The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

I really dislike the fact that the media is operating like it’s just a done deal and Daniels is going two. I don’t understand what happened from the time the season ended until now? How did he suddenly become a better prospect than Maye? So much so that it’s being treated as a forgone conclusion. Rich Eisen has a thing now that he wants us to start him day one. He’s not on the roster lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

All of Jayden Daniels throws from his Pro Day (haven't watched, will edit with my thoughts)

Whew, with the second pick in the draft !

Nice release. compact, smooth, no wasted motion, no big wind up. Sweet ! He threw all Spirals ! long a few deep balls and under on a couple . Receiver had to slow up. Overall very very nice .. Can't wait to see Drake Maye's film .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOUCAN said:

His anticipation and rhythm didn't seem great to me if I am being honest. I feel like the media is doing so much to sell Jayden Daniels that I am skeptical. Let me be clear, I like the kid. I'd like him more on other teams if I am being honest. He's not the type of QB I would want to set my foundational rebuild on. I mean one good offensive year and Kingsbury will be in those talks again and then we're stuck holding the bag.

I agree other than the fact I think our best offinsive mind is about 2 coaches away from being OC behind Kingsberry and Smith. I really really like our QB coach. That said I agree with all that about Daniels. And it’s not just because I love JJ because Daniels was the guy I was leaning towards at seasons end. Always like JJ but never went back to scout. Just moreso watched him as a fan took notes then after the natty I was every game because I do final reports each year so i don’t watch previous years again and every season JJ hit the marks I set for him from season to season for his biggest knocks to improve.

And because I like JJ and am willing to let him sit we’ve just never had a QB with Prototype size that wasn’t a statue. Which is why after breaking them all down once I finished Daniels Maye became my 3 though he has my biggest pet peev for QB’s. His feet. I hated Haskins and Sam’s sucked. I worry about Maye but I’d sit him as well. Both JJ or Maye would sit the first 6 games this season. And yes I get that means I have to watch the worse most college QB I loathed on tape for however many games so be it. Daniels just scares me. I watched RG a ton and back in that day I loved how tough he was in the pocket holding to throw a guy open and taking a hit and delivering a strike. But Jayden even being a better pocket guy by miles isn’t that guy. He’s a fearless runner but it’s not really fearlessness he’s not situationally aware. And for all the runner stuff he doesn’t run to throw and as I said about his pro day when he’s sliding to avoid pressure for as good of a passer as he is for a runner he doesn’t throw that great moving unless it’s a lob ball in open space and the NFL is about windows. I’ll route for him!!! But I’d prefer the player we take that maybe needs alittle more development and give them that then the guy who’s more developed who has a play style that we’ve seen cut short here because of the same exact flaws. Trust me I want those 9-12 RG years we all got stripped of just as bad as the next person. But I’ve said this before here and I’ll say it again. I know everybody thinks Williams is the gem. And I know it’s hard too see but I would take JJ number one job on the line. I think he has everything it takes to be a true professional QB on and off the field. He might not be exciting from the gate. But most of the best QB’s develop over time because their addicted to the process and love the game. The way JJ carried himself at Michigan I believe he’s that type of human. 

34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I really dislike the fact that the media is operating like it’s just a done deal and Daniels is going two. I don’t understand what happened from the time the season ended until now? How did he suddenly become a better prospect than Maye? So much so that it’s being treated as a forgone conclusion. Rich Eisen has a thing now that he wants us to start him day one. He’s not on the roster lol

So is every fan on Washington’s fan pages. I think DQ calling Daniels a game changer has put the dial that direction. I’m not sold and don’t believe he’d give bland answers for every player then give such a telling answer for one if they were seriously seriously focusing that way it would be a huge blunder

• Like 1

Hello Brothers, since I last posted Snyder has sold the team, banished to his super yacht off the coast of Normandy and looking to buy a premier team in that sport known as soccer, but will probably have to settle for championship league.   Exciting times with a new owner, GM and coach that have a successful track record. Who will be QB1 for Redskins? This one is really tough! Let me get your thoughts on a few scenarios:

1. Trade number 2 and DT Allen for number 1 and take the USC kid? I watched a lot of him and he’s really good when he has excellent protection. Is he a no brainer? I don’t think so as he’s no mahomes 

2. take the LSU RG3 clone? I don’t think he will last 8 games with the hits he seeks out and takes. You can’t draft him in my opinion. 

3. The UNC kid- he is as close as a comp to Herbert with a sprinkle of Farve thrown in. My favorite QB in the draft 

4. trade back to 4 and take McCarthy? Now this one if really interesting as you could get a 2 or even a 1 next year and still take him. But do you want Daniel Jones 2.0? I don’t 

ok brothers- bring it on. 

and Happy Easter brothers! 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

All of Jayden Daniels throws from his Pro Day (haven't watched, will edit with my thoughts)

Was going to edit, but I'll just put my thoughts in another post. 

Ok it was reported he went 52 of 56 and I counted 5 sure fire misses with another possible depending on if the WR caught the ball in bounds with two feet. So by my count maybe 50 of 56. 

Of those 6 misses they were as follows 

1. Shotgun formation, with simulated pressure, 12-yard comeback, left side of the field, out of the reach of WR. 

2. Shotgun formation, roll out to the right, deep flag route, possibly out of bounds, receiver caught the ball.

3. Shotgun formation, 20 yard slant in-out to sideline route, left side of the field, out of the reach of WR.

4. Under center, with simulated pressure, deep flag route, right side of the field, out of the reach of the WR.

5.  Shotgun formation, go route, left side of the field, overthrow/out of the reach of WR.

6. Under center, play action with simulated pressure, deep middle seam route, overthrow/out of the reach of WR.

Of the 56 throws, 41 were from Shotgun and 15 were under center. 

His footwork looked good the whole scripted performance. His throwing motion was smoothe. He had a nice spiral and some of his deeper throws hung in the air too long/WRs had to slow down. He looked very comfortable with short and intermediate throws. His play action is decent, but not super convincing. His deep ball leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Hello Brothers, since I last posted Snyder has sold the team, banished to his super yacht off the coast of Normandy and looking to buy a premier team in that sport known as soccer, but will probably have to settle for championship league.   Exciting times with a new owner, GM and coach that have a successful track record. Who will be QB1 for Redskins? This one is really tough! Let me get your thoughts on a few scenarios:

1. Trade number 2 and DT Allen for number 1 and take the USC kid? I watched a lot of him and he’s really good when he has excellent protection. Is he a no brainer? I don’t think so as he’s no mahomes 

2. take the LSU RG3 clone? I don’t think he will last 8 games with the hits he seeks out and takes. You can’t draft him in my opinion. 

3. The UNC kid- he is as close as a comp to Herbert with a sprinkle of Farve thrown in. My favorite QB in the draft 

4. trade back to 4 and take McCarthy? Now this one if really interesting as you could get a 2 or even a 1 next year and still take him. But do you want Daniel Jones 2.0? I don’t 

Very glad to see you post again. Welcome back!

My issue with JJ McCarthy is he's the biggest enigma of the top 4 QB prospects. I get that he has good feet, he's 6’3, 220 & he throws a beautiful ball with power when he needs to and touch when he needs to but he was in an offense that relied on the run game so much that it rarely showcased him so, if you're scouting him now you're basically doing all projection which is worrisome.

JJ basically was asked to do what Taylor Heinicke did for us in 2021 & 22 or Ryan Tannehill did for the Titans in the pros but all JJ did was do that in college. I don't think that's worth the #2 pick. He just has not shown enough to me to warrant the pick. JJ didnt even had a 3500 yard plus season in college or a 30 TD season.

And I know Harbaugh didn't make him throw a lot but that's also a red flag to me bc if you really believed in your QB, you'd have him throwing the ball more than 25 times a game.

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Why would you trade #2 & Jon Allen for the #1 pick when Drake Maye is your favorite QB in the draft? In that case, you stay out and take your guy at #2.

Also, I don't think Chicago is trading the #1 pick. They traded Fields away bc they want to draft Caleb Williams.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I really dislike the fact that the media is operating like it’s just a done deal and Daniels is going two. 

Ok maybe I was a little too tough on JJ. He's a leader, a winner, 5 tool guy, with a pretty girlfriend and hair on his *** ( a little moneyball scouting) I just hate how everybody in NE saying he’s Tom Brady 2.0 but with a better arm and speed :) he could very easily be the best or second best QB from this draft 6 years down the line. 

Edited by Doc Draper

24 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I worry that J J = Mac Jones .

Mac Jones had the slim reaper and Waddle. I’ll say this again and again; name one 1st round weapon JJ had compared to all the other system QB’s. Again for as Super Team as Michigan was this past year they really do have the least amount of top end talent I’ve ever seen for the teams they’ve been comped too. 

I think it’s funny that JJ gets called a system guy when he clearly elevated the system from the system guys they continuously lost to OSU with and never went too the playoffs with. The kid was 5 star he’s got the arm the legs and better yet he has dealt with NFL level distractions since college with NIL and the sideline taping. Not trying to change anyone’s opinions but it’s pretty clear this guys different. Harbough had zero playoffs pre JJ with better defenses and better weapons. He had 0 OSU wins. And name the last Michigan QB to beat OSU 3 times? Much less name any QB who’s beat OSU 3 times

Edited by ripsean21