The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

TE is going to be a tough turn for us next year. Our cap space means you could in theory just keep Logan around, but I dunno why we should. The FA market is relatively thin. You could spend money on Shultz, but I imagine Houston keeps him around. Sinnott has been on my list with guys like Stover, Nesbit, the kid from Penn State, Spann-Ford.

Are any of them year 1 contributors though (that might just be Bowers and Sanders)? I have no issue with a developmental guy - hell Year 3 is Turner's make or break year. 

The problem with paying more money to Shultz is that he and Logan are pretty comparable and I don’t know this for sure but I’m guessing Logan is a better blocker bc he weighs 10 pounds more than Shultz.

Logan didn’t have a bad season considering the inconsistency in the OL to allow Sam to get the ball to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th read & the inconsistency that Sam had as a 1st year starter.

Despite that, we all know there were a handful of passes that Logan dropped this year that he should’ve caught. Ones that definitely stuck out to me are the one vs Arizona in week 1 & the one vs the Jets.

I’m all about drafting another TE though who can probably beat out Bates or Turner to be Logan’s back up and who knows, maybe that mid round pick will win the job like Cooley did in 2004.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The problem with paying more money to Shultz is that he and Logan are pretty comparable and I don’t know this for sure but I’m guessing Logan is a better blocker bc he weighs 10 pounds more than Shultz.

All other things equal, Schultz is younger and you change the cap hit. That’s all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

All other things equal, Schultz is younger and you change the cap hit. That’s all. 

All things aren’t equal though. We’ll be paying more $ for Shultz to be comparable to Logan. Maybe not next year as Shultz’s 2024 cap hit wouldn’t be high in his 1st year in a new deal but his 2nd year plus would get expensive.

54 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

All things aren’t equal though. We’ll be paying more $ for Shultz to be comparable to Logan. Maybe not next year as Shultz’s 2024 cap hit wouldn’t be high in his 1st year in a new deal but his 2nd year plus would get expensive.

I said the cap hit would change. You’re replacing Logan with someone younger for longer. That’s all I alluded to. It was an option. I did mention just keeping Logan too. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:06 AM, Slappy Mc said:

I respectfully disagree. Chicago, if they trade out of #1, is going to get a haul. Jon Allen and #2 for #1 is not that. 

What Haul are they going to get that is better than Allen & the #2 that still guarantees they get MH JR?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rizzy said:

What Haul are they going to get that is better than Allen & the #2 that still guarantees they get MH JR?

For starters something that includes a 1st round pick next year. I'm sure NE would trade more to jump us. 

24 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

For starters something that includes a 1st round pick next year. I'm sure NE would trade more to jump us. 

I mean, all of this depends on how the Bears have players graded. My guess is they're going to want a younger player like they got last year from the Panthers. They'll at least want their second round pick back and probably our two thirds. So you're talking something like "Emmanuel Forbes/Jahan Dotson/Brian Robinson + 40+67+100" for the first pick. And who knows, they might even ask for more? I'm not doing that and I'm also not dealing with all the drama surrounding Caleb Williams. His dad appears to be a pain in the *** already. If he's there with our natural pick I'd absolutely take him but I'm totally fine sitting at 2 and taking Maye and keeping all of our resources to build around him. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, all of this depends on how the Bears have players graded. My guess is they're going to want a younger player like they got last year from the Panthers. They'll at least want their second round pick back and probably our two thirds. So you're talking something like "Emmanuel Forbes/Jahan Dotson/Brian Robinson + 40+67+100" for the first pick. And who knows, they might even ask for more? I'm not doing that and I'm also not dealing with all the drama surrounding Caleb Williams. His dad appears to be a pain in the *** already. If he's there with our natural pick I'd absolutely take him but I'm totally fine sitting at 2 and taking Maye and keeping all of our resources to build around him. 

I think that’s higher than the price should be for us to move from 2 to 1, but I absolutely agree with your ultimate conclusion.

I absolutely love what Caleb Williams is capable of, but I just can’t justify paying some high price to go from Maye to Williams. The drama with Caleb continues to concern me. A lot. How many guys come in with that amount of drama — at the age of 22 — and end up being stable franchise players? It’s enough of a concern that I just can’t pay a premium to sign on for it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You guys know me. I went ballistic when we traded 3 firsts and a second to move up to draft Robert. I don't mind moving up when the compensation makes sense. But to move up a single spot, I'm not giving up a king's ransom. I'll sit tight and take the next QB that falls. From what I heard on 106.7(forget which show) -> A lot of GMs have privately said that Caleb and Drake are the two QBs that are head and shoulders above the rest of the class and would have gone 1-2 in the past 6 drafts (even over Burrow). If that's the case, I sit tight and hope someone takes Caleb (while I love his skillset I think he's another QB that has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head - I also think Lincoln Riley's system has done him no favors in terms of having to watch the high safeties on deep routes) and then take Drake. 

If someone trades in front of us to take Drake? I either roll the dice on Caleb (not preferred) or trade back with NE and let them take Caleb. Then take Daniels at #4.

At this point I'm just hoping that we DON'T trade up to #1 and that any other team (other than the Giants) picks at #1 and takes Caleb. I want Drake.

• Like 3

I like Caleb Williams. I think he is absolutely the best/most talented QB in this draft. I think he’ll most likely be a very good player but I also think he’ll be one of those guys that wants an astronomical deal the rest of the roster be damned. I think his father represents a headache much in the same way Kam Curls dad is a headache. I’m also not totally convinced the Bears and other organizations are not put off by all this stuff and I’m not totally convinced Drake Maye doesn’t end up first overall because of it. 

Im also not totally convinced there’s as big of a gap between Drake and Caleb as fans seem to think there is. If I had to guess at this moment Caleb goes number one but I think as the draft draws near Drake pulls ahead of Caleb when teams have the opportunity to interview these two. Personally I think one wants to be a star and a brand and the other just wants to play football. It may sound crazy right now but I also wouldn’t be shocked to see teams move Daniels ahead of Williams come draft day as well. Teams have proven over the years they’re more than willing to pass on talented players who may ultimately be a headache. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Penix is going to be a late 2nd early 3rd round pick. He’s this years Hendon Hooker/Malik Willis/Kyle Trask who people claim is going to go high up in the draft and ends up going exactly where he should. A bunch of people saw him for the first time ever in that playoff game and fell head over heels. He’s a good kid who doesn’t do anything exceptionally well and is always hurt. He’ll be a career back up.