The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Wylie replacement. You have to love it.

Sort of feels like a multi-purpose visit. You get to meet with this kid, but you also get a long conversation with the one guy who might be best positioned to know about Olu Fashanu, Chop Robinson, and Adisa Isaac in practice and the locker/meeting rooms.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s not just bc of Dabol though, that’s just more validation for me. Again, If another HC wants Maye and he’s a QB whisperer then I payed attention to that. 

It will be interesting to see what the Giants do. They badly need a WR more than anything else and Nabers & Rome will be there for the taking but, they can move on from Jones after this year and go with the QB they would’ve drafted at 5 this year if they want to. 

They’ll have their pick of whoever us and the Patriots don’t draft which means one of: Daniels, Maye or McCarthy and it would be hard to pass on one of them even for a probable pro bowl WR.

Im def not saying your wrong about paying attention. But i remember back in 2020 it was we want Chase especially so the Giants cant take him. I just like all of us in spite of preference just want them to pick the right guys for this team. Like yes 2 is critical. We need to get this QB right. But we have so many high picks in a draft that realistically with the level of players in the ranges of these critcal picks if you can hit on 4 really good guys out of the 6 top pick and the other two can just contribute something somewherw in a role weve infused this roster with a really bright starting point for this regime. If they want to play to Drakes strengths im going to cheer and rock his jersey. If they want to play to Jaydens strengths im gonna cheer and rock his jersey. If they pick JJ well im gonna cheer and have to get tagged in every growing pain moment 🤣🤣🤣 while still rocking his jersey. All in all this class reminds me more of the Mayfield class where i liked Mayfield Lamar and even though back then having a sub 60% completion percentage was a big key for me i saw Allen as a real boom or bust and where he went i thought had real value. I believe unlike the 21 class which i really only liked Fields once i broke him down which was last of the group i liked him Lance if he sat and Mond again to sit and maybe stash. This class i believe 3-4 of the 6 can hit and even Rattler could blossum on 3-4 current staffs. That said any of the top 4 i believe can blossum here. But while its up to the staff to put them inbthe best spot and while i prefer JJ or Maye i do actuqlly think with Kingsberry, Johnson and Travita and what they have developed Daniels is probably more their flavor and if hes the pick i just hope its everything and more that RG flashed because he has those elements plus better pocket play. Ultimately what i want the most is in 3 years for us here to be talking about competeing and those types of things so for once we cqn enjoy a build and runs

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sort of feels like a multi-purpose visit. You get to meet with this kid, but you also get a long conversation with the one guy who might be best positioned to know about Olu Fashanu, Chop Robinson, and Adisa Isaac in practice and the locker/meeting rooms.

Exactly

@ripsean21If we still had Scott Turner’s offense or had been able to hire Bobby Slowik then I would understand a JJ McCarthy pick bc he played mostly from under center at Michigan and almost every pass he threw was off of play action or with Harbaugh moving the pocket/on a roll out like the Shanahan offense.

The issue is that Kingsbury’s offense is nothing like that. Our QB will mostly be playing from the shot gun, we’ll mostly be running our run plays from the gun and we will have a lot of college spread/air raid concepts. 

I don’t think Kingsbury’s offense fits JJ at all but of course after a year of sitting I do agree that he could develop into it. 

I think Kingsbury’s offense fits Daniels & Drake Maye day 1 & they played in an offense with similar concepts to what Kingsbury will do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Wylie replacement. You have to love it.

Agree with this assessment.  That is probably his upside.  Played a lot of games so fairly finished product.  Super reliable which is the number one thing you should care about when looking for offensive linemen since they play 100% of offensive snaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Agree with this assessment.  That is probably his upside.  Played a lot of games so fairly finished product.  Super reliable which is the number one thing you should care about when looking for offensive linemen since they play 100% of offensive snaps.

Kickin’ Wylie to the curb after June is the dream man, it’s the dream! 😂 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7mqbyt6hnrj8l6pqq8n

Brutal takes on Maye from Merril Hoge: 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/merril-hoge-sees-drake-maye-as-the-kind-of-player-that-will-get-you-fired

“Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired,” Hoge said in an interview on WCCO radio. “Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three, he’s going to get you fired.”

Hoge compared Maye to 2021 rookie Malik Willis, who had been the betting favorite to be the first quarterback taken and who ended up falling to the Titans in round three. At best, he’ll be No. 2 in Tennessee this year.

“Willis might be the only guy that I can think of that is as erratic as Maye,” Hoge said. “I studied him for two years. . . . I watched every one of his games last year. . . . His last game against [North Carolina State] was probably the most embarrassing display I’ve seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. . . . He’s erratic. He’s everywhere.”

Hoge also has concerns about Maye’s ability to use his athleticism in a way that will keep him healthy.

“People think his athleticism will translate but people want him to run and they will bust him up,” Hoge said. “He is not athletic enough. If he doesn’t get down and learn how to do that, he won’t last until Week 10.”

27 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Chris Simms has Maye as his 6th rated QB. There must be a reason for this assessment. He mentions he makes throws that make you say wow but he would make him sit, not ready to be a starting QB. 

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Simms has Maye as his 6th rated QB. There must be a reason for this assessment. He mentions he makes throws that make you say wow but he would make him sit, not ready to be a starting QB. 

My biggest issue with Maye is his inability to move off his first read. I said it at the beginning, I think he sits on read #1 too long.

I don't think I would put Maye as the 6th rated QB or compare him to Malik Willis though.

Much like the TE position where there is a giant gap between Brock Bowers and everyone else, I think the same can be said about Caleb Williams and everyone else. The media has propelled these young men into top 5 draft position and now they are trying to eviscerate them as top 5 talent. I wouldn't draft Maye, Daniels, McCarthy or Penix/Nix earlier than the teens in any other draft, but here we are.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We really doing this? Do we need to dive into some if his other takes? Its pretty bad. 

https://www.troyrecord.com/2020/04/20/merril-hoge-joe-burrow-only-first-round-qb-talent/

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/merril-hoge-says-colts-should-draft-griffin-over-luck

https://freezingcoldtakes.com/nfl/reminder-merril-hoge-todd-mcshay-thought-brian-brohm-upside-aaron-rodgers.html

I'm fine with what Simms has to say. He's actually had some hits. Hoge has been horrendous at this. There's plenty more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Just passing the take along. 

I mean, I get its popular right now to trash Maye for whatever reason but my god, Malik Willis? lmao. This is just getting dumb now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

This is from a month or more ago, isn't it? I remember talking about it kn Twitter. I'll believe guys like Tim Hassleback & Orlovsky over a running back who had major concussion issues 20-25 years ago. 

I love Merril, he's an ex-Steeler, but this is a classic case of an guy who evaluates GAME DAY FILM  just evaluating what a guy currently is and not projecting what a 21-yesr-old player’s his ceiling could be.

Everyone knows Maye is not close to a finished product but, projecting out what he could be as a finished product out him as most likely a top 10 QB and possibly a top 5 elite QB.

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, I get its popular right now to trash Maye for whatever reason but my god, Malik Willis? lmao. This is just getting dumb now. 

The Willis comp was the funniest part to me too

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

This is from a month or more ago, isn't it? I remember talking about it kn Twitter.

I dunno. I just saw it somewhere else and it was a “new article”