The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

As we all know i just want the right player ultimately. Personally thatswho i believe is the right player. I dont want the popular pick. I want the right pick!!! Idc about being happycomethepick like we always are. I want the player that has intangibles and the skillset. We all wanted Chase before the draft then ultimately it wasnt right. Just because the media ranks someone somewhere does t mean that player is better then someone ranked below because interviews work ethic and the way a player gels a team matter most. I know i have a ton of unpopular takes on guys through the draft process but what i saw throughout his career is a guy that brought everything together for a team that was missi g what he brought to the table prior to him. I want that for this team. Theres a reasonhesbeing talkedup withall the other guys despite not having their numbers. Because as we know QB way more then just numbers matter to sustain sucesss in the league. Hes the only QB we saw in the biggest moments lead his team too the pinnacle. Like we givecertain guys passes for not having weapons why doesnt he get one? And we talk about his super team but i just dont see it!!! burrows LSU team was stacked!!! We didnt knock him. And nobody on Michiganwillgo as high as multiple players asthat LSU team. Like this dude isnt a trailer!!! Yesthey are a runfirst teambut he made the throws!! No teamat that level without having a Georgia type team around them and im sorry Michigan doesnt have a roster and its obvioud Michigan doesnt have a roster like thos Georgia teams just look at where those players were getting picked 

We're seriously going with the "Michigan doesn't really have that good of a roster" take here? He won a National Championship handing the ball off. He's Jimmy Garappolo. If they pick him over Maye and Daniels I will have no faith for this group anymore. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

We're seriously going with the "Michigan doesn't really have that good of a roster" take here? He won a National Championship handing the ball off. He's Jimmy Garappolo. If they pick him over Maye and Daniels I will have no faith for this group anymore. 

Im not saying they dont have a good roster thwy do as does every national title roster. But name the stars. Because georgia has a ton. Bama had a ton. Yes Michigan has a ton of depth and players that will be drafted but where are the jalen caters and the jordan Davis and Bowers and so on and so on? Where are the Waddles, Smiths, and every defender drafted? Like Michigan has had stars and still not come close with peppers and others. If you dont prefer JJ to others i get it its the eye of the beholder. But if all he had to do was hand the ball off then why wasnt Michigan therebefore him with better players in pivital roles with the same coach and even better stars? Like i know you love Drake and hes a heck of a talent. But JJ is right there and it shows on tape when he moves and throws. They both were 5 star for a reason. But one has better feet and one elevated his team and one didnt. Like we can say oh he had no help but the truth is winners win. Beating OSU 3 times in a row doesnt just happen handing the ball off. Winning against bama doesnt happen without QB play just handing it off. Its okay to have a preference. But to disreguard someones accomplishments bwcause he isnt your flavoris how you miss. Luckily i think we have the ingredients for whichever player we take to thrive long term with what i believe Peters will do in the draft and FA moving forward and the staff we have to cultivate system and develop players they dring in

21 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But name the stars.

They're about to potentially set a record for players drafted. Just because they may not have as many "stars" as others, they were obviously loaded with NFL talent. They're looking at what, at least 7 guys between Day 1 and 2. How many teams have that?

McCarthy, Stain, Corum, Zinter, Jenkins, Colson, Wilson? 7 dudes in the top 100 or so is nothing to sneeze at. 

37 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Im not saying they dont have a good roster thwy do as does every national title roster. But name the stars. Because georgia has a ton. Bama had a ton. Yes Michigan has a ton of depth and players that will be drafted but where are the jalen caters and the jordan Davis and Bowers and so on and so on? Where are the Waddles, Smiths, and every defender drafted? Like Michigan has had stars and still not come close with peppers and others. If you dont prefer JJ to others i get it its the eye of the beholder. But if all he had to do was hand the ball off then why wasnt Michigan therebefore him with better players in pivital roles with the same coach and even better stars? Like i know you love Drake and hes a heck of a talent. But JJ is right there and it shows on tape when he moves and throws. They both were 5 star for a reason. But one has better feet and one elevated his team and one didnt. Like we can say oh he had no help but the truth is winners win. Beating OSU 3 times in a row doesnt just happen handing the ball off. Winning against bama doesnt happen without QB play just handing it off. Its okay to have a preference. But to disreguard someones accomplishments bwcause he isnt your flavoris how you miss. Luckily i think we have the ingredients for whichever player we take to thrive long term with what i believe Peters will do in the draft and FA moving forward and the staff we have to cultivate system and develop players they dring in

Bro Colston Loveland might be better than Brock Bowers lol. Blake Corum might've been the best RB in college football last year. Donovan Edwards is a star. Roman Wilson. Zak Zinter. These are just the names I know off the top of my head. 

McCarthy had 12-games where he attempted less than 30 passes. Not completed but attempted. If you include his 2022 season that is a total of 23 games out of 29 where he attempted less than 30 passes. He threw for 300 yards THREE TIMES in 29 games. THREE. He also has a horrible habit of running out of a perfect pocket. He is constantly throwing on the run. You can sell me on Jayden Daniels being a top 5 pick. I am absolutely smitten with Maye because he's just better but there is simply no way you can tell me JJ shouldered the load at Michigan and had to do things the others didn't. He was a piece of a championship team. Not THE piece. Also, I have no clue how we can beat up Daniels over his frame and then simultaneously be okay with JJ?

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

They're about to potentially set a record for players drafted. Just because they may not have as many "stars" as others, they were obviously loaded with NFL talent. They're looking at what, at least 7 guys between Day 1 and 2. How many teams have that?

McCarthy, Stain, Corum, Zinter, Jenkins, Colson, Wilson? 7 dudes in the top 100 or so is nothing to sneeze at. 

And i understand thats talent. But again to say they are super talented when other teams do 7-8 and they typically send half in the top frame yeah theres a different level. Im not saying they arent talented. Rhey have to be to win it all. But to go perfect and be in the playoffs the year before you arent masking a QB that much withouy having those top tier blue chip guys and while they do have a ton of really good players they arent sitting here with the types of rosters that have maskrd QB’s and thats all im saying. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Bro Colston Loveland might be better than Brock Bowers lol. Blake Corum might've been the best RB in college football last year. Donovan Edwards is a star. Roman Wilson. Zak Zinter. These are just the names I know off the top of my head. 

McCarthy had 12-games where he attempted less than 30 passes. Not completed but attempted. If you include his 2022 season that is a total of 23 games out of 29 where he attempted less than 30 passes. He threw for 300 yards THREE TIMES in 29 games. THREE. He also has a horrible habit of running out of a perfect pocket. He is constantly throwing on the run. You can sell me on Jayden Daniels being a top 5 pick. I am absolutely smitten with Maye because he's just better but there is simply no way you can tell me JJ shouldered the load at Michigan and had to do things the others didn't. He was a piece of a championship team. Not THE piece. Also, I have no clue how we can beat up Daniels over his frame and then simultaneously be okay with JJ?

I agree Colston is blue chip. Every time ive explained their talent level ive lead with outside of Loveland name a player going top 15. And okay we can talj numbers 29 attempts a game. How many of those are timing and tight window? How many of those translate to sundays? Because if you take away the 35 to 45% of throws that are screens and space pre snap reads from Jayden and drake how many attempts are you left with? Then factor in that those throws keep you in rythm. Those plays keep pressure off the QB because it makes the defense come then change direction. When JJ is throwing you know hes throwing. Thats pro stuff.

Like how realistic is it drake maye’s back footed fall away moon ball at UNC FOR a TD is caught or not intercepted in the NFL? And you say JJ is bailing out of clean pockets but that is literally Draked biggest knock outside of his feet and missibg the layups. I remember Haskins couldnt hit layups and bad feet and he def went over well. And its okay to say it because they both do it. But if you see it for the one you dont like and not the one you do because he looks a certain way and had a rocket arm then your not judging on a even scale. 

Again its okay we dont agree. And im not saying JJ doesnt need work or have questions. But what he does have is tape that translates. He goes under center. He does play well within and outside of structre. And lets just clear this up. If he wasnt there. If he rqn the dink and dunk and get the ball out and he is throwing 40 times a game and you add in all the screens and quick game whay on taoe saya he cant do it because he does that too? So yes he had good rb’s and OL. But as we know QB play gels all that. You can have a great OL if the QB aint doing his job they can still look bad. And for as great as their OL is they sure gave up a ton of pressure to OSU and Penn ST. So again i say he wins. When the play had to be made he did it and he did it when you know its coming and that translates. Like i dont understand how Jayden gets passes for losing to top level defenses that are closer to what he will see on sundays and drakes worse games were against better defenses and its okay but JJ wins and its all the team. Tua had How many franchise RB’s And WR’s,Rd 1 nobody questions it. Jeo Burrow Edwards Helair and JJ AND chase nobody questions that. But JJ is just system and doesnt belong with the top guys when throw for throw that actually translate hes right there with the Prizes of the class. 

Yes its hard to scout. But they have formats where you can just watch every throw a QB makes. If you do that and you just watch and you add up the throws that really equate to what you do on Sundays he checks that box. And hes doing it without rythm 

Here's some more information about how the mock went: 

20 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

1 2 2 Washington Commanders Jayden Daniels QB

I didn't overthink this pick. We started the mock right around the time we signed Mariota so I just went with the mobile QB. I will note that I did get a few offers to trade down but none were worth passing on a QB. 

1 32 32 Washington Commanders Tyler Guyton OT

I made a small move up to ensure that I landed a tackle prospect. I wanted to get that 5th year option but also didn't want to send any of our top selections back in a trade, so this worked out perfect. I traded 36, 152 (5) & 222 (7) for 32, 173 (5) and 252 (7). So I basically moved way down in the 5th and 7th rounds to move up 4 spots into the first. This was the only trade I made in the mock. 

I traded up specifically for a tackle. Other Tackles available were Arizona's Jordan Morgan (who would have been available at 36) and BYU's Kingsley Suamataia (who went 34 so he wouldn't have been available unless they took Guyton instead). I went with Guyton as I think he has more upside and with the cheap cost I thought moving up was worth it. 

2 8 40 Washington Commanders Xavier Worthy WR

I was determined to go BPA with this pick after forcing a need pick with the following one. I was planning on taking linebacker Edge Cooper but he went with the pick literally before this one. Other players available at this pick and that were considered were: OC Zach Frazier, WV / WR Keon Coleman, FSU / CB TJ Tampa, Iowa St, WR Ricky Pearsall, Florida. I took the combine warrior Worthy as I figure his speed is a dimension we don't have. I know Coleman gives us that big bodied guy but the league seems to be leaning towards the speed demons. Frazier is good but we just signed a veteran Center in FA so I think we're kind of stuck with him for awhile, and I like Tampa and Pearsall but honestly think both Worthy and Coleman are higher prospects than the rest of this group. 

3 3 67 Washington Commanders Cooper Beebe OG

I wasn't planning on double dipping so quickly on the Oline but I thought that Beebe was the BPA (I think he's a 2nd round talent). Other players considered were: RB Jon Brooks, Texas / TE Cade Stover, Ohio St / MLB Jeremiah Trotter jr. . 

3 14 78 Washington Commanders Cade Stover TE

I had considered him with my previous pick and he fell to this one so I made this selection pretty quickly. 

3 36 100 Washington Commanders Bralen Trice EDGE

Trice fell farther in this mock than I think he will IRL. I will say that the talent level dropoff at 100 from the previous two picks felt pretty significant. Other than Trice I found myself looking at RBs and such at this point. Zach Zinter was available but I had already taken two Olineman. 

5 4 139 Washington Commanders Jaylin Simpson CBN

I was actually traveling this day and @MikeT14 made this selection for me. Perhaps he can go through his thought process. 

5 38 173 Washington Commanders Blake Watson RB

I just grabbed a RB at this point in the draft to add one to the roster. 

7 32 252 Washington Commanders Joshua Karty PK

After the trade down this was one of the last picks in the entire draft. I honestly didn't know many names at this point so just took a kicker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:
21 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

5 4 139 Washington Commanders Jaylin Simpson CBN

I was actually traveling this day and @MikeT14 made this selection for me. Perhaps he can go through his thought process. 

Sure thing. MK's draft had attached offense from the start. He got some good pieces to surround Daniels. After taking Trice, it was time to continue to get some depth for the defense. Simpson has good size to work as a DQ corner. He could see time at nickel or deep safety. Coaching and finding his home will be this staff's job, but I have confidence in them to do it unlike previous years. This is another versatile tool to compete. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well Adam Schefter seems to think its Daniels. Basically said you can pencil it in. That's a bit of a downer. Not going to lie lol

On the one hand I hear "there are no leaks anymore" on the other the leaks seem to be rolling out faster than they can print them.    

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

On the one hand I hear "there are no leaks anymore" on the other the leaks seem to be rolling out faster than they can print them.    

Yeah its odd. I still think Schefter is just going off of what everyone is saying. I'll be honest, I can't remember the last time a QB was so obviously the 2nd overall pick in the draft at the end of the collegiate season only to have the entire narrative flipped to another guy like it has with Maye and Daniels.

I feel like the legend of Jayden Daniels has now outgrown the actual prospect. He's turning into this flawless QB who never struggled and isn't skinny and can make every throw and yadda yadda yadda. I think taking Daniels is a mistake. I will reiterate this up until he's drafted and shows me otherwise. He's not as good of a prospect as some other uber athletic QBs who've come out i.e. Lamar Jackson and Cam Newton and even they couldn't/haven't won Super Bowls. Every day a new story comes out. I just heard from ESPN that he looks like the next CJ Stroud and processes the game like Stroud does. If Jayden Daniels was as good as he's seemingly grown to be since the end of the collegiate season then I have no clue how he's not going to be the first pick in the draft?

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I feel like the legend of Jayden Daniels has now outgrown the actual prospect.

I have been saying this about every QB prospect and it's no less true now. The fact that McCarthy went from late 1st at best to possible 2nd overall pick, is as good example as any. It's ridiculous how overrated these QBs get and then it's really hard to live up to the hype, doesn't matter who they are. 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'll be honest, I can't remember the last time a QB was so obviously the 2nd overall pick in the draft at the end of the collegiate season only to have the entire narrative flipped to another guy like it has with Maye and Daniels.

Last thing I could think of was Baker Mayfield on who was #1. I remember it felt like it was Darnold's to lose and then he did. 

• Like 1