The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

The move that is being overrated the most amongst the draft folks is the fact that we took Marcus Mariota as a backup QB.

Also how is he 30?! He's been through it, man.

43 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

The move that is being overrated the most amongst the draft folks is the fact that we took Marcus Mariota as a backup QB.

Also how is he 30?! He's been through it, man.

I mean, the incentives in his contract escalate the value from 6M to 10M. To call him a back-up at this point is plain foolish. 

Let's look at the events at a glance. 3/12 - Mariota signs 1 year deal. 3/14 - Sam Howell traded to Seattle. 4/1 First offseason workout programs begin. 4/25 NFL Draft. 

So, we entered the offseason with Sam Howell as our starter (in pencil). It was clear from conversations at the scouting combine and introductions that Howell wasn't going to be the guy. They signed Mariota to a fair deal for a "back-up" level QB. Then traded Howell two days later. At this point Marcus Mariota is your starter (🤮). This all but guarantees we go QB early, which was already a foregone conclusion. When the team gets together for their first workouts of the offseason, Marcus Mariota will be working with the 1st team (🤮). On the 25th, we will very likely hear the name of a QB that will usurp Mariota's position as the starter.

Whether or not it is a good decision to "rush" the rookie QB into starting action is yet to be seen. There is a strong chance that Mariota starts some games this year. To say that Mariota is here to strictly be the backup is foolish. All NFL QBs are competitors who want to start. Look at Geno Smith for example. After watching him go from NYJ to NYG to LAC, who would have given him any credence to see significant playing time? Did he ever call himself "just a backup?" 

With all of that said, this is still the move I dislike the most. I'm not a fan of Mariota the QB at all and I dislike Mariota the teammate far more. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean, the incentives in his contract escalate the value from 6M to 10M. To call him a back-up at this point is plain foolish. 

Jacoby Brissett’s contract was larger ($8M guaranteed, total possible value of up to $10M), particularly in terms of percent of the cap — and I still called him a backup all offseason. 

I don’t think Bears fans are sitting around wringing their hands about how Tyson Bagent at this point is their starter. They know where it’s headed, and so should we. The “backup” will play as much or as little as the rookie’s development process demands. 

I know you have a deep-seated distaste for Mariota based on whatever happened with the Falcons. I will simply say again that the folks who were in Atlanta at that point don’t seem to have taken it nearly as hard as some of you guys in this forum have, and that Mariota’s reputation in the NFL for a decade or so has been that he’s one of the nicer guys and better teammates in the league. 

I think you were one of my brothers in hatred for Trent Williams, so I can’t knock you for inconsistency or anything like that. But I do think there’s a bit of a difference between a benched veteran QB (on a 1-year FA deal), whose wife just had a kid, going home for the last couple weeks of the season to be with his family and have surgery done — and whatever former franchise cornerstone Trent Williams did. 

All that said, it’s absolutely your right to hate Mariota too.

But for me, the biggest drawback is that I think he’s too bad at being a QB to really give us options, in terms of sitting the rookie for a good while. It’s one thing when you have Alex Smith or Joe Flacco or Aaron Rodgers (or Brett Favre) ahead of your rookie pick — much easier to sit the rookie for an extended span. I think Mariota will play too poorly for the staff to be able to justify the rookie getting mental reps for very long.

• Like 1

Ben Standig

Sources on Drake Maye varied from a longtime (QB) coach saying, “I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first” to a scout’s praise, “he’ll be the best of the group.”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ben Standig

Sources on Drake Maye varied from a longtime (QB) coach saying, “I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first” to a scout’s praise, “he’ll be the best of the group.”

in the multiverse i've been visiting lately, it's Maye who is the one who drops to an unexpected level.

he won't go far, not like Rodgers did, but to 6 or 8 or 10 or so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Jacoby Brissett’s contract was larger ($8M guaranteed, total possible value of up to $10M), particularly in terms of percent of the cap — and I still called him a backup all offseason. 

Ron Rivera point blank said Howell was the starter, before Brissett or Eric Bieniemy were hired. Not the same situation IMO. 

I don’t think Bears fans are sitting around wringing their hands about how Tyson Bagent at this point is their starter. They know where it’s headed, and so should we. The “backup” will play as much or as little as the rookie’s development process demands. 

I think if we were in a position to draft Caleb Williams, I may feel the same. The other QBs are leagues behind Williams and aren't Day 1 starters, IMO.

The biggest issue/concern is this could be up-to/longer than his entire rookie season with the QBs after Caleb. 

I know you have a deep-seated distaste for Mariota based on whatever happened with the Falcons. I will simply say again that the folks who were in Atlanta at that point don’t seem to have taken it nearly as hard as some of you guys in this forum have, and that Mariota’s reputation in the NFL for a decade or so has been that he’s one of the nicer guys and better teammates in the league. 

I think you were one of my brothers in hatred for Trent Williams, so I can’t knock you for inconsistency or anything like that. But I do think there’s a bit of a difference between a benched veteran QB (on a 1-year FA deal), whose wife just had a kid, going home for the last couple weeks of the season to be with his family and have surgery done — and whatever former franchise cornerstone Trent Williams did. 

All that said, it’s absolutely your right to hate Mariota too.

But for me, the biggest drawback is that I think he’s too bad at being a QB to really give us options, in terms of sitting the rookie for a good while. It’s one thing when you have Alex Smith or Joe Flacco or Aaron Rodgers (or Brett Favre) ahead of your rookie pick — much easier to sit the rookie for an extended span. I think Mariota will play too poorly for the staff to be able to justify the rookie getting mental reps for very long.

Mariota is a terrible QB. Like most of other members I would have rather kept Howell and let him fill in the snaps while the rookie learns. Literally everything that Mariota can do, Howell is better at and he was much cheaper. That said, I think we run a really serious risk of damaging a young QB by thrusting them into action before they are ready. We have seen and been a part of this song and dance before. The development of a young QB can be ruined in their first year if started too soon or pressed to do too much.

There is already a tremendous amount of pressure on whichever player is drafted at 2 and they don't even know who they are yet. Being heralded as a franchise "savior" is more pressure than most 20-22 year olds can process. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

in the multiverse i've been visiting lately, it's Maye who is the one who drops to an unexpected level.

he won't go far, not like Rodgers did, but to 6 or 8 or 10 or so.

He’d be the guy I’d say could fall too but JD’s sack rate to pressure is so high I think Sam Howell really showed just how bad that can effect a teams drive

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Being heralded as a franchise "savior" is more pressure than most 20-22 year olds can process. 

"and here's MILLIONS of dollars at signing, son. go buy a Ferrari!"

• Like 2

Pelissero: “When I’ve had conversations here, with executives from other teams, who know Adam Peters well, who know the situation well, the most popular answer for what they do at #2 is JJ McCarthy.”

I’m sure this will get a lot of comments from our posters. 🤔😂

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Pelissero: “When I’ve had conversations here, with executives from other teams, who know Adam Peters well, who know the situation well, the most popular answer for what they do at #2 is JJ McCarthy.”

If they were to take McCarthy at 2 I’d be embarrassed for this franchise. Like, legitimately embarrassed. There is nothing you can show me that will tell me that guy is a top 10 let alone top 2 talent at QB. It will just be another Washington mistake in a long line of them. I would hope like hell it would work out but I would just get Davis/Dotson/Forbes vibes all over again. 

• Like 1

All I want is for this team to draft the right QB. Because in the next 3 years I want to scout and fall in love with a CB like I do every year and we actually take that player 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I will officially go into hiding forever because I know everyone is going to tag me on every bad play 🤣🤣🤣 #Ripgothis guyandhesucks 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

#Tradedown

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

But too be serious I love him because of all the things I chopped Purdy up for because watching that team you say Hall hall hall and you forget every scramble and every big time throw when they didn’t have premier weapons. The Difference is JJ is more Athletic and has a much bigger arm. I know he’s not Drake Maye but he’s closer too him then he is Purdy when it comes to the toolbox. I know I’ve been the Drake Maye bash man this offseason and it isn’t that I don’t love his skillset. It’s that everything I wanted too see out of him at UNC JJ showed me at Michigan because the two were amazing coming out of HS and having watched every game of theirs most live some when I had a chance to highlight the next AM I just saw Drake leaving me with questions and JJ over the collection of reps would take the steps when I had questions and said he needs to do this or needs to do that. 

All that said and all the notes and feelings and everything all of this and Tua’s brother could very well be the only QB 3 years from now that does anything worthwhile as we all know because the only thing we do know about QB’s panning out is basically luck. Player coach and team and time just line up and you get your window. I’d love for that to be us with whoever the selected name is come April because I love everybody on this forum because we are a loyal proud family who have done a ton of searching with no reward and I know how smart each one of you are and ultimately I want us all to get that moment we’ve all waited through some hard times for. That’s where I’m at Cheers to April 25th and 8:something where the real work begins for a young guy catching his dream to play in the league and no matter what the name called is I hope we all not only cheer for them I hope they give us something real to cheer for guys

• Like 1