The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

58 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Was just looking at the draft pick value chart and was thinking what team might move up to possibly grab J. Daniels. 
Raiders maybe would do something like that. 
Would you trade Pick 4 for Pick 12,43,74. I know they don’t use that chart like it’s the Bible but this trade comes out about even. 
We would move down 8 spots and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. 

Right now That would give us Picks 12,36,41,43,68,74,Comp pick 

1st rd (1)

2nd rd (3)

3rd rd (3)   7 picks top 100  Pipe dream or possible? Just need a team who is really in love with JD.

Nah. If I’m moving out of the top 5 I’m getting your first round pick next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Was just looking at the draft pick value chart and was thinking what team might move up to possibly grab J. Daniels. 
Raiders maybe would do something like that. 
Would you trade Pick 4 for Pick 12,43,74. I know they don’t use that chart like it’s the Bible but this trade comes out about even. 
We would move down 8 spots and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. 

Right now That would give us Picks 12,36,41,43,68,74,Comp pick 

1st rd (1)

2nd rd (3)

3rd rd (3)   7 picks top 100  Pipe dream or possible? Just need a team who is really in love with JD.

Yes, I would do that. A 1st and three 2nds plus two thirds? Yes. Assuming you did decent in FA, you could rebuild the OL, add an EDGE and/or a LB and a skill position with that

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If I'm not getting 2nd and 3rd this year? Yes.

Trading down sounds real good but you need that team who has mad love for Daniels, Alt or Fashanu. Was thinking about it I like Fashanu but with a lot of needs, he has high upside but Pick 4, I think it would be best to trade out. 

• Like 1

I think this just goes unspoken with a lot of us, but the first and most important question is (and will be until draft day) whether we love any QBs. 

If we do, then we have to do whatever it takes to land that player (or one of those players), even if that involves trading up. You can win without having a superstar QB, of course…but it’s just so much harder to do. So if we can’t get our hands on a QB we love, only then do we transition to these other discussions. In my mind, at least.

I do know that I love Caleb Williams, and I would trade up for him. I will still have to make up my mind on Drake Maye and, apparently, on Jayden Daniels — given the way that people are raving about him and given some of the numbers I’ve read about his performance this year.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think this just goes unspoken with a lot of us, but the first and most important question is (and will be until draft day) whether we love any QBs. 

If we do, then we have to do whatever it takes to land that player (or one of those players), even if that involves trading up. You can win without having a superstar QB, of course…but it’s just so much harder to do. So if we can’t get our hands on a QB we love, only then do we transition to these other discussions. In my mind, at least.

I do know that I love Caleb Williams, and I would trade up for him. I will still have to make up my mind on Drake Maye and, apparently, on Jayden Daniels — given the way that people are raving about him and given some of the numbers I’ve read about his performance this year.

I love C.Williams as well but trading up as @MKnight82 points out that doesn’t fall in line with the analytical approach in building a roster but You’re right you need that guy at QB. 
To have the 4th pick and to be this close is very tempting. 
Carolina #1 Pick 
Chicago got #9th pick, DJ Moore, additional 1st rd pick, 2-2nd rd picks. 
To move from Pick 4- #1 pick What would it take? Switch 1st rd picks, additional 1st rd pick, their 2nd rd pick from M. Sweat back  and maybe J.Allen  Something like that?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I love C.Williams as well but trading up as @MKnight82 points out that doesn’t fall in line with the analytical approach in building a roster but You’re right you need that guy at QB. 
To have the 4th pick and to be this close is very tempting. 
Carolina #1 Pick 
Chicago got #9th pick, DJ Moore, additional 1st rd pick, 2-2nd rd picks. 
To move from Pick 4- #1 pick What would it take? Switch 1st rd picks, additional 1st rd pick, their 2nd rd pick from M. Sweat back  and maybe J.Allen  Something like that?

Really, REALLY not interested in trading up. 

• Like 4

I understand the argument both ways.

I would love getting more picks by trading down and building up the roster but also being this close to going from pick 4-1 and selecting your hope for a franchise QB. I’m not saying C. Williams is a can’t miss prospect but I hate to keep complaining for the next decade like I have for the last 3 mediocre decades of that we need a franchise QB and we had a chance to get one and we didn’t. It’s just that in all probability we won’t be this bad and to move 3 spots seems enticing.
We see how much a QB means in this league.

30 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would love getting more picks by trading down and building up the roster but also being this close to going from pick 4-1 and selecting your hope for a franchise QB. I’m not saying C. Williams is a can’t miss prospect but I hate to keep complaining for the next decade like I have for the last 3 mediocre decades of that we need a franchise QB and we had a chance to get one and we didn’t. It’s just that in all probability we won’t be this bad and to move 3 spots seems enticing.

And if you do it and miss it all but effectively kills the new regimes tenure before it starts and takes a team that needs a legit rebuild and makes it 10x more difficult. I don’t want to be in the same situation as the Panthers. If we’re hellbent on taking a QB and we still have the 4th pick just take Daniels. At least if he’s a bust it doesn’t cost us multiple high picks. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

What was the last team that sold the farm for a QB to move up in the draft and it turned out being a success? The chiefs I don’t think count because their roster was pretty damn good and they moved up from way down in the first round and really didn’t give up much. 

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What was the last team that sold the farm for a QB to move up in the draft and it turned out being a success? The chiefs I don’t think count because their roster was pretty damn good and they moved up from way down in the first round and really didn’t give up much. 

Closest I could find:

If the Chiefs didn't give up much in your eyes, then the Bills only giving up an additional two 2nds for Allen doesn't count either.

Semantics on Watson I think. Didn't work out, but not because he wasn't talented, and they got a haul in return. 

Probably going all the way back to Eli but back then it wasn't much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’m not gonna lie I wouldn’t take Williams at 4 much less at 1. I don’t think he is a leader of men. I think he’s super talented. But we’ve had super talent without leadership ability. I’m not saying he can’t develop these traits but I just don’t think he’s everything people think he is when I watch him I think he’s special from the neck down. Just my take.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Really, REALLY not interested in trading up. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This.

I’m not a huge fan of trading up either.

But I do have to say, the Chiefs and Bills are both perennial contenders because they chose the QB over the additional draft picks. Though at a lesser cost, the Ravens are perennial contenders because they chose the QB over the additional picks. In a sort of inverse fashion, the Bengals and Jaguars will both be perennial contenders because they chose the QB over the additional draft picks. And in an even more circuitous route, the Texans are set up to contend long-term because they chose the QB (Watson) over the additional draft picks.

The point is, accumulating more draft picks is almost always the right approach. The one time it’s not the most important thing, in my view, is when you balance it against the chance to acquire a genuine superstar QB. There’s nothing in team-building that remotely compares to the value a QB provides — the quality of your QB play sets both the floor and the ceiling for your team.

In this instance, as I said, I don’t think the Bears will end up being willing to trade the right to take Caleb Williams for all of King Midas’s silver. But if they were willing to? I think we’d have to take a long, long look at the price tag. If his personality/mentality “idiosyncrasies” check out, there’s really not a significant weakness in his game. He fumbles too much, I guess (because he keeps plays alive for a day and a half). Otherwise, I think he’s special.

Obviously, you only pay the steep price associated with any move from 4 to 1 (or 2) if you’re convinced the player has a realistic chance to be Special™️. I’m not currently convinced about Maye or Daniels in that way, though at one time I did feel more strongly about Maye than the recent box scores have suggested I should. And so I wouldn’t want to move up for them, and if you (or the new FO) don’t feel that way about Williams, then you shouldn’t want to move up for him either. 

But I guess the biggest point is that it has to be about the evaluation of the player. Surely if 22-year-old Peyton Manning was draft eligible this year, it would be wise for us to explore trying to move up to get him. Or John Elway or Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow or [insert other bona fide gold standard slam dunk #1 pick QB]. The point is…if we don’t think it’s worth paying a big price to get Caleb Williams, it should be because of how we evaluate Caleb Williams. Not because we’re just patently unwilling to trade up for a QB under any circumstances.

• Like 3