The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Kevin Sheehan

Ron Rivera on #NFLLive said he thinks Jayden Daniels to Washington at #2 makes sense. Says key is Kingsbury will put premium on mobility. Emphasized that QB at #2 is what he thinks they’ll do. Never mentioned Howell…not surprising but somewhat telling. #Commanders

Oh christ. Take Daniels off the board. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Oh christ. Take Daniels off the board. 

I laughed. Legit Ron Rivera should never speak about this franchise or what they should do again. His decisions are why we are in this mess in the first place. 

On 3/4/2024 at 1:15 PM, TKellion said:

2.Marvin Harrison Jr. WR Ohio State

36.J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan
51.Bralen Trice EDGE Washington

67.Jeremiah Trotter Jr. LB Clemson

101.Roger Rosengarten OT Washington
103.Blake Corum RB Michigan
120.Delmar Glaze OT Maryland

135.Jared Wiley TE TCU

138.Isaiah Adams OG Illinois

155.Beaux Limmer OC Arkansas

181.Demani Richardson S Texas A&M

205.Gabe Hall DT Baylor

220.Omar Speights LB LSU.....I wouldnt be upset with that draft

McCarthy won't get past the Vikings at 11, or Denver and Las Vegas right after that.

21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

McCarthy won't get past the Vikings at 11, or Denver and Las Vegas right after that.

Ya you can have him. The guy averaged under 200 passing yards a game last year. He's way too raw to be a first round pick IMO. 

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya you can have him. The guy averaged under 200 passing yards a game last year. He's way too raw to be a first round pick IMO. 

that's a very cursory and limited way of looking at his ability. here's a closer examination:

Ryan Wilson, CBSSports.com: "J.J. McCarthy might be one of the most polarizing players in this class, and I’ll admit it, I was skeptical that he was worthy of a first-round pick. It’s not because he isn’t talented (his athleticism and arm strength are impressive), but because he wasn’t asked to do a lot in Michigan’s offense. But go back and watch his throws on third down and 6 to 10 yards to go: he completed 73% of his attempts — many of them NFL throws — with 5 touchdowns and no turnovers."

if he has the ability to become 1st round quality, do you wait for a player like that to become that good, or do you take him when he's available and watch him become that good on your team and not someone else's?

regardless, enough NFL analysts and team execs feel he'll never make it to #36, which was my main point.

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I feel this way about all the QBs, so no issues with us passing on him or another team taking him. 

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

if he has the ability to become 1st round quality, do you wait for a player like that to become that good, or do you take him when he's available and watch him become that good on your team and not someone else's?

regardless, enough NFL analysts and team execs feel he'll never make it to #36, which was my main point.

The QB prospects get overvalued each year by this line of thinking. NFL "analysts" will say whatever they can to drum up attention. They can't wait for draft and free agency seasons, they spew nonsense and hope something sticks. 

If people keep overdrafting QBs, the rich will keep getting richer. All the true top prospects will fall into the laps of the good teams.

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If people keep overdrafting QBs, the rich will keep getting richer. All the true top prospects will fall into the laps of the good teams.

okie dokie. i definitely agree with you that if McCarthy is there at 36 you should take him.

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

okie dokie. i definitely agree with you that if McCarthy is there at 36 you should take him.

Not sure where you got any indication I wanted McCarthy at all. 

I was more speaking on "the potential to become 1st round quality" for QB prospects in general.

By all means, keep swinging for the HR instead of trying to consistently get on base. That's how the majority of this fan base feels. To he'll with a roster of quality players, one potential 1st round quality QB trumps all.

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not sure where you got any indication I wanted McCarthy at all. 

I was more speaking on "the potential to become 1st round quality" for QB prospects in general.

By all means, keep swinging for the HR instead of trying to consistently get on base. That's how the majority of this fan base feels. To he'll with a roster of quality players, one potential 1st round quality QB trumps all.

my first post in this whole conversation was responding to @TKellion's mock showing McCarthy taken at 36 by WASH.

sort of a hostile vibe in here since then, i'll show myself out. 

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

my first post in this whole conversation was responding to @TKellion's mock showing McCarthy taken at 36 by WASH.

oh man, don't go away upset !! 🤗

Adam Schefter 

The Bears have now made three huge investments at all three levels of the defense in the last calendar year:

🏈DE Montez Sweat: 4 years, $98M

🏈LB Tremaine Edmunds: 4 years, $72M

🏈CB Jaylon Johnson: 4 years, $76 million.

Caleb’s salary will fit in better than Justin Fields would. 

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Cool.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Scott Abraham

Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye?

Add another vote for Daniels to the Commanders.

I spoke with ESPN's @FieldYates today. 

Field told me Daniels "was at his best in big moments against great teams."

Edited by ARTMONK HOF