didn't have the season everyone was thinking he should've had & USC didn't make the CFP after Caleb won the Heisman in 2022 then, all these rumors started bc people were looking for reasons as to why Caleb didn't throw for 5,000 yards & 50 TDs while leading USC to the CFP.

Maybe it had something to do with the lack of talent around him? Washington & Oregon had better teams. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Had me until you said McCarthy, Nix, or Penix could turn into a Purdy-like story. 

Dude, the only way that happens is if one of these 3 is Mr. Irrelevant & then he gets to the Super Bowl. Seeing as they're likely to be drafted mid to late R1 or at the latest R3, it's impossible that any of those 3 will be a Purdy-like story.

To me, if McCarthy, Nix, or Penix were the prospect you're hoping they end io being then they'd be one of the top 3 prospects, but they're not. They're mid to late 1st round prospects at best & they may fall into R2 or even 3 depending how the draft falls just like the 2012 draft & how Wilson, Foles & Kirk all feel a round or 2 in the draft bc the teams who needed/wanted Qbs took their guys earlier.

There’s no way we should pass on one of the top 3 QBs at #2. Take which one you like the best & go with it.

True true.  2nd round qb vs 7th round is a wide difference.  But I guess at this  point I am just thinking any non 1st tier qb is likely not assumed to be a franchise qb by the market.  Still that comparison a bit of a reach.  

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think the so called “personality issues” with Caleb are overblown. When he was a freshman at OU or his 1st year at USC I don't remember hearing anything about him having some personality questions but when he didn't have the season everyone was thinking he should've had & USC didn't make the CFP after Caleb won the Heisman in 2022 then, all these rumors started bc people were looking for reasons as to why Caleb didn't throw for 5,000 yards & 50 TDs while leading USC to the CFP.

Maybe it had something to do with the lack of talent around him? Washington & Oregon had better teams. 

I don't know.  There is a lot of smoke.  

16 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He and Zack Zinter come out of this draft somehow somewhere in Washington I’ll be elated!!! And give me Loveland next year for the 3 peat 🤣🤣🤣

While we’re talking about Michigan guys, you could sign me up for Roman Wilson. I actually get some Terry McLaurin vibes off him. Normal-sized guy, but he leverages well and gives the passer a great window to throw into, and he will go get the ball for you.

I don’t know what the speed will be, and that might set the ceiling for him. But that kid is a tough cover. 

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

True true.  2nd round qb vs 7th round is a wide difference.  But I guess at this  point I am just thinking any non 1st tier qb is likely not assumed to be a franchise qb by the market.  Still that comparison a bit of a reach.  

I don't know.  There is a lot of smoke.  

Not for me. Caleb & Drake Maye have been the guys since their recruiting classes for this draft class & they've usually lived up to that hype.

Daniels is a late bloomer, he actually should've been in last year's draft class just like Nix & Penix but the COVID-19 year got them an extra year & catastrophic knee injuries for Penix got him two extra years.

The only smoke really going on is that JJ McCarthy is rising to possibly be a top 15 pick. Nix & Penix have always been viewed as mid to late 1st rnd picks or 2nd round picks.

McCarthy is the one who's risen a round.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:00 AM, ripsean21 said:

After that I believe the guys behind the 2 and 3 top guys are closer to 4,5,6,7,8 then they are too Williams and that is my reservation for picking the 2,3 guy at 2. I know that sentiment isn’t popular and I understand and respect each persons opinion and reasoning for thinking you still go QB. I just man I just feel like that’s why the teams picking high most of them were teams that took QB2,3,4 in their class and over drafted those players. It wasn’t so much that the player couldn’t turn out it’s where they went and the situation. I don’t want to overdraft a guy and hinder him because we needed the better player around that guy for it to even work and develop.

The reason most people are willing to take Maye or Daniels at 2 is bc that's this team's biggest need still & you only get so many chances to get a top 5 pick where you would have the best chance at drafting a QB who develops into a franchise QB.

Personally, I don't think taking Maye or Daniels at 2 is really over-drafting them. In all drafts I think they're top 10 picks so, if you're saying we are over-drafting them what are we talking about? Like by a handful of picks at most?

You take that chance on what you believe could be a franchise QB - if you don't have one - 10 times out of 10 and find other ways to improve the rest of the team.

I don't want to be in the same position we were the last 3 years where we passed on Tua & Herbert bc Snyder wanted Haskins to be the guy & bc there were some questions about Tua (hip injury) & Herbert (introvert/if he could lead the team & inconsistent play) and now we still need a franchise QB.

There’s no way you pass on Maye or Daniels who have the skills to develop into a franchise QB when you don't have a franchise QB bc if you don't have a top 10 QB in this league you usually top out as a 9 or 10 win team like Jay Gruden & Rivera’s teams did.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

For the group that favors trading out of pick 2, I’m curious: would you intend to take another QB lower or just pass on the position?

For sake of the discussion, let’s say Williams/Maye/Daniels all go top 3, McCarthy goes top 20, and Nix/Penix both go in the top 50.

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

For the group that favors trading out of pick 2, I’m curious: would you intend to take another QB lower or just pass on the position?

For sake of the discussion, let’s say Williams/Maye/Daniels all go top 3, McCarthy goes top 20, and Nix/Penix both go in the top 50.

If we don't select a QB early, I want a veteran QB through FA. I would advocate for Russell Wilson, Jacoby Brissett or Kirk Cousins. I also would take a flyer on Jordan Travis with our comp pick from Chase Young trade if available. 

I want nothing to do with McCarthy or Nix. I also think Penix's injury history is too extensive to consider him. 

*Edit* I know people are going to complain about "passing" on this "elite" QB class if we go the FA route, but Russell Wilson is almost the perfect QB for a Kliff Kingsbury offense. He would be my 1a if we passed on QBs in the draft. I seriously doubt Sam Howell beats him out, but have a true competition and may the best man win.

Edited by Slappy Mc

On 2/12/2024 at 8:56 AM, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sold any of these QB are Patrick Mahomes level or potential. I don't think any of then are CJ Stroud level either. Caleb Williams could prove me wrong and come in like a smooth operator, but I just don't see it. 

I think Adam Peters will be consistent with his philosophy and build through the draft. I don't believe trading up is included in that. Someone else can pay the price to play the game. 

I actually think that Jayden Daniels has the highest ceiling because his intangibles are on par with his physical gifts. Everyone loves him. I want to stay put at #2 and draft Jayden; and, I know I know... he is skinny. But his frame looks good to me and I bet he could easily bulk up. 

39 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If we don't select a QB early, I want a veteran QB through FA. I would advocate for Russell Wilson, Jacoby Brissett or Kirk Cousins. I also would take a flyer on Jordan Travis with our comp pick from Chase Young trade if available. 

*Edit* I know people are going to complain about "passing" on this "elite" QB class if we go the FA route, but Russell Wilson is almost the perfect QB for a Kliff Kingsbury offense. He would be my 1a if we passed on QBs in the draft. I seriously doubt Sam Howell beats him out, but have a true competition and may the best man win.

To quote my friend @lavar703 - if this offseason ends with us going into the Adam Peters era with Russell Wilson as our starting quarterback, it's a disaster. A god damn disaster. Cutthroat Island box office. Mariah Carey releasing Glitter. Redskins trading for McNabb.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

To quote my friend @lavar703 - if this offseason ends with us going into the Adam Peters era with Russell Wilson as our starting quarterback, it's a disaster. A god damn disaster. Cutthroat Island box office. Mariah Carey releasing Glitter. Redskins trading for McNabb.

I understand ya'lls feelings, but I disagree. Russell Wilson gives you the best results out of any QB available IMO. Yes even better than Caleb Williams.