The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

It is pretty deep with OTs, but I don't think any of them is worth a top 5 pick.  If that is the direction we go, we could trade down and get one for each side.  I wouldn't mind picking up Suamataia to play LT and Fuaga to play RT.

I think you’re asking for trouble if the plan is to start two rookies. I still think we could walk away with Bowers and load up on the OL with our 2nd and 3rd rounders. But I’m not taking QB completely off of there either as it is going to be a new regime. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

It is pretty deep with OTs, but I don't think any of them is worth a top 5 pick.  If that is the direction we go, we could trade down and get one for each side.  I wouldn't mind picking up Suamataia to play LT and Fuaga to play RT.

I will say, I’m getting annoyed with Redskins twitter comparing Fashanu to Trent Williams. Fashanu is a stud but Williams was an absolute physical freak. Fashanu to me is more of a Russell Okung which is nice but I don’t see him ever being a top 5 LT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I think you’re asking for trouble if the plan is to start two rookies. I still think we could walk away with Bowers and load up on the OL with our 2nd and 3rd rounders. But I’m not taking QB completely off of there either as it is going to be a new regime. 

Good point.  We probably want to still keep either Lucas or Leno around and wylie will be here as a backup.  But we got to dive into this upgrade and this draft looks good for it.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I will say, I’m getting annoyed with Redskins twitter comparing Fashanu to Trent Williams. Fashanu is a stud but Williams was an absolute physical freak. Fashanu to me is more of a Russell Okung which is nice but I don’t see him ever being a top 5 LT. 

Fashanu could be a real star but I do wonder if it is too early to tell for him.  I don't think he has enough starts at left tackle to declare him that guy.  The other question is whether we should be wary of the hometown kid thing.  I would trade down before taking any of these tackles top 5, but there are a handful I would be excited to take in the next 30 picks.

The problem with the top 5 is your whole Bowers concept.  If you use the pick there, you want to pick a player who is at another level there.  

36 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Good point.  We probably want to still keep either Lucas or Leno around and wylie will be here as a backup.  But we got to dive into this upgrade and this draft looks good for it.  

Fashanu could be a real star but I do wonder if it is too early to tell for him.  I don't think he has enough starts at left tackle to declare him that guy.  The other question is whether we should be wary of the hometown kid thing.  I would trade down before taking any of these tackles top 5, but there are a handful I would be excited to take in the next 30 picks.

The problem with the top 5 is your whole Bowers concept.  If you use the pick there, you want to pick a player who is at another level there.  

You mean like Bowers as a negative in the top 5?

26 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Bowers reminds me a lot of Chris Cooley. His running style and utility weapon-ability is very Cooley-esque.

He’s quite a bit more athletic than Cooley and a lot faster I believe. Cooley was a stud in his own right though. 

• Like 2

My only concern with Bowers is if he’s big enough to hold up for 17 games a year at TE in the NFL. He’s listed at 240 pounds, but he looks a bit more slight than that to me. 

TE is a brutal position to play in the league. These top guys always seem to be banged up — even when they do play, they seem to be battling stuff for games at a time. I would have to imagine that the bigger framed guys probably hold up a bit better against the battering that their bodies take.

Other than that, he can pretty much do it all. I don’t know that he’s a great jump-ball guy — they don’t throw many, it seems like. But he’s unbelievable at uncovering, finding throwing lanes, and then dusting people after the catch.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Fashanu is a lot of upside but it’s not Trent Williams ceiling. People just say things to say them, I agree it’s annoying. 😂 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Latest mock turned out pretty well (PFF)

Round 1. Brock Bowers

Round 2. Amarius Mims

Round 2. Kalen King

Round 3. Kingsley Suamataia

Round 3. Cooper Beebe

Mims in the 2nd & Bebe in the 3rd would be a dream. 

Starting RT & LG.

LT: Leno? Or other FA 
LG: Bebe
C : Stromberg

RG: Cosmi

RT: Mims

That looks solid to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

My only concern with Bowers is if he’s big enough to hold up for 17 games a year at TE in the NFL. He’s listed at 240 pounds, but he looks a bit more slight than that to me. 

TE is a brutal position to play in the league. These top guys always seem to be banged up — even when they do play, they seem to be battling stuff for games at a time. I would have to imagine that the bigger framed guys probably hold up a bit better against the battering that their bodies take.

Other than that, he can pretty much do it all. I don’t know that he’s a great jump-ball guy — they don’t throw many, it seems like. But he’s unbelievable at uncovering, finding throwing lanes, and then dusting people after the catch.

I'm not too worried about it bc I think he's going to be used more as a Big Slot WR & even outside at times to create mismatches vs SS & OLBs rather than as an inline guy.

He’ll be used like Jordan Reed was.

Our inline guy will be Bates.

I should say that its hard to judge any young OL on the roster considering the giant jump down in coaching this year versus prior. Matsko is one of the best OL coaches in football and then we basically replaced him with someone who's never done it before. Daniels and Stromberg were both pretty good in college. Daniels had a decent RAS and scored relatively high with PFF. I wouldn't be shocked if the new staff gets something out of him. But I would suspect he moves inside to guard. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm not too worried about it bc I think he's going to be used more as a Big Slot WR & even outside at times to create mismatches vs SS & OLBs rather than as an inline guy.

He’ll be used like Jordan Reed was.

Our inline guy will be Bates.

And thankfully he avoided injuries doing that.