The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess he could do those but to me, that's not how I evaluate a QB. I don't care how fast they run, how high they job, or their change of direction. Give me the best passer, or the guy who has the most potential to be the best passer.

There's no reason you can't evaluate both at the same time. We know how athletic Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Anthony Richardson are because they did athletic testing. 

14 minutes ago, taylor made said:

There's no reason you can't evaluate both at the same time. We know how athletic Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Anthony Richardson are because they did athletic testing. 

True, but if you look at the tape you can see Drake Maye has a lot of athleticism & he's strong too. I don't need to know his 40 time or his vert when the tape tells me he's at worst Big Ben athletic.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, but if you look at the tape you can see Drake Maye has a lot of athleticism & he's strong too. I don't need to know his 40 time or his vert when the tape tells me he's at worst Big Ben athletic.

Just like Chase Young had a lot of athleticism. Thing is, you don't know for sure and are guessing and that's fine. I think Drake Maye is athletic but I don't know if he's elite or not. It's hard to tell if a WR runs a 4.3 or a 4.5 when watching tape sometimes, for example. 

22 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Just like Chase Young had a lot of athleticism. Thing is, you don't know for sure and are guessing and that's fine. I think Drake Maye is athletic but I don't know if he's elite or not. It's hard to tell if a WR runs a 4.3 or a 4.5 when watching tape sometimes, for example. 

WTF man, Chase Youg has absolutely nothing to do with Drake Maye. Chase tested off the charts but sadly between injuries & a motor/effort which is inconsistent he hasn't lived uo to his potential. 

Drake Maye just doing the stuff that matters most for a QB in no way is a direct correlation to him for some twisted reason in your mind possibly not being elite.

Maye has the tools, but everyone knows those who become elite & separate themselves are those who study the hardest, work the hardest, study the tape the most, and live & breathe football.

From all accounts, Drake Maye has that, on top of his natural size & ability. Now, if he's the type of guy who won't be outworked studying the playbook, in the film room & putting in the extra work honing his skills and improving his weaknesses then we very well could have a franchise QB if we draft him, but that goes for Caleb, Daniels & 🤮 McCarthy too.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

WTF man, Chase Youg has absolutely nothing to do with Drake Maye. Chase tested off the charts but sadly between injuries & a motor/effort which is inconsistent he hasn't lived uo to his potential. 

Chase Young did not test off the charts - he skipped the combine. You know this. 

7 hours ago, taylor made said:

By all accounts, his last clocked 40 was a 4.6. He already weighed in and was measured at the combine and was nearly 6’5 and 230. I think we have an idea what kind of athlete Maye is. 

I mentioned Ja’Tavion Sanders the other day, but I just got a chance to check out his Pro Day numbers.

Very unimpressive. 8 bench reps, 30 inch vert, 9’6” broad. That comes on top of the 4.32 shuttle and 4.69 40 times, which are both fine but not noteworthy in this day and age. The athletic testing matters for TEs. He was a high-end recruit at one time, and I assumed he must be at least a somewhat explosive athlete. Unless he was hurt…he is not that.

I’ve been headed in this direction for a while, but I think Sinnott is my TE2 in this draft. And it’s a 3rd round grade on him. Very disappointing to have such a giant, gaping hole between Bowers and the next TE. 

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I mentioned Ja’Tavion Sanders the other day, but I just got a chance to check out his Pro Day numbers.

Very unimpressive. 8 bench reps, 30 inch vert, 9’6” broad. That comes on top of the 4.32 shuttle and 4.69 40 times, which are both fine but not noteworthy in this day and age. The athletic testing matters for TEs. He was a high-end recruit at one time, and I assumed he must be at least a somewhat explosive athlete. Unless he was hurt…he is not that.

I’ve been headed in this direction for a while, but I think Sinnott is my TE2 in this draft. And it’s a 3rd round grade on him. Very disappointing to have such a giant, gaping hole between Bowers and the next TE. 

As said in previous posts about B. Sinnott on how well he graded at the Combine. More than that for me is how he catches the ball with such ease and shows he has soft hands. 
It is a weak TE class overall but hope they draft him who I think can be a nice player for us. He can be like a Dawson Knox, with a little better athleticism. 

• Like 1

I know I’m gonna get knocked for this but Daniels misses were all deep passes on the move when he wasn’t in a set base. I’m sorry there’s just too many things and those things show up on tape. He’s not like Russ or Caleb when he’s moving to throw. He’s either a set and throw or take off guy and I don’t think you get better throwing off platform moving. Idk again I’m nitpicking a throwing one on one session but these are things on tape that show up about his ball placement when he isn’t set  in the pocket. I just am not where I was on him at seasons end when I went back and did his all 22 and god he scares the **** out of me I just man I’d let someone else do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Check out the kid from Colorado State. 

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I know I’m gonna get knocked for this but Daniels misses were all deep passes on the move when he wasn’t in a set base. I’m sorry there’s just too many things and those things show up on tape. He’s not like Russ or Caleb when he’s moving to throw. He’s either a set and throw or take off guy and I don’t think you get better throwing off platform moving. Idk again I’m nitpicking a throwing one on one session but these are things on tape that show up about his ball placement when he isn’t set  in the pocket. I just am not where I was on him at seasons end when I went back and did his all 22 and god he scares the **** out of me I just man I’d let someone else do it. 

His anticipation and rhythm didn't seem great to me if I am being honest. I feel like the media is doing so much to sell Jayden Daniels that I am skeptical. Let me be clear, I like the kid. I'd like him more on other teams if I am being honest. He's not the type of QB I would want to set my foundational rebuild on. I mean one good offensive year and Kingsbury will be in those talks again and then we're stuck holding the bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

To go along with what you were saying, not a great showing, however I'm still on the JaTavion Sanders is TE2 train. I think Sinnott has closed the gap on him a little and the gap between him and Bowers is even bigger now.

I think JaTavion is the second best receiving/In-Line TE and it's not really close. He is very sure handed and his short to intermediate route running is very good, IMO. I think he has a lot of Travis Kelce qualities as a reliable safety blanket but also could surprise people and take off for a big gain. 

I would be comfortable still taking Sanders in the early 3rd or even trading down in the 2nd and taking him in the 50-64 range. 

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s not like Russ or Caleb when he’s moving to throw. He’s either a set and throw or take off guy and I don’t think you get better throwing off platform moving.

This is my biggest objection with Daniels, more than the body type. 

He’s a great thrower from a clean pocket when his mechanics can be clean. And he throws a fantastic deep ball when he can set his feet and deliver it, extremely accurate. 

But when the calling card is mobility, and you see so few throws on the move — it’s concerning. It’s not that he can’t do it, there are some great throws on the move over the course of the season, but it’s clear that he’s very much at his best as a thrower when he doesn’t have to move off his spot at all. Which is a little bit of an unusual thing for a guy who runs that well. 

• Like 1