The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Tried to do something a little fun. I took the BPA regardless of need, position, or if I already drafted based on this site (https://www.drafttek.com/2024-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2024-Page-1.asp) and where PFN had them ranked.

Results:

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT Penn State

Leonard Taylor, DT Miami (FL)

Bo Nix, QB Oregon

Patrick Paul, OT Houston

Devontez Walker, WR North Carolina

Javon Bullard, CB Georgia

Braden Fiske, DT Florida State

Tyler Baron, EDGE Tennessee

Tykee Smith, S Georgia

Might be a deeper DT class. I ran into close calls with almost getting like 4 DTs lol. 

4. Joe Alt OT Notre Dame

36. Graham Barton OG Duke

41. Troy Franklin WR Oregon

68. Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest

96. Darius Robinson EDGE Missouri

100. Blake Corum RB Michigan

132. Brevyn Spann-Ford TE Minnesota

164. Tykee Smith S Georgia

196. Tyrice Knight LB UTEP

Fashanu’s run blocking concerns me a little. I know he’s like out of this world for pass protection and the league passes a million times now but I still want my top Olineman to be able to road grade in the run game. Idk maybe I’m too old school there. His frame looks skinny to me too, but I know he’s one of the youngest prospects so maybe he will fill out. I’m concerned he’s a little too much like Cosmi, a finesse blocker that might not translate as well in the pros. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Fashanu’s run blocking concerns me a little. I know he’s like out of this world for pass protection and the league passes a million times now but I still want my top Olineman to be able to road grade in the run game. Idk maybe I’m too old school there. His frame looks skinny to me too, but I know he’s one of the youngest prospects so maybe he will fill out. I’m concerned he’s a little too much like Cosmi, a finesse blocker that might not translate as well in the pros. 

I wouldn't be mad at the pick, but at this junction I'm actually higher on Alt. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I agree here a bit. 

Where I am with this OL class at the moment is that I love the depth, but I’m not sure I love the top end. I don’t really see a Tunsil or a Sewell, a guy that I think is just going to be an absolute destroyer in the NFL. I like both Alt and Fashanu as good starters in the NFL, but is that a top 5 pick OT? I don’t love that value. 

Especially when you’ve got guys who can play going a good bit further down the board. Depending on what you’re looking for, you’ve got Mims, Fuaga, and Latham who can all absolutely play (Latham is growing on me, with a Darnell Wright type vibe where I think maybe he looks slower/heavier than he actually is). People seem to love the upside with Guyton, and Jordan Morgan has a lot of fans too, though I haven’t really settled in to watch any of them.

I still think OL as a whole is easily the biggest need for this team, but I’m not sure it’s as simple as “just take the best OT on the board at 4.”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I agree here a bit. 

Where I am with this OL class at the moment is that I love the depth, but I’m not sure I love the top end. I don’t really see a Tunsil or a Sewell, a guy that I think is just going to be an absolute destroyer in the NFL. I like both Alt and Fashanu as good starters in the NFL, but is that a top 5 pick OT? I don’t love that value. 

Especially when you’ve got guys who can play going a good bit further down the board. Depending on what you’re looking for, you’ve got Mims, Fuaga, and Latham who can all absolutely play (Latham is growing on me, with a Darnell Wright type vibe where I think maybe he looks slower/heavier than he actually is). People seem to love the upside with Guyton, and Jordan Morgan has a lot of fans too, though I haven’t really settled in to watch any of them.

I still think OL as a whole is easily the biggest need for this team, but I’m not sure it’s as simple as “just take the best OT on the board at 4.”

I totally agree.  #4 for these guys is a stretch.  I think we could trade down 10 picks, pull a guy like Kingsley or Mims at LT and then still have a pick for Fuaga at top of 2nd.  Fuaga is my favorite tackle in this draft, although he is a RT.  

28 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I totally agree.  #4 for these guys is a stretch.  I think we could trade down 10 picks, pull a guy like Kingsley or Mims at LT and then still have a pick for Fuaga at top of 2nd.  Fuaga is my favorite tackle in this draft, although he is a RT.  

I can’t imagine the new group passes on QB. I’d be absolutely shocked if they don’t take Daniels. All of this hinges on losing to the jets though. 

31 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If you swap the draft placement for Fuaga and Suamataia, I’m on board. Kingsley is probably like OT8 or OT9 for me at the moment. 

I also really like Fuaga. He has some of that “big cat pouncing” quality that you’d see with Sewell, where he surprises a guy by getting there and then blasts him. I do have a little concern with him due to OSU having a great OL group this year — it’s a bit easier to look great/avoid big mistakes when you have a very strong unit that can cover up for you at times. I always have the same concern with these OL from the big SEC schools or Ohio State — I think the Beavers were close to that level on the OL this year.

Since we’re talking OTs, I do have to again make my obligatory mention that I believe Amarius Mims is the most talented OT out there. 

I’m not saying I would have the stones to take him in the top 15 with his (utter lack of) track record…but he never gets beat, and he flashes the kind of shocking easy power in his hands that the greats have. You get sort of a sense that maybe he doesn’t have it all going up on upstairs, so that’s a concern — especially when coupled with the injuries. But he’s really excellent to watch in terms of how he handles the guy lined up across from him.

While I’ve had a little time to watch today, I’m also getting more and more impressed by the Oregon center Jackson Powers-Johnson (hereinafter, “JPJ”). Very mobile, good anchor, finisher.

I don’t know anything about their respective IQs, but in terms of on-field play, I’m much more impressed with JPJ than I’ve ever been with Sedrick Van Pran (“SVP”), who continues to get a lot of the shine at the position.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I can’t imagine the new group passes on QB. I’d be absolutely shocked if they don’t take Daniels. All of this hinges on losing to the jets though. 

I think it depends on the coach  Daniels isn't for everyone.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I agree here a bit. 

So if MHJ is gone (and assuming we DON'T go QB as we expect a new GM to do), then do you want to trade down a few spots to say 9 or 10? Pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder (or something high next year) and then grab an OL there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

While I’ve had a little time to watch today, I’m also getting more and more impressed by the Oregon center Jackson Powers-Johnson (hereinafter, “JPJ”). Very mobile, good anchor, finisher.

I don’t know anything about their respective IQs, but in terms of on-field play, I’m much more impressed with JPJ than I’ve ever been with Sedrick Van Pran (“SVP”), who continues to get a lot of the shine at the position.

So funny you brought him up I was just watching some tape on him, guy is a moose, love his play. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

Was just looking at the draft pick value chart and was thinking what team might move up to possibly grab J. Daniels. 
Raiders maybe would do something like that. 
Would you trade Pick 4 for Pick 12,43,74. I know they don’t use that chart like it’s the Bible but this trade comes out about even. 
We would move down 8 spots and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. 

Right now That would give us Picks 12,36,41,43,68,74,Comp pick 

1st rd (1)

2nd rd (3)

3rd rd (3)   7 picks top 100  Pipe dream or possible? Just need a team who is really in love with JD.

Edited by ARTMONK HOF