The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/07/report-multiple-nfl-people-believe-drake-maye-will-go-to-commanders-at-no-2-overall-2024-nfl-draft-quarterback/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1sl_5Fqgqynecvi6nRTB_6v6skn30au6L-dklrtFIVkG9ApZJq2i5IyKM

@lavar703

In fact, multiple NFL sources said they don’t believe Maye will get past the Commanders at No. 2. Despite a lot of speculation that Daniels is a better fit for the scheme of new Commanders offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury and a report that GM Adam Peters was eyeing McCarthy, there are many people around the NFL, who view those tidbits as smokescreens.

“I think we’re at the point where people are just overanalyzing and forgetting all the reasons why Maye is one of the two best quarterbacks in this draft,” said one NFL personnel executive. “He’s a big kid [6-foot-4, 223] with a big arm who can run. Sure, he can be inconsistent and he made some throws in college that he shouldn’t have tried.

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 2

This has been a very unusual draft process. Lot's of dogmatic opinions and polarizing positions. To me - I like Drake Maye and JJ McCarthy at #2. If they take Jaden, I guess i will trust the adults in the room - but from my POV, I like Drake the most, with McCarthy as a close second. This is primarily because the experience that both of these individuals have is more attuned to an NFL atmosphere, and they did not have the players that Jaden (and even Penix) had around them.

• Like 2

Trying to think about where I would have these QBs ranked if there was no consideration whatsoever given to position value.

I think I would have all 3 of them behind the very top tier of position players. MHJ, Nabers, Bowers. Maybe I would have Caleb then?

I would probably have Maye and Daniels in with the next tier of guys, who I consider to be Odunze, Alt, Verse, Turner, and maybe Quinyon Mitchell. I guess Fuaga if we’re not considering him being limited to RT.

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Trying to think about where I would have these QBs ranked if there was no consideration whatsoever given to position value.

I think I would have all 3 of them behind the very top tier of position players. MHJ, Nabers, Bowers. Maybe I would have Caleb then?

I would probably have Maye and Daniels in with the next tier of guys, who I consider to be Odunze, Alt, Verse, Turner, and maybe Quinyon Mitchell. I guess Fuaga if we’re not considering him being limited to RT.

I would put Maye and Daniels in the range of Mims, Robinson, Thomas, Powers-Johnson range. Somewhere in the 20s to 30s for total prospects. McCarthy would be somewhere in the 40-60 range. Penix would probably be in that same grouping. 

I think as far as prospects go, there are significantly better players than these QBs. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I dunno. I just saw it somewhere else and it was a “new article”

Yeah, I looked it up, he first said this a month ago or it may have even been the end of February. 

Then people are pointing out that Hoge said the same thing about Herbert and that he had Trubisky over Mahomes & Watson back in 2018.

So it's clearly not an exact science. Hogge does bring up good points. I think everyone admits that Maye has things he needs to improve on but at the same time he's the youngest QB in this draft class with less playing time plus, he had his OC and offensive system change from his sophomore to junior seasons and lastly, he played with the least amount of talent around him on his offense.

He and McCarthy are the hardest evaluations out of the top 6 QBs IMO for different reasons but, I can see them both being much better pros than they were in college.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess if you look at it like you know what you’re getting. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I actually have Mitchell as the best defender in the class and that could be my DB at heart nature but I’d put him in that tier but twards the Rome Alt Area. The top end Edges are good with Verse Turner and Chop. But there is a falloff and I’d prefer us not force the spot since they’ve atleast put rotational vision at those spots. Especially with how I expect they deploy the LB’s. That said if Chop is somehow avalible or getting close then heck year I snag him if his name just keeps getting skipped because these offensive players

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I would put Maye and Daniels in the range of Mims, Robinson, Thomas, Powers-Johnson range. Somewhere in the 20s to 30s for total prospects. McCarthy would be somewhere in the 40-60 range. Penix would probably be in that same grouping. 

I think as far as prospects go, there are significantly better players than these QBs. 

Me and you have been lock step on our vision but I def think this QB class is premier. I think this class is actually the type of class they talked up the 21 class to be I actually believe this class is what people wanted that one to be. I think it’s closer to the Mayfield class where there are over half that will have legit playing impact too teams in a positive way

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/07/report-multiple-nfl-people-believe-drake-maye-will-go-to-commanders-at-no-2-overall-2024-nfl-draft-quarterback/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1sl_5Fqgqynecvi6nRTB_6v6skn30au6L-dklrtFIVkG9ApZJq2i5IyKM

@lavar703

In fact, multiple NFL sources said they don’t believe Maye will get past the Commanders at No. 2. Despite a lot of speculation that Daniels is a better fit for the scheme of new Commanders offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury and a report that GM Adam Peters was eyeing McCarthy, there are many people around the NFL, who view those tidbits as smokescreens.

“I think we’re at the point where people are just overanalyzing and forgetting all the reasons why Maye is one of the two best quarterbacks in this draft,” said one NFL personnel executive. “He’s a big kid [6-foot-4, 223] with a big arm who can run. Sure, he can be inconsistent and he made some throws in college that he shouldn’t have tried.

I mean someone is getting bad information or lying bc Colin Cowturd was told's going to Daniels.

My conclusion, it's lying season!