The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

38 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Thats kinda how the league is it feels like.

Agree with this, especially when it comes to us (as the top prize for these QBs in the non-Caleb division). 

Kingsbury was something like 90% of his snaps out of the shotgun with Kyler. And then you’ve got other teams who are seeking, like MIN and NYG, who have sat at something like 2/3 of their snaps in shotgun. Hard to say for sure what Van Pelt will do in NE, given that he was basically just a figurehead OC under Stefanski, but CLE was about 2/3 in the shotgun last year. DEN is probably the one team that’s an even split between the two.

Probably hard to justify spending too much time trying to focus on taking snaps under center when that’s never going to be a priority for the teams looking at drafting you. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agree with this, especially when it comes to us (as the top prize for these QBs in the non-Caleb division). 

Kingsbury was something like 90% of his snaps out of the shotgun with Kyler. And then you’ve got other teams who are seeking, like MIN and NYG, who have sat at something like 2/3 of their snaps in shotgun. Hard to say for sure what Van Pelt will do in NE, given that he was basically just a figurehead OC under Stefanski, but CLE was about 2/3 in the shotgun last year. DEN is probably the one team that’s an even split between the two.

Probably hard to justify spending too much time trying to focus on taking snaps under center when that’s never going to be a priority for the teams looking at drafting you. 

I think shotgun is a product of what Kyler needs to scan the field quickly. Him under center he’s not going to even see his guys until his second into third step. And it is much more common but I do think all the teams you mentioned also aren’t teams that have a physical element too the run game and I think come playoffs if you can’t run physically your short

6 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Wish I could find the link but I saw where Brock Bowers may fall out of the top 15, assuming the price is right I know we need a tackle but……. Super tempting 

He's a little small but he's a very good blocker and of course dude can catch

40 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

My thoughts to come.

I counted 74 throws during his scheduled session with 6 being incomplete. I was actually really happy to see that he took 46 reps from "under center" and 28 from shotgun. His throwing motion was not consistent or great throughout. His footwork was also not great, but I only saw one through that I believe it really impacted. His arm strength is very, very good.

I was not impressed at all with the gimmick throws off his back foot and the like. Not only were those throws not accurate, but they would have a much higher chance to be backbreaking plays. Its awesome that you can throw 40+ yards off your back foot, I'm sure EVERY coach doesn't want to see you do it in a game setting.

That does not undermine, what I thought was a very good, efficient pro day. His play actions were believable. I liked that he had a mix of 3, 5 and 7 step drops from under center as that showed that he cared enough to give a wide range of examples. His rollouts were under control and and felt he squared his shoulders nicely when driving the ball.

I felt that a few of his passes got away from him and there were a couple flat out drops (by the same receiver) that show that his talent at the receiver position was not the best. Something that probably isn't shared by others, but on one particular throw (his second incomplete) the ball got away from him on the right sideline, I liked that when he missed that throw, no one was going to catch it, it was airmailed. If that had happened over the middle, it would likely have been intercepted, but on sideline throws, I would rather they miss high than low/wide.

Of his 6 misses they were as follows

1. Shotgun Formation, slant route, right side of the field, throw was slightly behind but catchable, receiver dropped the ball. (Tez Walker)

2. Shotgun Formation, simulated pressure, 10 yard out (WR didn't pivot in a line instead looped to about 12 yards), right side of the field, ball airmailed out of play completely uncatchable.

3. Shotgun Formation, simulated pressure, 10 yard out (WR didn't pivot in a line instead looped to about 12 yards), right side of the field, ball on target WR dropped the ball. (Same receiver as incomplete #2)

4. Shotgun Formation, play action, 7 yard slant route, left side of the field, release did not look clean and ball drifted inside, not a tight spiral, WR seemed to expect the ball closer to his body and didn't run through the route, could have caught the ball IMO. (Same receiver as incomplete #1, #2)

5. Shotgun Formation, 20 yard comeback route, left side of the field, Footwork and release were awful. Ball fluttered out of bounds, completely uncatchable. Easily his worst throw the day. (Tez Walker target)

6. Shotgun Formation, Goalline setting, Possibly a whip route to corner of endzone, right side of field, camera angle does not show what happened. (Tez Walker target)

All-in-all, I came away pretty impressed with this performance. I can see some of the things that @lavar703 and others are talking about with the young man.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Wish I could find the link but I saw where Brock Bowers may fall out of the top 15, assuming the price is right I know we need a tackle but……. Super tempting 

This is a big reason I really wish they’d bring in a viable LT prior to the draft. That’s really the only gaping hole remaining on the roster — there are lots of position that could be upgraded, of course, but I think they’re all at least “workable” except LT. It would be great to feel free to prioritize talent over need, without fretting about the new QB getting mauled due to an incompetent blindside protector.

It’d probably cost both 36 and 40, but if a guy who sits top 5-10 on their board falls to something like 15 or 16, it could get really interesting to move up for a second possible blue-chip player. Maybe that’s an OT, but it could also be someone like Bowers or Odunze or Turner/Verse. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I saw something funny with a Dan Orlovsky vid on Daniels. He loves Daniels. Has him as the top QB in the draft. Anyway, he’s talking about this play where Daniels reads the two safeties and the disguised coverage but he totally avoids the stone freaking wall in front of Daniels that isn’t letting one iota of pressure from Auburns defense. The blocking is so good that it’s almost jarring. He just stands there with all the time in the world and delivers a dart. Beautiful throw no doubt but man, his offensive line is nuts. 

And with NIL, we’re going to continue these super teams so box score scouting isn’t going to cut it.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

To go along with what you were saying, not a great showing, however I'm still on the JaTavion Sanders is TE2 train. I think Sinnott has closed the gap on him a little and the gap between him and Bowers is even bigger now.

I think JaTavion is the second best receiving/In-Line TE and it's not really close. He is very sure handed and his short to intermediate route running is very good, IMO. I think he has a lot of Travis Kelce qualities as a reliable safety blanket but also could surprise people and take off for a big gain. 

I would be comfortable still taking Sanders in the early 3rd or even trading down in the 2nd and taking him in the 50-64 range. 

TE is a tricky position, I think. Because it’s one of the few where you kinda have to ignore your eyes and give so much weight to the athletic profile. There really aren’t any high-end TEs in the league at this point who didn’t prove themselves to be elite athletes during the draft process.

A good, though melancholy, example for me is Michael Mayer — who I absolutely loved from the first minute I watched him at Notre Dame. Very mediocre athletic profile drove him down the board, and he ended up being substantially less successful as a rookie than both Kincaid and LaPorta (who both went ahead of him, for mostly that reason).

I think a TE needs at least some special physical trait to have high-end upside — whether that’s size or speed or explosion or agility or strength. Sanders doesn’t really have any of that. I think he looks like a fine player on the college film, but I also think he’d have to be a very gifted technician/receiver/blocker to overcome the lack of physical tools.

Overall, though, I think TE behind Bowers is basically just a big jumble. I personally would prefer to bet on physical tools — except for Theo Johnson — but I also wouldn’t be upset if they took a shot on Sanders in the 3rd. He was a pretty good player on a good offense, I think there’s a good chance he’s at least a useable NFL player.

• Like 2