The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Caleb Williams

Marvin Harrison Jr

Drake Maye

Olumuyiwa Fashanu

Brock Bowers

Joe Alt

It seems kind of likely these are the 1st 6 players to go in some order unless something happens to change it. 
If we don’t have a top 6 pick, what do you do if these are the picks. 
Depending on the new regime, will a QB be in play and they’ll try to move up. It will depend on how they view SH. 
Going to be real interesting on how the draft will be handled. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Caleb Williams

Marvin Harrison Jr

Drake Maye

Olumuyiwa Fashanu

Brock Bowers

Joe Alt

It seems kind of likely these are the 1st 6 players to go in some order unless something happens to change it. 
If we don’t have a top 6 pick, what do you do if these are the picks. 
Depending on the new regime, will a QB be in play and they’ll try to move up. It will depend on how they view SH. 
Going to be real interesting on how the draft will be handled. 

Fuaga

Washington Receives: 2024: Round 1, Pick 9 2024: Round 2, Pick 40
Green Bay Receives: 2024: Round 1, Pick 7 2025: Round 3

#9 Brock Bowers TE | Georgia
#37 Kingsley Suamataia OT | BYU
#39 Barrett Carter LB | Clemson
#40 Kamren Kinchens S | Miami (FL)
#71 Sedrick Van Pran IOL | Georgia
#100 Donovan Jackson IOL | Ohio State
#107 Mar'Keise Irving RB | Oregon
#143 Jordan Travis QB | Florida State
#184 Gabriel Murphy EDGE | UCLA
#226 Ja'Quan Sheppard CB | Maryland

• Like 1

10. WR Rome Odunze, WASHINGTON

Odunze brings top-tier size, speed and strength to the receiver position. He has consistently dominated at the catch point this season and can reportedly run 4.3-4.4 at around 215 pounds courtesy of PFF. I have watched most of Wash U's games and this guy is a stud! Put him with McLaurin and Dotson and we have a new posse lol

1 hour ago, TKellion said:

10. WR Rome Odunze, WASHINGTON

Odunze brings top-tier size, speed and strength to the receiver position. He has consistently dominated at the catch point this season and can reportedly run 4.3-4.4 at around 215 pounds courtesy of PFF. I have watched most of Wash U's games and this guy is a stud! Put him with McLaurin and Dotson and we have a new posse lol

I definitely love what I see from him too. I am still mostly all in on the Malachi Corley wagon for where he might go and what I think he can do, but Odunze is top notch potential too.

Since we’re posting “heart’s desire” draft plans, here’s what I’m thinking. 

First of all, I’m still set on the “shift back to 3-4” plan. With that in mind, my goal would be to sign a high-end 3-4 OLB in FA as our big prize, as well as a quality ILB to play alongside Jamin. I really like Frankie Luvu as a player, though he’s also a little undersized compared to the traditional 3-4 ILB. 

Then in the draft.

TRADE: Pick 7 to IND for pick 11 and pick 75

IND is seeking whoever they deem WR2, Coleman or Nabers or Odunze. 

11. OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

I really like Amarius Mims and his upside, but Fuara is a plug-and-play powerhouse at RT. He’s got good feet and heavy hands, and he seems to connect with his target in the run game with more consistency than Mims.

TRADE: Pick 37 and pick 71 to SEA for pick 25

SEA loves to trade down, and they can put themselves into a better position to address LB and safety, which seem like hot spots for them.

25. OLB Chop Robinson, Penn State

Theres a surprising amount of EDGE talent in this draft, and I think someone is going to fall. Robinson just isn’t as efficient at this point as guys like Turner, Verse, Latu, etc. But he’s got big upside with his physical tools, and I think we could take a gamble on that.

39. OG Zak Zinter, Michigan

I think he’s a really high-end guard prospect, another guy who always seems to make good contact with this target. He is strong and quick, and I can very easily see him stepping in at LG from day one.

75. DT T’Vondre Sweat, Texas

Some people really have him climbing the board at the moment, but I think that’s a little excess helium for him. He’s a huge man with some agility, sort of a very poor man’s Dexter Lawrence or regular poor man’s Jordan Davis, maybe. He’d be a part-time NT for us out of the box, and I’d be very intrigued to see if he could develop into more.

100. WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

He’s a personal favorite, so get used to seeing him at this spot. I think injury history and (maybe unfounded?) skepticism about his athleticism will drive him down the board a bit. But he can play. He constantly stands out on the UGA film.

Edited by e16bball

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

First of all, I’m still set on the “shift back to 3-4” plan. With that in mind, my goal would be to sign a high-end 3-4 OLB in FA as our big prize, as well as a quality ILB to play alongside Jamin. I really like Frankie Luvu as a player, though he’s also a little undersized compared to the traditional 3-4 ILB. 

Then in the draft.

I really like Amarius Mims and his upside, but Fuara is a plug-and-play powerhouse at RT. He’s got good feet and heavy hands, and he seems to connect with his target in the run game with more consistency than Mims.

SEA loves to trade down, and they can put themselves into a better position to address LB and safety, which seem like hot spots for them.

Theres a surprising amount of EDGE talent in this draft, and I think someone is going to fall. Robinson just isn’t as efficient at this point as guys like Turner, Verse, Latu, etc. But he’s got big upside with his physical tools, and I think we could take a gamble on that.

I think he’s a really high-end guard prospect, another guy who always seems to make good contact with this target. He is strong and quick, and I can very easily see him stepping in at LG from day one.

Some people really have him climbing the board at the moment, but I think that’s a little excess helium for him. He’s a huge man with some agility, sort of a very poor man’s Dexter Lawrence or regular poor man’s Jordan Davis, maybe. He’d be a part-time NT for us out of the box, and I’d be very intrigued to see if he could develop into more.

He’s a personal favorite, so get used to seeing him at this spot. I think injury history and (maybe unfounded?) skepticism about his athleticism will drive him down the board a bit. But he can play. He constantly stands out on the UGA film.

I absolutely love the idea of Chop here!!! Like the draft overall butbiblove that pick!!

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

Then in the draft.

Why the switch back to 3-4? Are we just giving up on Mathis? I’d probably flip the DT pick to a TE.

54 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why the switch back to 3-4? Are we just giving up on Mathis? I’d probably flip the DT pick to a TE.

I guess the most concise explanation for that move is that I think we’re looking for two new starting EDGE players, and I think it’s easier in today’s NFL to find 3-4 OLBs than it is to find legitimate two-way 4-3 DE types.

There are so many more teams in 4-3 base defenses at present that I think there’s a tremendous demand for those relatively rare players who can put their hands in the dirt and capably tangle with OTs in the run game and bend the edge as a pass-rusher. I think the price for Sweat (both trade and contract) really brought that home for me — he’s a very good player but certainly not a superstar. 

I also think the true 4-3 MIKE is a rare commodity in today’s game, and I just (once again) don’t see a good avenue for us to add such a player this offseason based on the players that currently project to be available.

In short, I think we’re in a position where the pieces we do already have are probably similar fits in either a 3-4 or 4-3, and I think it’ll be easier for us to add the needed personnel for a 3-4 base alignment. 

• Like 2

Oh, and I don’t intend to give up on Mathis. I think he could probably profile as either a 5-tech or a NT (especially if they’re looking for a one-gap scheme).

But we’re more than 1.5 years into our 4 years of team control, and we’re still waiting to see any kind of breakthrough from him. At some point, the train has to keep moving forward, and it certainly can’t stop moving because of Phidarian Mathis. 

48 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Oh, and I don’t intend to give up on Mathis. I think he could probably profile as either a 5-tech or a NT (especially if they’re looking for a one-gap scheme).

But we’re more than 1.5 years into our 4 years of team control, and we’re still waiting to see any kind of breakthrough from him. At some point, the train has to keep moving forward, and it certainly can’t stop moving because of Phidarian Mathis. 

Justin Jones DT/Bears and Tim Settle DT/Bills who are both UFA in 2024, think they could serve as the middleman of that 3-4 defense. Both still young enough. Maybe?