The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

alright guys, so what's really going on with this new quote from Pellisero?

is it that WASH actually wants to trade down and know the Vikings may very well be interested in McC (along with other teams) so they're sending up the flare to come get him at 2, and bring a bank vault of picks?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

is it that WASH actually wants to trade down and know the Vikings may very well be interested in McC (along with other teams) so they're sending up the flare to come get him at 2, and bring a bank vault of picks?

It's nothing yet. He says people outside of the organization think this about Adam Peters. Not worried about it. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

With Denver and Minnesota in the trade up for JJ or other QBs market, it could be sn attempt to play them against each other to see what each teams maximum offer truly is. 

Without them saying JJ is an option, they may think they only need to get to 3.

IMO, this is a lot of smokescreen. But I appreciate that we are playing the game to see all options. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

With Denver and Minnesota in the trade up for JJ or other QBs market, it could be sn attempt to play them against each other to see what each teams maximum offer truly is. 

Without them saying JJ is an option, they may think they only need to get to 3.

IMO, this is a lot of smokescreen. But I appreciate that we are playing the game to see all options. 

that's how i see it, but why not just do it privately, GM to GM?

i don't think this kind of pr noise really affects what real GM's want to do.

Just now, vike daddy said:

that's how i see it, but why not just do it privately, GM to GM?

i don't think this kind of pr noise really affects what real GM's want to do.

I mean more coaches and GMs have been vocal about their QB plans this year than any year I can remember. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean more coaches and GMs have been vocal about their QB plans this year than any year I can remember. 

It’s because supply. The Lawrence year was very similar it seemed like we all knew the teams that were considering QB and it turned out they all either made a trade for or took one with their top pick

Mark Bullock

And for the record, I’m probably one of the bigger McCarthy fans out there and absolutely believe Washington could take him at 2. But I also don’t think Washington knows which QB it’s going to take yet. We know meeting people in person is important to Peters. Time for that still

My guess right now would probably be Drake Maye based on nothing but a hunch. Think there are clear paths for all 3 of Maye, Daniels and McCarthy to be successful at the next level, with some significant issues for each one to overcome. Fun spot to be in, really

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Ron Rivera point blank said Howell was the starter, before Brissett or Eric Bieniemy were hired. Not the same situation IMO. 

Agree that it’s not exactly the same situation, although I will just point out that it was on August 18 last year when Rivera (followed quickly by the social medias) came out and “named” Sam the starter for the season. I also recall it being suggested over the course of the offseason that Sam was the guy, but obviously they didn’t feel it was set in stone (if Rivera had to come out and make an announcement). 

I guess the bigger point, though, is that if Brissett was always just a pure backup, and his contract was bigger than Mariota’s — then there’s no particular reason to think Mariota’s contract suggests he’s anything more than that, I would think.

• Like 2

One of the side effects I think we’ll see if McCarthy and Daniels really do both hop over Maye is the absolute end of highly regarded QB prospects staying at mid-level schools for their whole career.

Nix leaves Auburn as an undraftable failure, goes to Oregon and ends up a possible 1st-rounder. Penix leaves Indiana as an injury-riddled enigma, goes to Washington and ends up a possible 1st-rounder. Daniels leaves Arizona State as a major disappointment and possible late round flyer, goes to LSU and ends up the favorite for the #2 pick. 

And maybe the worst of all, JJ McCarthy  goes to Michigan, rides the pine behind some guy called Cade McNamara as a freshman, acts as the infrequently called-upon steward of the nation’s best roster for two seasons, and now would be going ahead of Maye as well? 

Meanwhile, Maye himself stays home at “family school” UNC, turning down an offer from Alabama. Redshirts behind presumptive top pick in his first season. Explodes on the scene as redshirt freshman with monster production (4300+ passing yards, almost 700 rushing yards, 38 TDs against 7 INTs) despite mediocre talent around him. 

And he again turns down Alabama’s overtures, this time in the portal. This being the school that, in a row, turned out Tua (5th) and Mac (15th) and Bryce (1st). Three guys who, quite frankly, don’t hold a candle to Maye’s talent as a passer. He sticks with his choice in UNC.

Of course, Alabama plugs in Milroe, and ends up going to the CFP (and putting Milroe on the Heisman ballot). Maye, on the other hand, has a choppy season with a terrible (and new) scheme, terrible OL, and terrible receivers — the best of whom didn’t even get to play half the season, creating added turmoil.

And now they think two of the football factory kids are going to jump him in the draft? Because “he’s not ready” and “he’s not a winner.” 

Which would continue the trend of the last 5 years. Fourteen QBs drafted in the top 15 picks, and eleven of them have been from the top 10ish football powerhouse schools. Add in Williams, Daniels, and McCarthy, and it will be up to 14 out of 18. 

It was a terrible decision by Maye not to go to Alabama, though perhaps it won’t hurt him as badly as his predecessor, who went from possible #1 to day 3 when the talent level at UNC dipped. Imagine if Sam had transferred to somewhere like Notre Dame or Oregon for his junior season — very real chance he would still have gone top 10 if he’d done so, with the talent on those rosters.

There’s really no option left. If you’re a high-end talent at a small or medium school, you have no choice but to bail and transfer to a school where you know you’ll win and put up big numbers and look good with the elite talent around you. Staying at a place like UNC just isn’t a workable option any longer — which is why you saw guys like Will Howard (Kansas State) and Riley Leonard (Duke) grab open chairs at powerhouse schools as fast as they could.

And it’s hard to imagine how much the draft process will chew up a guy like Shedeur Sanders, trying to make it work at his dad’s clown operation. Good luck with that. Don’t show bad footwork while constantly being blasted by free rushers, and don’t throw many incompletions while all your receivers (except perhaps Hunter) have DBs in their hip pocket — and also drop lots of the balls that get there. Maybe try to be more “pro-ready,” like Carson Beck or Quinn Ewers. They’re much more comfortable working their progressions from their immaculate pockets, and they’re much more accurate throwing to their wide open receivers, and they just seem to be winners.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agree that it’s not exactly the same situation, although I will just point out that it was on August 18 last year when Rivera (followed quickly by the social medias) came out and “named” Sam the starter for the season. I also recall it being suggested over the course of the offseason that Sam was the guy, but obviously they didn’t feel it was set in stone (if Rivera had to come out and make an announcement).

February 8th 2023, Ron Rivera says, "I know this: We will go into OTAs, minicamp and training camp with Sam Howell more than likely QB1, and we'll see what happens.

February 27th 2023, Ron Rivera says, "Wow this young man is headed in the right direction. We've gotta take a shot early on and find out. So why not put him in the forefront? Why not put this kind of pressure on him right now to see if he can handle it as we move forward."

April 22nd 2023, The Washington Commanders have insisted all offseason that, yes, they really do like quarterback Sam Howell. They didn’t try to trade for an established starter like they did last season, conducting an all-out search. They might draft one, but it’s not a priority.

With the draft less than a week away, it’s worth asking draft experts: Is Washington taking the right approach? Should it look harder at quarterbacks in this draft class? How does Howell compare to this class -- and what did they think of him last year?

Washington viewed Howell as a second- or third-round choice a year ago. It ended up drafting him in the fifth round. The Commanders signed veteran Jacoby Brissett in March after releasing Carson Wentz, but Ron Rivera said that Howell will get the first shot at the starting job this year.

August 19th 2023, Perhaps the worst-kept secret of the Washington Commanders' offseason was made official ... Sam Howell is the starting quarterback.

I mention this timeline to again bring us back to the current timeline.

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

So, we entered the offseason with Sam Howell as our starter (in pencil). It was clear from conversations at the scouting combine and introductions that Howell wasn't going to be the guy. They signed Mariota to a fair deal for a "back-up" level QB. Then traded Howell two days later. At this point Marcus Mariota is your starter (🤮). This all but guarantees we go QB early, which was already a foregone conclusion. When the team gets together for their first workouts of the offseason, Marcus Mariota will be working with the 1st team (🤮). On the 25th, we will very likely hear the name of a QB that will usurp Mariota's position as the starter.

These two situations couldn't be any different. One had a desperate HC pinning all his chips on a young QB to be the guy and never giving the vet QB a chance to "compete". This one the new front office and staff get rid of the only other QB on the roster (no I don't count Fromm) shortly after signing Marcus Mariota. No mention of Mariota being a back-up. The media brought it up several times and only Mariota commented on it. "If I'm called upon to be ready to play, I'm very confident in that and I'm also very confident in my role as a mentor. Whatever this staff [and] whatever this team needs of me, I'm going to do it to the best of my abilities and ultimately try to win games here."

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess the bigger point, though, is that if Brissett was always just a pure backup, and his contract was bigger than Mariota’s — then there’s no particular reason to think Mariota’s contract suggests he’s anything more than that, I would think.

Now, we all know that we will take a QB in the draft, most likely at 2 barring some trade scenario. However the comment about Mariota's contract in comparison to Brissett's isn't an apples to apples situation either. Sure, you can say they both could make a maximum of $10M. Sure you can even say that Brissett had a higher GTD value in $8M as opposed to Mariota's $6M. The difference to me is the situation in its entirety. If we come out of the draft with anything other than a QB at 2 (for the sake of circumstance we can extend that to the top 10), we should expect Mariota to be the starting QB for the next season.

Real question, if both of these scenarios were displayed in front of you and the 2023 season was not played out (say before Howell was "officially named the starting QB), which QB would you give a higher chance to achieve their maximum value of their contracts?

For me, especially with all the smoke about Howell being penciled in as QB1, but it not being written in pen, I would expect Mariota. Now that could change if we draft a QB at 2 and they come out and say "(Insert Draft Pick Here) is our Starting QB", my feelings could change. If I am being fair and honest, that question might be 3 or 4 months premature, but I do feel that Mariota will get closer to his incentives than Brissett ever could have.

If McCarthy is the pick I hope he ends up being a better QB than Daniels or Maye. If he doesn't end up being better than them, then I'll be going after Adam Peters daily bc I wouldn't draft McCarthy in the top 10 if I had the pick.

@e16bball You remain my hero for almost daily writing my thoughts into words better than I could ever do myself.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I will officially go into hiding forever because I know everyone is going to tag me on every bad play 🤣🤣🤣 #Ripgothis guyandhesucks 🤣🤣🤣

I can blast you out a room in the Curmudgeon's cave if you'd like. Will keep it real dark and only let people in to see you if they have a keycard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Maybe smokescreen from us? Keep people guessing as to who we want to grab. See what kind of offers we generate from teams as a result.

• Like 1