The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yikes, this is the RG3 hero ball crap that scares me about Daniels. 

IMO, no horse in the race, I think sliding that particular situation ends up really bad for him. The DT to his right launches himself at Daniels knees, if he slides, he is likely dealing with a concussion and the DT is ejected for targeting. 

As I didn't watch this game and am unfamiliar with this play, does anyone know if he got hurt on this play or missed any time?

I'm not advocating for him to hurdle into a pile of defenders, but the result almost seems best case scenario if he didn't get injured. In my mind he gets knocked out of the game if he slides there. 

19 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

As I didn't watch this game and am unfamiliar with this play, does anyone know if he got hurt on this play or missed any time?

He did not miss any time. I don’t know whether he got hurt — he was pretty unimpressive in this game after this hit, but he was also pretty unimpressive before this hit. So think he was fine, physically, after getting blasted.

It was the next week, when he lit up Grambling, that the light bulb seemed to come on and he started dominating people.

I will note that he did leave multiple games after this with injuries. But one of those was a concussion that was the result of a pretty cheap hit in/near the pocket by Dallas Turner, so it’s hard to blame his play style for that one. Just his small frame (and enormous head)?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He did not miss any time. I don’t know whether he got hurt — he was pretty unimpressive in this game after this hit, but he was also pretty unimpressive before this hit. So think he was fine, physically, after getting blasted.

It was the next week, when he lit up Grambling, that the light bulb seemed to come on and he started dominating people.

I will note that he did leave multiple games after this with injuries. But one of those was a concussion that was the result of a pretty cheap hit in/near the pocket by Dallas Turner, so it’s hard to blame his play style for that one. Just his small frame (and enormous head)?

With our projected offensive line, whatever rookie QB we play will definitely be running for their lives. Hope the staff can figure out something to protect whatever young man they get.

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

With our projected offensive line, whatever rookie QB we play will definitely be running for their lives. Hope the staff can figure out something to protect whatever young man they get.

Projected- ? we sure get ahead of ourselves . We have 5 picks in the top 100 . and still time to sign cuts and free agents . Chill 😋

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Projected- ? we sure get ahead of ourselves . We have 5 picks in the top 100 . and still time to sign cuts and free agents . Chill 😋

By all accounts, the decision makers have stated (through media outlets) they are comfortable with Lucas/Scott battling it out at LT.

Absolutely could add some help in the draft, but unless we trade up for an OT, we aren't likely to get a day 1 starter, IMO. I believe there are 10 day 1 starters (not all LTs) as well, they just will all most likely go in the 1st round. 

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

By all accounts, the decision makers have stated (through media outlets) they are comfortable with Lucas/Scott battling it out at LT.

Absolutely could add some help in the draft, but unless we trade up for an OT, we aren't likely to get a day 1 starter, IMO. I believe there are 10 day 1 starters (not all LTs) as well, they just will all most likely go in the 1st round. 

I'm trying to be patient and give Peters the benefit of doubt.  New era right . We'll see . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm trying to be patient and give Peters the benefit of doubt.  New era right . We'll see . 

I mean, I knew he couldn't fix the mess that Ron Rivera left overnight. I expect us to be truly competitive in year 3. I think he has made huge gains (and Mariota 🤮)so far this offseason. Hopefully we can sign someone like Becton or Bakhtiari to an incentive laden one-year deal and they can be healthy enough to give us solid play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

IMO, no horse in the race, I think sliding that particular situation ends up really bad for him. The DT to his right launches himself at Daniels knees, if he slides, he is likely dealing with a concussion and the DT is ejected for targeting. 

I'm not advocating for him to hurdle into a pile of defenders, but the result almost seems best case scenario if he didn't get injured. In my mind he gets knocked out of the game if he slides there. 

My main concern with him - as it was with RG3 in 2012 - is the decision. Why did he go airborne? Why jump?

This just concerns me the most about him. Now Maye doesn't do it every time - he has some hero attitude too instead of protecting himself - but I've seen Drake Maye slide.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Do you think the current oline is better or worse overall than last year?

You think 10 OL will go in R1? That's unlikely IMO. It's provable that one of Mims, Jordan, Barton & Paul are available for us at #36 or more than 1 of them. 

• Like 2

Just now, offbyone said:

Do you think the current oline is better or worse overall than last year?

I would definitely take this offensive line over last year's. I would also like to substantiate that by saying last year's was on a breakneck pace for being one of the worst in history. 

To quantify that, if our line received a rating out of 10 last year it would probably be a 2/10. At this point I could see us getting a 4 or 5/10, which while better than last year is still suboptimal. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My main concern with him - as it was with RG3 in 2012 - is the decision. Why did he go airborne? Why jump?

This just concerns me the most about him. Now Maye doesn't do it every time - he has some hero attitude too instead of protecting himself - but I've seen Drake Maye slide.

Again, if you watch the video, a defender is diving at his legs. If he slides he likely gets hit with a targeting-style tackle. If he just takes the hit, maybe an acl is blown. I'm not advocating for a QB to hurdle like that, but I see that as a likely best case scenario if he didn't end up hurt. 

I mean, I knew he couldn't fix the mess that Ron Rivera left overnight. I expect us to be truly competitive in year 3. I think he has made huge gains (and Mariota 🤮)so far this offseason. Hopefully we can sign someone like Becton or Bakhtiari to an incentive laden one-year deal and they can be healthy enough to give us solid play. 

Andre Dillard & Donovan Smith are still out there too. 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You think 10 OL will go in R1? That's unlikely IMO. It's provable that one of Mims, Jordan, Barton & Paul are available for us at #36 or more than 1 of them. 

Not 10 OL, 10 OTs. 

I'm still pretty solid on this stance as well. Whether they draft a college OT and slide them inside to OG I don't care. This is a very talented OT group. 

Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Mims, Latham, Guyton, Fautanu, Morgan, Suamataia and Amegadjie are all instant starters at tackle IMO. 

That doesn't include Barton who I am pretty sure will slide inside to Guard. Fautanu may slide inside as well, but I think he can be successful at Tackle. Paul, Fisher and Puni could all end up going in the 2nd as well for a total of 13 OTs in the first 60 picks. 

• Like 1