The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Just now, MikeT14 said:

He was still being called a mid round pick partially through the season.

I can't find the post, but I posted a crap ton of QBs who had a "big bump" going into their last year. It happens pretty often. The results were very much a mixed bag. 

The only one that I can find remotely similar is Kenny Pickett. I use him because he started a ton of games going into his 5th season and then made a massive leap. I'm not trying to say Daniels is going to suck but I think Maye is just much further along than Daniels was at his age. I think Daniels having so many starts and throwing to two stud receivers has elevated his game. I have no clue what to really think of Daniels as a prospect but I don't see him in the same tier as Williams or Maye?

Just now, ripsean21 said:

He played at ASU dude!!! They have turned out what QB prospect ever? Like he killed it for the players around him. Then you talk about playing with his 5 stars at LSU yes he killed it. Imagine if he had 2 years there.

Name one Mac Brown QB who didn’t put up good number? Maye hasn’t won any big games. Like we are falling in love at this forum with a Daniel Jones type for the number two pick. I’m not even saying take Daniels at 2 and people are bashing it because I think he’s actually great at something that relates to winning.

Jayden Daniels did have two years at LSU lol. This was his second season being a starter there. He had 26 starts for LSU and 29 for ASU. He started nearly just as many games for both schools. 

So Daniels playing at ASU is an excuse but Maye only having Bryson Nesbit to throw too for weeks isn't a good excuse? lol. I watched Daniel Jones in college and I watched Maye. Many people questioned whether Jones was even a first round pick, let alone a top 10 pick. Comparing Maye and Jones is silly. Maye is far, far more talented than Jones. That would be like me saying Jayden Daniels is similar to Kellen Mond. 

I love seeing everyone tearing down one QB to try to prop up another. The bottom line is, none of them are can't miss QBs because this is an average QB class and nothing more. There is a good chance that none of the "top 3" QBs pan out to be QBotF, but we gotta have something to talk about leading up to the draft.

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wish my QB put up Jayden Daniel's "pedestrian" 2022 numbers. 

That’s a statement on your QB, more than it is Daniels’s 2022 numbers.

His 2022 season is largely indistinguishable from guys like Riley Leonard and John Rhys Plumlee. He was a senior (4th year starter) throwing to a group that included Malik Nabers, Kayshon Boutte, Brian Thomas, Kyren Lacy, and Mason Taylor. And all he could manage was 7.5 Y/A and a mid-140s passer rating? That’s sort of the definition of pedestrian, especially if you factor in the context of the talent around him.

I was a big Daniels fan when he first came on the scene at ASU. He was an extremely interesting prospect with his performance as a freshman, both in the numbers and on the film. But it’s impossible to say he didn’t stagnate for three years after that. He totally vanished until last season. 

And I do have to say, I get tired of hearing about Daniels and a Lamar comp. Style of play, okay. But Lamar was so much better in college than Daniels that it’s hard to swallow anything beyond that. Lamar dragged a really bad Louisville team to respectability (and a Heisman) by age 20. At age 20, Jayden Daniels was in the midst of the COVID season. His next year, during which he turned 21, he was out there throwing 10 TDs and 10 picks for ASU and then ending up transferring out. Lamar won his first NFL MVP at the same age Daniels finally broke out in college. They're not the same, in terms of the class they’re in as prospects.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I love seeing everyone tearing down one QB to try to prop up another. The bottom line is, none of them are can't miss QBs because this is an average QB class and nothing more. There is a good chance that none of the "top 3" QBs pan out to be QBotF, but we gotta have something to talk about leading up to the draft.

I think the truth is there’s only one you can actually prop up. 2 barring injuries but Penix has bad injuries. That’s basically where I’m at I’m not actually defending Daniels. I like him but he isn’t a guy I consider drafting where he’s being proper to be drafted. I can only say why I see him being there and I actually agree with what your saying completely I don’t see this class like their getting projected

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Let’s take the last 8-10 QB drafts.

Which of those QB classes do you feel are better from a prospect standpoint than this one? If we can, let’s try to keep hindsight out of it as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

His 2022 season is largely indistinguishable from guys like Riley Leonard and John Rhys Plumlee. He was a senior (4th year starter) throwing to a group that included Malik Nabers, Kayshon Boutte, Brian Thomas, Kyren Lacy, and Mason Taylor. And all he could manage was 7.5 Y/A and a mid-140s passer rating? That’s sort of the definition of pedestrian, especially if you factor in the context of the talent around him.

I was a big Daniels fan when he first came on the scene at ASU. He was an extremely interesting prospect with his performance as a freshman, both in the numbers and on the film. But it’s impossible to say he didn’t stagnate for three years after that. He totally vanished until last season. 

And I do have to say, I get tired of hearing about Daniels and a Lamar comp. Style of play, okay. But Lamar was so much better in college than Daniels that it’s hard to swallow anything beyond that. Lamar dragged a really bad Louisville team to respectability (and a Heisman) by age 20. At age 20, Jayden Daniels was in the midst of the COVID season. His next year, during which he turned 21, he was out there throwing 10 TDs and 10 picks for ASU and then ending up transferring out. Lamar won his first NFL MVP at the same age Daniels finally broke out in college. They're not the same, in terms of the class they’re in as prospects.

Yep. Lamar was dominating college as a 19-year old. The comparison of Daniels to Lamar is just not even remotely close in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't know dude? I think this is one of the better QB classes in a long time. Williams, Maye and Daniels are all going in the top 5. Penix, Nix and McCarthy may also end up in the first round. Its pretty solid. Now I don't know if any will be a success but its a much better year than usual to need a QB.

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You should see my QB play since Logan Thomas. It's been mostly rough. 

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Let’s take the last 8-10 QB drafts.

Which of those QB classes do you feel are better from a prospect standpoint than this one? If we can, let’s try to keep hindsight out of it as much as possible.

I'm not as high on any of the QBs this year, like a lot of you are. I think Caleb Williams is the most talented of the class, but he comes with serious question marks.

From the last 8-10 QB classes:

2023: I would give the slight edge to the 2024 class. Young, Stroud and Richardson were the top end and Will Levis, Hendon Hooker and Stetson Bennett were all receiving early to mid round grades.

2022: This was a terrible QB class. 2024 easily looks the better class.

2021: Trevor Lawrence is a better prospect than any QB this year. I said it. While 2024 could end up being better, I don't think it will and I have 2021 class over 2024 class.

2020: Another really good class. Would select Joe Burrow over any QB this year. I didn't have Tua highly rated and I did not see Herbert coming through the way he did. I would choose the 2020 class over 2024.

2019: Kyler Murray was the gem of this class and his height was a serious concern. The rest of the class was meh. 2024 class has the potential to be better.

2018: Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson were all 1st round picks. This class was easily better from a prospect standpoint than 2024.

2017: Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson lead the class as 1st round picks. I was the highest on Deshaun Watson if I remember correctly. Mitch Trubisky is a good comparison for the 2nd QB of this class. Trubisky went #2 overall so who knows. I think draft prospect-wise, this is about where I see the QBs this year. Everyone wants Williams who will most likely go #1. Then Maye or Daniels should be selected in the 10-12 range. This is probably a push draft with 2024.

2016: Jared Goff and Carson Wentz draft. They were pretty comparable to 2024 with neither prospect garnering the attention Williams is getting. I think this is either a push or a slight edge to 2024.

2015: Jameis Winston made this much harder than it needed to be with his crab legs thing. Him and Marcus Mariota were highly touted but for different reasons. I think Caleb Williams is a better prospect than both of these guys especially with Jameis's crab legs theft thing. 2024 edge.

That puts them at 4 that they were better than, 3 not better than and 1 push out of the last 8 years... so an average QB class. Nothing special.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

The bottom line is, none of them are can't miss QBs because this is an average QB class and nothing more. There is a good chance that none of the "top 3" QBs pan out to be QBotF, but we gotta have something to talk about leading up to the draft.

52 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't know dude? I think this is one of the better QB classes in a long time. Williams, Maye and Daniels are all going in the top 5. Penix, Nix and McCarthy may also end up in the first round. Its pretty solid. Now I don't know if any will be a success but its a much better year than usual to need a QB.

I think both these statements can be simultaneously true.

The beautiful thing is that we can get a qb without mortgaging the future and still have a heck of a lot of resources to improve the team.  

• Like 1

Everyone here should know my pick is Williams hands down however he hasn't declare for the 2024 NFL draft and I am unaware at this time when is the deadline to enter.  If I!!! had to choose between Maye and Daniels it would be Daniels. I have already explained  my love for these types of mobile QB. However I would listen to trade offers. You have to even if Williams does enter the draft. Now I said I would listen there's always a chance someone make you and offer you can't refuse.